• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much GPS capability do I really need? Also, looking for recommendations.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently I have very limited GPS capability. I have a cellphone with limited coverage, and no downloadable maps. HOWEVER, I've not ventured far from home, typically only during the daylight hours, and I somewhat "know" the lakes from years of time spent as a kid on them. For the most part I've always been on inland fresh water lakes, they're fairly deep in general, and they're often flooded rivers, so it's not overly difficult to "get lost" on them. So, I've never considered myself to need GPS at much of any level, or at all really. I just didn't run aground, and went back the way I came.

The family wants to travel with the boat this year. This is going to include going to some larger lakes, and possibly some salt water. Larger lakes are going to be Dale Hollow, Cumberland for certain. Would love to hit some lakes out west like Mead and Powell at some point. Then possibly some time in the Keys, and maybe the Gulf up near the pan handle of Florida. This makes me a little nervous as we explore new waterways that are large enough to "get turned around" on, as well as approaching anything on salt water. I want to make sure I can find my way home, or, even in the worst case, provide accurate coordinates for someone to come help us. (I'll be researching radios as well as part of my "gearing up" this spring, but that's another day). My ultimate goal here is to be able to hop in the boat, pilot out to see neat things, and be able to find my way home, possibly in the dark, in somewhat unfamiliar waters. I could probably get by with just my phone, and a downloaded section of google maps, but want something a little more robust as a permanent mounted solution. I think we'll eventually explore further, and find more interesting places if we have a little bit of a security blanket of GPS to get us home. I'll also be stocking the boat with paper maps and a compass as well, just in case.

SO, I'm curious what level of GPS device I need. I have ZERO desire to fish, so I feel like sonar and other transducers aren't really needed. Wouldn't mind knowing depth (My AR190 doesn't have a depth gage) and water temp, but I'm not sure if that is necessary. I initially thought, I'll just get the Navionics app and use my phone all the time. I've been out in a storm or two, and I DO NOT want to be holding a device while attempting to pilot the boat in the rain. Just another thing to drop/lose/get soaked/etc. I'm also pretty convinced I don't need a giant screen. I'm thinking something in the 6-8in range (little larger than a cellphone, but maybe not quite tablet sized) might work for me. Would like it to be hard wired into the boats electrical system, so no charging cords laying around or forgotten to be plugged in.

Would a tablet in an otterbox with a dedicated cable and mount work OK? That seems pretty usable both on the boat, and elsewhere.
Anyone have any recommendations on products they've used?
Anything look good for my use case?
Should I get a plotter that integrates with a VHF for future saltwater/emergency usage?
Do they make something that can integrate NMEA signals from the powertrain to see fuel usage and things like that? Is that even "worth it"?
What the heck kind of budget should I be looking at? Navionics is like $15. I'm sure the sky is the limit. What should I expect?

I'm really overwhelmed by the number of choices, and options, and I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis here. I'm open to all levels of advice here, I just really don't know where to start.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Up until recently I have never fished either. So, you never know. I have always used Garmin as my preferred choice and some prefer Simrad. You definitely don't want to use your phone as the only source of guidance. The latest GPS unit I purchase and installed is the Garmin Echomap Plus 73Cv with G3 Coast Waterways and RAM mount. I love this for it's size and the fact it is touch screen. Having to push/toggle buttons is not fun (but it works). I like redundancy with knowing depths. The boat tells me the depth as well as the GPS unit. This requires a transducer of some type (thru hull, in hull or one mounted to the transom). Since I boat a lot at night, I never leave without it.

The maps can be updated with either brand and both can cover lakes (which is what you're looking for). Just make sure to purchase the unit with the proper map covering the lake you use. There are several.

The sky is the limit but purchased my Garmin for $400 and the Ram mount was $40. Look for refurb units as it can save you some $$ (if you're comfortable with that).

You can never be too safe out there. Good luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Navionics on a tablet is an option, but I've heard (not personal experience) that many tablets overheat in the sun while running GPS in the heat.

