• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lubing the jet pump bearing

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my boat is already in storage. Yes, its sad. I did the 10hr maintenance this summer. I wasn't sure how to lube the pump bearing but was surprised to find a zerk fitting with a hose at the back of my engine. I pumped grease until I could feel the grease gun getting harder to pump. I did probably add a little too much grease to one side as the hose from the zerk fitting moved down a little. I was glad the zerk fittings were at the back of my engine because there is no way I would have been able to get to the actual bearing housing.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe you just pump until the hose that goes down to the housing is tight/you can't squeeze it anymore ... when I did my 10 hour maintenance it was quite a few pumps, the last two years it's been 1-2 pumps per maintenance session. Others will more than likely have more technical information on this piece. :D

Rideitout

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Going by the recommended amount of grease in the owner's manual, I used a digital kitchen scale onto which I pumped some grease and counted how many pumps it took to achieve the correct amount of grease. I then put that many pumps of grease in the bearing housing.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's actually a sealed bearing. You're just keeping the seal from drying out with the grease. I didn't know if mine had been done regularly when I bought my boat so I took the bottom of the hose off and pumped all the nasty old dried up grease out by pushing new grease through. Then hooked it back up and added a couple pumps until the hose was firm.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
bought mine used at 50hrs....im guessing it has never been done before so I used multi-use marine grease on the bearing...took about 4~5 pumps. but I am going to do 1~2 pumps every 10~15 hrs as a preventative measure. wouldn't hurt

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have a video of this being performed? I need to do this!

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My new 2015 sx190 doesn't have the house and is just a zerk fitting right on the housing....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would be very careful when adding grease to that bearing as the fitting is on the housing now and the older ones had a hose with a fitting on them making greasing them easier but here is what can happen, the housing is bonded to rubber , that rubber keeps water from entering the boat between the housing and the seals on the driveshaft. The grease just travels through a hole drilled in the rubber between the grease fitting and the bearings, so if you pump the grease in too hard it can separate the rubber from the housing thus allowing your boat to take on water pretty fast, I am very careful not to do more than 1 or 2 pumps and then I release the pressure by pressing in the ball on the end of the hose. I put fitting and hoses back on my newer style bearings because it is a lot easier to grease them.
I think honestly adding a vent tube with a cap would be a better way to make that bearing as you could replace the grease by pumping it in and catching the old grease, plus you would get a heads up if your seals were leaking by inspecting the old grease exiting the bearing housing. I posted some pictures a few years ago on Y J B showing the rubber separating and allowing water in to destroy the bearings etc. When I replace mine next time I will add a vent tube to them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here are a few of the pictures On one I placed toot picks in the spot where the grease enters the housing and the hole in the rubber that the grease actually travels through to get to the bearing, in that picture it should be easy to see how forcing grease in can separate the rubber from the aluminum housing.

Attachments

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everytime I see this this thread I think of the pump bearing, behind the impeller, and under the cone. Different than what is being discussed.

A better description of this bearing is the drive shaft front bearing or intermediate bearing. I think, experts could chime in.

Just my opinion.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you are correct the intermediate bearing on the drive shaft not the pump

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the picture you can see that the rubber completely separated from the aluminum housing, on a good one the two are bonded together .

RForester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this... I didn't realize that needed to be done, my bad. I had noticed a rattle last weekend, so seeing this post the other night rang a bell with me. I put about 12 pumps into each one. I have 50 hours on my boat and I had never had it done. It fixed the problem and is now running smooth again. Question, Han water leak into the engine compartment of the seals are not kept?

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are these fittings on my 2007 AR230?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the seals leak water gets in the bearing and the hull.
Yes the 07 has a hose behind each engine with a cap over a grease fitting this is how you pump grease in to your drive shaft bearing

Ajax

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is 2-4-c marine grease acceptable for this bearing.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

SpotsyBoy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
pump bearing, behind the impeller, and under the cone. Different than what is being discussed.

A better description of this bearing is the drive shaft front bearing or intermediate bearing.
I'm looking to grease my boat for the first time. Bought a used '10 AR240 this summer w/ 129 hrs. Put 30 hrs myself. Engines sounded a little "rattly" this past Saturday. Hoping/guessing just needs to be greased.

I'm guessing the housing/intermediate bearing is the one on the engine. Problem is I have no idea how many pumps to put in it. I winterized myself today and have already removed the batteries. 1) is it okay to grease housing bearing w/o running it 2) have no idea how many pumps to put in it-read several posts saying not to overdue it b/c it may break the seal.

Also, how do I grease the cone bearings? Is there a separate connection for it? If so, can you tell me where its located?