• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much GPS capability do I really need? Also, looking for recommendations.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u did you ever make a decision?

This is the link to what I have. https://jetboaters.net/threads/good-navigation-unit-reccomendation.30540/post-495966

My depth gauge and speedometer were both not working and I just figured by the time I bought the stuff to fix each of them I was going to have almost enough $$ wrapped up to just buy the Garmin. Now I have the mapping, depth, water temp, speed, sonar and whatever else the unit is capable of. I've had no issues with not being able to see the screen because of the sun and also like being able to just unclip it and take the head unit with me when we leave the boat in the slip. No wires or anything to undo.
I was ready to invest $ when my speedo stopped working... My pitot at the stern was damaged somehow. Cheap fix on amazon for a replacement. Just blew out the line and validated the tube passed water to the dash at the back of the speedo with a syringe... installed the new pitot using the existing holes, 4200 things up and used the new screws in the old holes. Good as new. The older boats like we have, kind of dig the analog. It just works.

Dietzen34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@2kwik4u

I attached a dxf and sldprt file for the dash. You will need to change the file extension from .dwg to .dxf/.sldprt as they are not a supported filetype by the forum. Hopefully this works, otherwise I can email them your way.

Your mounting holes might be different so I would double check that. Otherwise mine was worked pretty well. I found a picture of the dash hole before I trimmed it but couldn't find any other pictures of the install. The red circle is roughly what I had to cut out. The red and black wires are what I used for power, it was labeled GPS with nothing hooked up to it.

1610992063681.png

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, we're 99% a go for a Destin/Navarre FL trip this summer. Does this change my plan any? Is the salt water treacherous enough that I'll DEFINITELY need to get a dedicated unit?

I've got Navionics on the phone now (bought it last week), so I'll be "stress testing" that setup on my local inland lakes before the trip. I suspect that will flush out any major issues before then. Just didn't know if the new planned trip had a definite effect on my path.

Thoughts?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m heading to Destin in March. It’ll be our first time away from rivers & lakes & in big water. I’ll let you know how well my Garmin works and helps me out behind a newbie down there. I’m sure as long as you have something for navigation you’ll be fine.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2kwik4u

I attached a dxf and sldprt file for the dash. You will need to change the file extension from .dwg to .dxf/.sldprt as they are not a supported filetype by the forum. Hopefully this works, otherwise I can email them your way.

Your mounting holes might be different so I would double check that. Otherwise mine was worked pretty well. I found a picture of the dash hole before I trimmed it but couldn't find any other pictures of the install. The red circle is roughly what I had to cut out. The red and black wires are what I used for power, it was labeled GPS with nothing hooked up to it.

View attachment 140376
Those attachments were corrupted. Brought me to navionics page of Lake Champlain

Dietzen34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Those attachments were corrupted. Brought me to navionics page of Lake Champlain
The forum only allowed for .dwg files to be uploaded so I changed the file extension to that.

They are files for solidworks and a dxf program. You need to rename the extension to the corresponding file type, .dxf or .sldprt for them to open while using a supported program.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m heading to Destin in March. It’ll be our first time away from rivers & lakes & in big water. I’ll let you know how well my Garmin works and helps me out behind a newbie down there. I’m sure as long as you have something for navigation you’ll be fine.
I'll be anxiously awaiting your review.

I'm as excited as I am nervous about the whole trip. Big set of plans for us considering the distance, the salt water, and of course the dumb arse pandemic.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We were in Panama City beach early September and it felt that no one seemed to care that there is a pandemic going on. Almost zero masks too.

We actually brought everything with us including food and water and made only fuel stops with gloves and masks. Kind of a hassle but the kids were glad to get out of the house after 6 months

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Soooo.......I love my wife. I really do. Sometimes I wish she wasn't so good at making REALLY REALLY obvious observations that I didn't see.