So if the tablet approach is to risky, I'd just add a fixed GPS. I've always had Garmins, but there are lots to chose from. I would never buy another that didn't have a touch screen.

rayski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Currently I have very limited GPS capability. I have a cellphone with limited coverage, and no downloadable maps. HOWEVER, I've not ventured far from home, typically only during the daylight hours, and I somewhat "know" the lakes from years of time spent as a kid on them. For the most part I've always been on inland fresh water lakes, they're fairly deep in general, and they're often flooded rivers, so it's not overly difficult to "get lost" on them. So, I've never considered myself to need GPS at much of any level, or at all really. I just didn't run aground, and went back the way I came.

The family wants to travel with the boat this year. This is going to include going to some larger lakes, and possibly some salt water. Larger lakes are going to be Dale Hollow, Cumberland for certain. Would love to hit some lakes out west like Mead and Powell at some point. Then possibly some time in the Keys, and maybe the Gulf up near the pan handle of Florida. This makes me a little nervous as we explore new waterways that are large enough to "get turned around" on, as well as approaching anything on salt water. I want to make sure I can find my way home, or, even in the worst case, provide accurate coordinates for someone to come help us. (I'll be researching radios as well as part of my "gearing up" this spring, but that's another day). My ultimate goal here is to be able to hop in the boat, pilot out to see neat things, and be able to find my way home, possibly in the dark, in somewhat unfamiliar waters. I could probably get by with just my phone, and a downloaded section of google maps, but want something a little more robust as a permanent mounted solution. I think we'll eventually explore further, and find more interesting places if we have a little bit of a security blanket of GPS to get us home. I'll also be stocking the boat with paper maps and a compass as well, just in case.

SO, I'm curious what level of GPS device I need. I have ZERO desire to fish, so I feel like sonar and other transducers aren't really needed. Wouldn't mind knowing depth (My AR190 doesn't have a depth gage) and water temp, but I'm not sure if that is necessary. I initially thought, I'll just get the Navionics app and use my phone all the time. I've been out in a storm or two, and I DO NOT want to be holding a device while attempting to pilot the boat in the rain. Just another thing to drop/lose/get soaked/etc. I'm also pretty convinced I don't need a giant screen. I'm thinking something in the 6-8in range (little larger than a cellphone, but maybe not quite tablet sized) might work for me. Would like it to be hard wired into the boats electrical system, so no charging cords laying around or forgotten to be plugged in.

Would a tablet in an otterbox with a dedicated cable and mount work OK? That seems pretty usable both on the boat, and elsewhere.
Anyone have any recommendations on products they've used?
Anything look good for my use case?
Should I get a plotter that integrates with a VHF for future saltwater/emergency usage?
Do they make something that can integrate NMEA signals from the powertrain to see fuel usage and things like that? Is that even "worth it"?
What the heck kind of budget should I be looking at? Navionics is like $15. I'm sure the sky is the limit. What should I expect?

I'm really overwhelmed by the number of choices, and options, and I'm having a bit of analysis paralysis here. I'm open to all levels of advice here, I just really don't know where to start.
I have personally had my phone and an IPad overheat while using them for navigation. The dark screen and hot sun don’t mix well. I realize I am a safety geek, but I think a GPS navigator (with or without sounding capability) that is designed for the marine environment should be a necessity if you have any concern whatsoever about getting turned around. And before someone jumps me, yes, I remember the days before GPS! Just sayin, the technology is there to make us safer and give the most direct route back to the dock.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've had a Garmin Echomap Plus 63Cv on both of my boats and for $500 it's a pretty good unit. Has depth range shading (green/orange/red) so you can see if you're heading towards shallow water without squinting at some little black numbers on a single color screen. On my first boat I used a split display that had the chart on one side and the sonar/depth info on the other. My dealer recommended that I use the Yamaha depth finder that displays the data on the Connext screen on my current boat which allows me to use the entire Garmin screen for the chart which works well for my old eyes. I'm also getting a more accurate reading from the Yamaha depth finder (transducer is in the hull) and I don't have to worry about jet wash effecting the transom mounted transducer like I had on my first boat.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Ohio , but travel to Cumberland Lake , Norris Lake and this year to Ozark Lake. I use a Lowrance Hook 2 that has a 5.0" screen that is more than adequate. I do not fish, so just use the GPS, with lake vue installed. (came with unit.) I paid about $200.00, 3 years ago. One Item I like is it has a tail feature that if you use, it leaves a trail, which is easy to follow to get back to where you started. Can program in locations by GPS coordinates or easily mark spots once there to return later

