• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lubricant / Protection for Saltwater

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been reading multiple threads on what folks do to protect our boats/trailers from salt. Is there concensus on the best recommended lubricants for the rear of the boat, engines, and trailer components?

From what I've seen most use Yamalube, Yamashield, basic Silicone Spray, etc. Do I need different things for different areas or is there one for everything?

We're going to start running in salt and want to do whatever I can to keep things protected to the extent possible.

Thanks!

CorrossionX. They have an “HD” version which is great for the hose clamps in the engine bay and bilge (treat once a year and you are set).

SaltX/Salt-Away diluted in a spray bottled to rinse the trailer springs/hubs after launching/retrieving. And the flush kit for engine flushing.

As for the nozzle and cables in the back - any standard marine grease should do.

Some folks like the CRC 656 for the running gear (jet nozzles, ride plates ect..) buy it by the gallon and put in a garden sprayer, works well on the motors too. As long is everything is clean and dry. I like the Corrosion X as well for just what @VitaminSea was commenting on. If you have the original shorelander trailer, Your trailer brakes are going to be trashed, actuator, caliper piston, pads, leaf springs. I would rinse those off with a sprayer as mentioned above, after you launch and after you retrieve. I upgraded mine to stainless, which sucked for the cost of it all. but the actuator up front doesn't come in stainless, and you cant rinse it worth a damn because its tuck in there tight. It might be worth it to pull the actuator out of the Tongue and treat it with LPS3, heavy duty spray wax, or whatever you flavor. The old timers swear by WD-40 on the whole brake assembly once it is dry from rinsing. Spray it all over the calipers, rotors ect. It will burn off the pads the first time you stop.

I use CorrosionX on the running gear and trailer parts, and Yamaha Silicone protectant or whatever its called, on the engines and hinges etc..
This is how i treat both the boat and waverunner and so far no issues.

Some folks like the CRC 656 for the running gear (jet nozzles, ride plates ect..) buy it by the gallon and put in a garden sprayer, works well on the motors too. As long is everything is clean and dry. I like the Corrosion X as well for just what @VitaminSea was commenting on. If you have the original shorelander trailer, Your trailer brakes are going to be trashed, actuator, caliper piston, pads, leaf springs. I would rinse those off with a sprayer as mentioned above, after you launch and after you retrieve. I upgraded mine to stainless, which sucked for the cost of it all. but the actuator up front doesn't come in stainless, and you cant rinse it worth a damn because its tuck in there tight. It might be worth it to pull the actuator out of the Tongue and treat it with LPS3, heavy duty spray wax, or whatever you flavor. The old timers swear by WD-40 on the whole brake assembly once it is dry from rinsing. Spray it all over the calipers, rotors ect. It will burn off the pads the first time you stop.

Thanks - I hadn't thought about the trailer actuator.

I use CorrosionX on the running gear and trailer parts, and Yamaha Silicone protectant or whatever its called, on the engines and hinges etc..
This is how i treat both the boat and waverunner and so far no issues.

Thanks - been reading on CorrosionX and sounds like good stuff.

I have had good results with fluid flim. Coats everything with film that lasts a few trips out.

Back