• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 cone L13

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@DavisAR195 how long does it take to get that setup and ready to surf?
15 minutes or so now that I have done it a few times and we focus on snacks for the little ones while we’re filling. May a beer or two for me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
15 minutes or so now that I have done it a few times and we focus on snacks for the little ones while we’re filling. May a beer or two for me.
That's not terrible.

Wife is wanting to get the 8yr old into something a little less impactful than boarding or skating. So we're looking into surfing.

Once the ballast is full, I'm assuming you can idle around no problem as well. Premise being to fill/setup the boat for surfing in the cove, then no wake out to "open water" and surf from there. Any thoughts?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's not terrible.

Wife is wanting to get the 8yr old into something a little less impactful than boarding or skating. So we're looking into surfing.

Once the ballast is full, I'm assuming you can idle around no problem as well. Premise being to fill/setup the boat for surfing in the cove, then no wake out to "open water" and surf from there. Any thoughts?
Yeah you shouldn’t have any problem. If I was you I would start with the transom bag then have the extra bodies in the boat sit in the bow on the surf side to get up on plan. The one other key item is ordering another quick connect fitting for bottom of the transom bag so you can just pull the fitting and let the bag drain on it’s own.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only other mods at the moment are a Ridesteady gps speed controller and a JBP lateral thrust vector. I used to have JBP thrust vectors and thirst vector wake I didn’t replace those yet. I need to get a new set of thrust vectors because the boat slow speed steering stinks without it. I don’t think I am not going to put back on the thrust vector wake. For me it doesn’t work that well. Anyone want to buy it?😀😀

So the L13 is fine with thrust vectors and lateral thrusters? Just not with thrust vector wake? I ask because I plan on all three for our new boat, but not the wake version.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the L13 is fine with thrust vectors and lateral thrusters? Just not with thrust vector wake? I ask because I plan on all three for our new boat, but not the wake version.
I have no direct experience with an JBP product........Several folks have broken/bent the TVW bolting arrangement while also using the L13 cone. That is the only conflict I'm aware of at this time with the L13 and any other accessory.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have no direct experience with an JBP product........Several folks have broken/bent the TVW bolting arrangement while also using the L13 cone. That is the only conflict I'm aware of at this time with the L13 and any other accessory.
OK cool. Cause I planned on thrust vectors and lateral thrusters almost immediately. Then the Cone next

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK cool. Cause I planned on thrust vectors and lateral thrusters almost immediately. Then the Cone next
I would HIGHLY recommend driving it for awhile before adding things to it. I'm finishing my 3rd season, and am only now considering a set of fins.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would HIGHLY recommend driving it for awhile before adding things to it. I'm finishing my 3rd season, and am only now considering a set of fins.
It'll get at least 2-3 sessions out on the water first for sure. Coming from I/O though. I know jet skis don't steer worth a damn to me at slow speed. That's my worry. Then my buddy down the street just got his 2019 SX210, and first thing he said is it steers like crap. He as well was I/O.
Will be trying it first though for sure. I've ran boats for years, but never a jet. So should be just adjustment to driver I hope

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It'll get at least 2-3 sessions out on the water first for sure. Coming from I/O though. I know jet skis don't steer worth a damn to me at slow speed. That's my worry. Then my buddy down the street just got his 2019 SX210, and first thing he said is it steers like crap. He as well was I/O.
Will be trying it first though for sure. I've ran boats for years, but never a jet. So should be just adjustment to driver I hope
If you're expecting it to work like an I/O.....it doesn't.....Go into it with a lack of expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised how maneuverable it is. It's not bad, its different. Just like driving a large truck with a trailer will be a different approach than driving a small car, a different technique is needed to get the best response.

Only reason I'm considering fins is for straight line tracking, and speed loss on turns when pulling a tube. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not confident the fins do much. Ive driven a sx230 with big fins and could not even notice a difference compared to my ar230 without fins. I did just get my lateral thrusters and will try them this weekend.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you're expecting it to work like an I/O.....it doesn't.....Go into it with a lack of expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised how maneuverable it is. It's not bad, its different. Just like driving a large truck with a trailer will be a different approach than driving a small car, a different technique is needed to get the best response.