Cumberland is easy enough to get around on with as it is one main drag though numerous bends, Norris is whole different animal with lots of channels and trees that can easily confuse you as to where you are at or what direction you are going. Being going down there 4 years, so now I am pretty familiar with it. but at first would definitely would have gotten lost , over 30 miles long from one end to the other.

Was also necessary at Ozark Lake, as was allot bigger than I realized and was needed to find gas on the lake.

Lots of great choices, but a piece of mind knowing you can get back to where you came , especially when its getting dark.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Basic is charts and a compass. Chart your way points and follow headings. A great skill to learn and teach for general navigation anywhere on earth IMO. Technology has made us all lazy with turn by turn gps directions. Remember having a road atlas? Remember looking for the next overpass on a highway indicating that was a place to turn around instead of waiting for software to reroute you? Turn by turn GPS does not work well in the wilderness and the same principles that apply on land also apply on the water and in the air. Having a general chart and compass navigation foundation helps when using a chart plotter.

Next step up is Navionics boating app. I have personally used this for around a decade. A mount for the phone/tablet along with a charging source is certainly more than preferred with this. Can always throw the phone/tablet in a cooler for a few minutes (I have done this to get tunes back in a hurry) to cool it down if needed and having a backup device handy is recommended for certain trips. I have used nothing more than an iPhone , an app, and a compass to navigate craggy coast lines, intercostal waterways, rivers, lakes, across the ocean, and around Bimini. Being able to chart and visualize my course or the area on the phone prior to the trip is great. I recommend this even if you do get a dedicated chart plotter. Before I head off anywhere I have an overview of where I am at in my head, know my heading, and spend much more time focused on the water around me than the screen.

Best is a dedicated chartpoltter. Lots of good ones out there in the 5-10 inch screen range that don't break the bank. Given the lack of a depth finder perhaps this is the best as that is important when in unfamiliar waters as most come with a transducer.

One of the nicest things out there in the software is dock to dock auto routing. Very convenient. No matter what option you choose don't get too focused on the screen/charts that you don't see what is going on around you and in the distance. I have found many lakes have their own traffic patterns that defy stand on, give way, pass to port to port, and even common sense. Also as pointed out earlier don't get so dependent on auto routing that you forget navigation fundamentals.

VHF/NMEA integration is not needed and is mostly overkill on a 19 foot vessel. I also recommend flying a tall flag so you can be spotted easier in bigger waters in a smaller vessel. Have an up to date emergency kit. File a float plan even if informally by telling someone where you are going and when you plan to be back. PLB devices have come way down in price and depending on your plans may be smart insurance.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventures!

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
More important than a gps is know how. Do you know how to read a marine chart? What the different buoys look like on the water or paper and what they mean? If not, consider taking a course with boatsus.org

If so, the Navionics app on a phone would suit you well. After an outing or two, if you feel you need more than perhaps a mounted marine chart plotter is in your future.

A portable vhf radio with dsc is also a great safety device. A cell phone can't talk to people 3000ft away if you don't know their number...

For boating at night, a compass would be a useful addition to the helm.