Years ago, with our first kid, I was working up this USB powered fan setup for the baby's stroller. Had a USB pack, a USB powered fan, and a small solar panel to charge it. I was really proud of what I came up with, and it was only going to set us back $55. Baby is kept cool all day, and we're not out a TON of cash. She asks why we don't get one of those stroller fans that are made for that, and send me a link to a $9 battery powered stroller fan with foam blades and overnight shipping on Amazon.........Yeap, ya got me there!

This time it was discussing the need for a dash mounted GPS in case we were caught in a rain storm AND needed the GPS at the same time. I didn't want to risk having just the phone as a primary navigation device since getting it soaked would probably mean it wouldn't work any longer. I'm discussing the benefits, and installation hiccups, mounting, and a ton of other very fine details when it appears she's zoned out. NOPE, just finding a link to this cellphone dry bag on Amazon. $9 solution to the problem that is painfully obvious now that I think about it.

Thanks honey!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Soooo.......I love my wife. I really do. Sometimes I wish she wasn't so good at making REALLY REALLY obvious observations that I didn't see.

Years ago, with our first kid, I was working up this USB powered fan setup for the baby's stroller. Had a USB pack, a USB powered fan, and a small solar panel to charge it. I was really proud of what I came up with, and it was only going to set us back $55. Baby is kept cool all day, and we're not out a TON of cash. She asks why we don't get one of those stroller fans that are made for that, and send me a link to a $9 battery powered stroller fan with foam blades and overnight shipping on Amazon.........Yeap, ya got me there!

This time it was discussing the need for a dash mounted GPS in case we were caught in a rain storm AND needed the GPS at the same time. I didn't want to risk having just the phone as a primary navigation device since getting it soaked would probably mean it wouldn't work any longer. I'm discussing the benefits, and installation hiccups, mounting, and a ton of other very fine details when it appears she's zoned out. NOPE, just finding a link to this cellphone dry bag on Amazon. $9 solution to the problem that is painfully obvious now that I think about it.

Thanks honey!
I still have my old Garmin from when I had the Yami 192 you can have. It's not brand spanking new but works just fine. PM me if interested.

lopjester

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello, this is my first time with a boat, so I’m trying to figure out the best marine GPS for iPhone between Navionics, C-Map, Wavve boating, iNavX, Maptech iPlot, and SeaPilot. I used Navionics in my first time in the water but my screen turning off every time in my iPhone.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, this is my first time with a boat, so I’m trying to figure out the best marine GPS for iPhone between Navionics, C-Map, Wavve boating, iNavX, Maptech iPlot, and SeaPilot. I used Navionics in my first time in the water but my screen turning off every time in my iPhone.
Either keep it plugged into power. For Navionics, in app Settings turn off auto-lock

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like Nacionics maps better then C-MAP but C-Map does sync waypoints and routes wirelessly to my Simrad

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, going off of the first post..

Awesome you are going to get paper maps and a compass.

You need a unit that utilizes GPS and not a cell tower generated location.

You want a unit that is water proof, not water resistant, water proof, I think the rating is IP67, good for immersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes, I think I have that right but you get my point.

The screen needs to be readily readable in direct sunlight, and yet has a night setting to limit the erosion of your night vision-red flash lights are also desirable for night usage and reading maps.

Since the Yamaha boats do not utilize a NEMA 2000 bus, I do not think that you will be able to display engine gauges, fuel level etc. Go and have a look at @zackadams posts for his 252 FSH. I believe he set up a NEMA bus but only for his Simrad head unit, trolling motor and radar.

