• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 cone L13

Lee Yamaha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks great. I will try this type of configuration. I tried a wake shaper today and it didn't work.
Regrading my L13 here are my speeds vs RPMs, do these look ok? 10MPH @ 5600, 20MPH @ 5960, 25MPH @6200, top speed today 53.5MPH @ 7700. we had about 700lbs of people + less than 200lbs of gear and 1/4 tank of gas. Hole shot didn't seem much better but hard to tell. The wind was blowing at about 10mph in my face. My top speed was 42-43 prior to the installation. However, conditions vary.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
L13 cone and JBP Thrust vector Wake do not seem to be compatible. My nozzle deflector snapped off. I had been using the Thrust vector wake all season without any problems. I installed the L13 and the second time I took the boat out the nozzle deflector broke. I think the pressure against the thrust vector wake was too great with the L13 installed. I am confident I installed the Wake correctly. There were no thread marks to indicate I did not put on the sleeve that covers the screw. Just FYI if you are considering using both.
The Wake worked ok for me but not as great as I had hoped. I am going to try creating a wave without it and see what happens. I also purchase a wake shaper and will see if that does anything. Unfortunalty, I don't have the steering vectors on because I replaced my older ones with the wake and sent mine back to JBP for a $50.00 rebate when buying the Wake. I still have the Lateral Thrust Vector on. I really like that product.
By chance do you have a picture of what broke? Are you talking about a pivot bolt broke?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That looks great. I will try this type of configuration. I tried a wake shaper today and it didn't work.
Regrading my L13 here are my speeds vs RPMs, do these look ok? 10MPH @ 5600, 20MPH @ 5960, 25MPH @6200, top speed today 53.5MPH @ 7700. we had about 700lbs of people + less than 200lbs of gear and 1/4 tank of gas. Hole shot didn't seem much better but hard to tell. The wind was blowing at about 10mph in my face. My top speed was 42-43 prior to the installation. However, conditions vary.
Those are good results with that much weight in the boat. However the L13 really doesn’t add that much speed. Did you do any other mods besides the L13?

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only other mods at the moment are a Ridesteady gps speed controller and a JBP lateral thrust vector. I used to have JBP thrust vectors and thirst vector wake I didn’t replace those yet. I need to get a new set of thrust vectors because the boat slow speed steering stinks without it. I don’t think I am not going to put back on the thrust vector wake. For me it doesn’t work that well. Anyone want to buy it?😀😀

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, the Ridesteady is awesome.!! Really helps not only keeping the boat at a constant speed but works great for less experienced drivers.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It was the actual deflector that broke not the bolts.
Thanks for sharing and what a bummer! Interesting it’s the top pivot area not the bottom pivot point that broke which is where additional loads would seem to be more so from TVW’s. I also have both the L13’s and TVW’s installed however we’ve not experienced any issues so far.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, I just tested the new combination - two brand new OEM 6CW impellers replacing my almost brand new OEM 6APs.

The 6CW plus L13 seem like a killer combination. The hole shot is amazing, the pumps pull like crazy and the boat jumps out of the water. The top is still solid 45mph, top RPM about 7,500.

The L13 I'm using is still same setup with 3 spacers on the PORT side, no spacers STRBD. The cones are no longer black, got all blasted off.

These are hands down the best results I've had in a while, I'm so happy.

Those impelelrs are a tad louder and a tad different tone, probably because they must be sticking out more into the intake tunnel - they are a 1/2" taller.

6AP left, 6CW right:

--

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, that really sucks. Thanks for posting. I was just starting to think about TVW for next year if all the initial problems settled out. So I taken off it my list. I'm guessing people without L13 cones will see a higher failure rate also.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Wow, that really sucks. Thanks for posting. I was just starting to think about TVW for next year if all the initial problems settled out. So I taken off it my list. I'm guessing people without L13 cones will see a higher failure rate also.
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the TVW on that failure! Any number of things could have caused that like a bad casting of the part momentary pinch of the collar not seated while tightening the pivot bolt etc. if it were the bottom pivot point then I would be more suspicious of the TVW’s with the way they work and where additional loads are placed on parts.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the TVW on that failure! Any number of things could have caused that like a bad casting of the part momentary pinch of the collar not seated while tightening the pivot bolt etc. if it were the bottom pivot point then I would be more suspicious of the TVW’s with the way they work and where additional loads are placed on parts.
It’s clear that the AR195’s with the SVHO and the L13 & TVW are not compatible as this is the second confirmed failure with that set up. The additional thrust with the SVHO and L13 is just too much for the TVW. The sad thing is the JBP is aware of the know issues with this particular setup and has not warned any of their customers of the known issue.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, I just tested the new combination - two brand new OEM 6CW impellers replacing my almost brand new OEM 6APs.

The 6CW plus L13 seem like a killer combination. The hole shot is amazing, the pumps pull like crazy and the boat jumps out of the water. The top is still solid 45mph, top RPM about 7,500.

The L13 I'm using is still same setup with 3 spacers on the PORT side, no spacers STRBD. The cones are no longer black, got all blasted off.

These are hands down the best results I've had in a while, I'm so happy.

Those impelelrs are a tad louder and a tad different tone, probably because they must be sticking out more into the intake tunnel - they are a 1/2" taller.

6AP left, 6CW right:
View attachment 104793

--
@swatski will the 6CW work on the 195’s? You have greatly peaked my interest!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would suggest that this piece broke after the bottom bolt fell out. Common problem when not enough Loctite used when reinstalling that bottom bolt after installing various components.

Bolt falls out -> hit reverse hard -> bucket comes down and water thrust pivots the whole unit up where that hole breaks. Many examples on here of that occurring (including my own). :)

I would not blame the TVW or L13 on that particular break.

‘Course, if you didn’t lose the bottom bolt, then that’s different altogether. :)

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No way to know if the bottom bolt fell out first. However, I do believe I did the installation correctly using plenty of blue Loctite. Note that there are no thread marks on the upper or lower part of the deflector which means it did not vibrate lose. I used the TWV for the entire season with no ill affects. Once I put on the L13 the deflector broke second time out. Maybe a coincidence but I am not likely to try again. The deflector is expensive. Also another member commented that his bolts bent under the pressure. Too bad. The TVW was expensive too and I had high hopes for it.

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another possible consideration??? I have a JBP lateral thruster (that I really like) installed as well. That means the bottom bolt is longer than the factory bolt. I wonder this has any affect?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No way to know if the bottom bolt fell out first. However, I do believe I did the installation correctly using plenty of blue Loctite. Note that there are no thread marks on the upper or lower part of the deflector which means it did not vibrate lose. I used the TWV for the entire season with no ill affects. Once I put on the L13 the deflector broke second time out. Maybe a coincidence but I am not likely to try again. The deflector is expensive. Also another member commented that his bolts bent under the pressure. Too bad. The TVW was expensive too and I had high hopes for it.
I guess I would say, if both bolts are still there then it was a faulty steering nozzle. But, if you got back to the trailer and the bottom bolt was gone, it must have fallen out first. I assume your top bolt was still present.

Anyway, I’m sorry you’re having trouble and hope you get back on the water quickly!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
However, I do believe I did the installation correctly using plenty of blue Loctite.
Yeah, me too. Lol. In my case I was installing the non-AK version of Cobra fins on my ‘11 SX210. The AK version no longer utilizes that same bolt. It is side mounted and goes through the hole that the tie-rod uses for side stability.

Now I check all the bolts visible on the steering system before launching... every time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski will the 6CW work on the 195’s? You have greatly peaked my interest!
No, you have the 160mm pump, the 6CW is a 155mm impeller.
There was a recent thread on 195 OEM impelelr shortages. Can't find it now...
Yamaha OEM impellers are usually the best overall, definitely the longest blades in business with may trim a couple mph on top but alleviates cavitation.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree, and @BigAbe75 makes good points, too.

--

Last edited:

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. I have a new deflector installed so at least I am on the water. The problem happened went I was out (had to be towed in which always stinks) so no way to find bolt. My season ends in 3 weeks so can’t do much testing this year. 😭😭 Will see what happens next season.