Last edited:

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have an old 4.3” non touch screen Garmin on our boat which can avoid getting too lost and is reliable onboard, but certainly not fun to use. The trail function does make returning easier - especially at night. I just ordered an otter box for an iPad I plan to dedicate to the boat with Navionics as a back up and for finding good restaurants on the water etc. The links to possible destinations and automatic routing will be helpful, as well as planning when not on the boat, as I can grab the iPad and review where we want to go before getting on the boat. I will keep the Garmin as a backup when the temps are too high or glare becomes problematic. I had planned on upgrading my Garmin, but for the limited times I need a bigger and better gps, I don’t really see the need. We will go to Lake of the Ozarks this summer and I have already located the house we rented and the closest ramp as well as several of the bars we know we want to visit. Dale Hollow is also a good size but we managed a few years ago with a chart and the small Garmin. We stayed at a house on Old Hickory before I had the Garmin and struggled to find the house we rented as I was looking one cove over- had limited visibility and couldn’t see landmarks I had counted on for dead reckoning- finally saw the very colorful dolphin the owner had on the dock and all was good!
I think Navionics on a phone or tablet is a good backup but think a proper marine gps makes sense for any critical needs. I always suggest getting a chart and getting somewhat familiar with the water body and potential trouble spots beyond reliance on the electronics.
Enjoy the trips - we really enjoyed Dale Hollow a lot as well as LOTO, Old Hickory, Percy Priest and the Florida Gulf - trailer boats certainly have some advantages!

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For those of you who plan on using the ipad/phone as your main GPS capability, make sure you always have cell phone connectivity where you boat, otherwise, grab an external ios GPS unit like this or this. The iphones and ipads require cell phone connectivity for precise location/tracking.

If you know you'll have cell connectivity, just make sure you have a good case and a way to keep your battery charged and as mentioned above, Navionics is fantastic! For a more permanent set up, I would still recommend a MFD unit as you'll get much better clarity in the sun as well as no overheat and full waterproof unit.

Good luck!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
For those of you who plan on using the ipad/phone as your main GPS capability, make sure you always have cell phone connectivity where you boat, otherwise, grab an external ios GPS unit like this or this. The iphones and ipads require cell phone connectivity for precise location/tracking.

If you know you'll have cell connectivity, just make sure you have a good case and a way to keep your battery charged and as mentioned above, Navionics is fantastic! For a more permanent set up, I would still recommend a MFD unit as you'll get much better clarity in the sun as well as no overheat and full waterproof unit.

Good luck!
Sorry, this is not true. Your cell phone will always have GPS regardless of service. As long as you have battery you'll have GPS. I have not tested this but has been discussed with people asking about Bimini trips. There's lots of info on Google pertaining to GPS with no service.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried very hard to use iphone and ipad as chartplotters over the years and hated it EVERY time I tried. Always something, too hot, too cold, too much sun, not charging, can't see shit with polarized glasses, or without glasses, lol, whatever... always something.
Maybe ipads work well in a cabin enclosure, I bet an ipad is fine. In our open bow, in sun or rain - I would strongly recommend a chartplotter even a 5-7" will do better than an iphone in my book. They are waterproof and hard wired. No worries, always on, always visible. My 0.02

Some plotters like Raymarine can come preloaded with Navionics. If you like Navs, which is currently probably the best navigation software package for casual boating, that could be a factor.
About 4-5 years ago I spent like $200 for a Dragonfly 5 - chartplotter only, with Nav+ included, it’s been a great purchase. Literally perfect for simple navigation just about anywhere, and to this day I think only one update, and we have gone places from Lake Powell to Bimini an many in between.

--

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve been using cell phone apps for charting, switching to the Navionics app last year as it became more affordable, ~$20/ year, which really pays to keep the maps current. I very much coveted a 10” Garmin chartplotter, but I don’t fish and didn’t want to drop a grand for what I can do with the phone. When I shopped chartplotters at Cabelas they have tablets on display too and promote the Navionics app. The salesperson said I shouldn’t buy a chart plotter if I don’t fish.