Mapping-I have a Solix 10” and use Lake Master chips. These are very good maps, and the plotter / chart page has the ability to set water offset or the current depth of the water, you look up your lake say on the USBR page and fInd the current depth, compare that to the full pool depth and then set the water off set. Say the lake is 10’ down, you’d set the water offset at -10. You mentioned Mead and Powell, both are down a lot right now but will be coming back up, these waters are treacherous as the water lowers, they call the big boulders white whales. But the main thing is being able to set the water level at whatever number of feet below full pool, this changes the landscape dramatically. Also, in my unit, you can set a couple of highlight depths, the important one for you is the shallow water setting, which has a audible alarm if you so desire, if you don’t you don’t have to have it, but this shallow water alarm can be set for any depth regardless of your shallow water shading. Anyway, having the red highlighted shallow water is great, I set it to 10’ or less when I was at Powell last summer when the water was 150’ low, at my home lakes I run it at 5’. You can also set the highlighted depths so to speak for deep blue for shallow up to light blue as the water gets shallower. On this mapping page, you can also have; source voltage, speed over ground, course over ground, depth, water temp and time, again, you choose what you want to see. As you travel it leaves a track behind the little boat avatar on the screen, allows you to save tracks, like a known safe track out of your portage. I can tell you that as the water level has dropped at some of the local reservoirs that are intended for farming, and the water level is down 18‘ at one of them, having that level of definition of the reservoirs depths is pretty darn useful.

Transducer-I get you do not want to fish, the transducer not only shows depth it also shows water temp. While the unit does have 2D sonar, it also has down imaging and side imaging. You may not think that these pages would serve you, consider this, while a depth meter / sonar shows depth, the 2D sonar shows the bottom, the down imaging shows structures like trees, rocks, etc.. pretty amazing stuff. Same with the side imaging, amazing views of the bottom structure. Might be pretty useful pages when you are out exploring. I use the DI when pulling into a cove and want to go swimming, I can see trees, grass etc. The transducer shows depth and you can check that against your chart while on the water to verify the accuracy of the reported water depth at a given location.

The nice thing about making an investment in a MFD that is expensive, is that when you decide to move to another boat, you just take it with you, leaving only the wiring and transducer with the boat.

The VHF radio you choose, whether portable or fixed mounted should display the gps coordinates at any give time. The hand held portable units are limited to 5 watts, the base units are 26 watts of transmit power. You will need an antenna of at least 4’ in length to get an appreciable distance. If you are short on dash real estate, and want the power of the base unit, ICOM I think makes a base unit who‘s main head is mounted in a cabinet the microphone is a command mike with on/off, channel selector, gps coordinates etc.. other than the mic itself, the only thing on the dash is a port to plug the mic into. I can tell you from experience that the hand held radios are pretty limited as far as range. I’ll be putting a base station on my boat this winter, probably one of those ICOM radios I mentioned.

Getting help-While the vhf radio is good, a gps based emergency locator beacon is the way to go. There are several on the market, the marine based ones are probably the best. But Garmin makes a unit called InReach and uses your cell phone via Bluetooth to communicate via satellite and there is a subscription involved. For your case an ACR ACR ResQLink 400 PLB – Floating Personal Locator Beacon | The GPS Store might be better, just keep it on the boat and when you need it pull out the antenna and hit the button, even has a strobe I believe. For comms, if you were going to be a ways out, like on Powell, renting a SAT phone is the way to go.

For traveling at night, most likely you are not going to be on plane, but you still need to see, so a hand held spot light that will work off of the boats electrical system would be good to have. There some excellent LED spot lights out there. I have an old Q Beam, 1 million candle power (thats how they used to measure lights brightness) hand held light that runs off of the 12V power point. This a simple solution that doesn’t take up hardly any space, you can run the light while driving or your co pilot can hold it.

Having a ditch bag / go bag is a good idea as well. One bag that you can grab that will have the essentials needed to survive until help arrives. These are not cheap, none of this stuff is. My solution is dry bags, I can easily clip there straps together and they will float.

Here’s a saying I once heard that I thought was great. I had said I’d rather be lucky than good, a colleague nearby heard that and said “Luck favors those that are prepared”. I just love that saying.

You’ve got ambitious fun plans, with a little bit of preparation, and arguably some serious coin, you will be prepared for a bad day that hopefully never comes. But if it does come you will have made the preparations to live through it in relative comfort and tell the tale.

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
I use a tripltek 8" pro made for the sun. The battery last's over 10 hours a day on the whole time.