BUT, you said you don’t have a depth finder too. I don’t like that. I’d totally get a chart plotter in your situation. (For $20 still try the Navionics app until you are ready to pull the trigger. )

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry, this is not true. You cell phone will always have GPS regardless of service. As long as you have battery you'll have GPS. I have not tested this but has been discussed with people asking about Bimini trips. There's lots of info on Google pertaining to GPS with no service.
You're correct, the cell phone will always have GPS signal nowadays, it used to be different and for some reason didn't think it had changed when the offshore captain I got my training with mentioned that as a fact just a few weeks back. Ipads that are Wifi-only do not however have a dedicated gps, and many gps apps require cell signal for their functionalities. You would have to use an appropriate app and make sure to download the offline maps in your software however as without a data connection your phone won't be able to download them. Apologies for the wrong information and thanks for the correction!

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Any iPad that is 4G/LTE capable (doesn't have to have a sim card installed) has a built-in independent GPS receiver chip.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not think that there is a better solution for you than a dedicated chart plotter with a transducer to give you depth. You really need both (a chart plotter and a depth gauge of some type); you will be much safer and confident on any waters that you may boat on. Although many are happy with cellphones or tablets with apps, the problems mentioned by others are common experiences. I tried apps with some rental boats, and I experienced hard to view screens and multiple lock-ups / freezes. My Garmin is easy to see in any light, and it has never frozen - not even for a moment.

Also in terms of communications, rather than buy a fixed marine VHF radio with all of the associated expense/effort (antenna and installation), you might want to consider what I use: handheld VHF (~$100) and a Garmin InReach satellite communicator (~$400). The handheld VHF gives you up to 3-8 miles range and the InReach has global coverage (fixed VHF might give you 25 miles - probably only 15-20). You can text any cellphone with the InReach or text GEOS (rescue center, now owned by Garmin). The InReach also has a simple to use SOS button, and if you do not reply to their text as to the emergency they send first responders presuming the worst. You do have to have a service contract with Garmin, but the basic plan is $12 per month. Fully independent wearable communication devices also provide added safety against: significant boat electrical system failure, sinking, fire and etc. Also, the InReach is a redundant handheld GPS, and you can take it hiking and etc.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I also recommend a chartplotter if possible. I was using the Navionics app and while it worked well on my phone, the battery drain was bad due to max screen brightness and running GPS full time and the CPU at full speed - I ended up only using it when in unknown areas for short periods of time. Also the screen is polarized so I could only use it oriented vertical. I wanted to be able to use one full time, so that was part of my reason to go with a chartplotter. And the chartplotter will be easier to read outdoors too.

As for a VHF radio, on a small vessel like our boats, best range you can expect is about 6 miles to other similar vessels due to curvature of the Earth, maybe 10 to a big vessel. A Coast Guard station can hear you up to about 20 miles due to their high antenna tower. But if you're further away or there is no CG station nearby, and no other vessels, the VHF is useless. So for safety reasons you would need a satellite radio if out on a solo Bimini trip or if far from shore.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Navionics on a tablet is an option, but I've heard (not personal experience) that many tablets overheat in the sun while running GPS in the heat.

So if the tablet approach is to risky, I'd just add a fixed GPS. I've always had Garmins, but there are lots to chose from. I would never buy another that didn't have a touch screen.
I would second the navionics/tablet approach. The good thing about navionics is that you only need one subscription for all your devices. So I use a tablet backed up with my phone.

That being said, I use Android and, as I understand it, apple products only have gps if you have them connected to a cellular network. YMMV.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
If forgot to mention that if not having GPS is an issue, you could always use this. Ive used it for flying at it works excellently (on android 😜)!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u did you ever make a decision?

This is the link to what I have. https://jetboaters.net/threads/good-navigation-unit-reccomendation.30540/post-495966

My depth gauge and speedometer were both not working and I just figured by the time I bought the stuff to fix each of them I was going to have almost enough $$ wrapped up to just buy the Garmin. Now I have the mapping, depth, water temp, speed, sonar and whatever else the unit is capable of. I've had no issues with not being able to see the screen because of the sun and also like being able to just unclip it and take the head unit with me when we leave the boat in the slip. No wires or anything to undo.