Only reason I'm considering fins is for straight line tracking, and speed loss on turns when pulling a tube. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.
You probably right on that one for sure

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Amazing how bad miss information is like a stain and keeps coming back up...
More likely those that broke their steering deflector had their bottom bolt fall out then when they put it in reverse they broke it. I've been running the TVW's with L13's with no issues. I run WOT quite often for extended periods of time. If the L13's with TVW's were breaking things I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed both my pumps 10 fold by now based on this miss information!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amazing how bad miss information is like a stain and keeps coming back up...More likely those that broke their steering deflector had their bottom bolt fall out then when they put it in reverse they broke it.
We have several members that have ran both and had issues. I wouldn't call it miss information, but I will agree that root cause analysis hasn't been great.

I've been running the TVW's with L13's with no issues. I run WOT quite often for extended periods of time. If the L13's with TVW's were breaking things I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed both my pumps 10 fold by now based on this miss information!
Good info to have. This is the first I've read of both items working together without a problem.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amazing how bad miss information is like a stain and keeps coming back up...
More likely those that broke their steering deflector had their bottom bolt fall out then when they put it in reverse they broke it. I've been running the TVW's with L13's with no issues. I run WOT quite often for extended periods of time. If the L13's with TVW's were breaking things I'm pretty sure I would have destroyed both my pumps 10 fold by now based on this miss information!
No. At least not in every case. The extra load on the bucket bolts is for real. The way I see this, the L13 just speeds up the process...
I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see how.
The Lucky 13 cone is not compatible with the original TVW setup. The increased thrust caused the bolts to bend and even caused the reverse gate to catch. View attachment 96539View attachment 96540View attachment 96541

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No. At least not in every case. The extra load on the bucket bolts is for real. The way I see this, the L13 just speeds up the process...
I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see how.
Right or wrong, there doesn't appear to have been significant engineering and testing on a product with the sizable forces involved. I really want this product to work just for the spray on tubers (and slow speed steering of course). But I think I'm a couple of years from putting it on my boat.

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have run my boat for five years. Here are the results that I’ve had over that time.
1) First two years no upgrades. Had a great time with the boat.
2) year three, added fins. Low speed steering improved dramatically. Would use these every time.
3) year four, added lateral thrust vector. Works great backing up into the dock. Also slow speed maneuvering in other situations in reverse. Really like this and would use it every time
4) year five, added thrust vector wake. Did OK but not as great as I was expecting. I tried many different ballast configurations but could never get a fantastic wave. Definitely better than nothing at all but not great for me. It did kick down most of the spray for tubers but not completely.
5) year five, added L 13 come. Like it, seems to give a better hole shot and reduce RPMs somewhat. Have all three rings in, have not experimented with less. Reduces top and speed but that’s not a huge consideration
NOTE: Used L13 cone twice with thrust vector wake and the nozzle deflector snapped. I cannot prove either way what the cause of this break was. I am just putting out the information, so you can make your own decisions.

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And one more thing. Upgraded to Ridesteady GPS speed controller. That is an awesome upgrade and I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of needing it for a wake sport or not.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have run my boat for five years. Here are the results that I’ve had over that time.
1) First two years no upgrades. Had a great time with the boat.
2) year three, added fins. Low speed steering improved dramatically. Would use these every time.
3) year four, added lateral thrust vector. Works great backing up into the dock. Also slow speed maneuvering in other situations in reverse. Really like this and would use it every time
4) year five, added thrust vector wake. Did OK but not as great as I was expecting. I tried many different ballast configurations but could never get a fantastic wave. Definitely better than nothing at all but not great for me. It did kick down most of the spray for tubers but not completely.
5) year five, added L 13 come. Like it, seems to give a better hole shot and reduce RPMs somewhat. Have all three rings in, have not experimented with less. Reduces top and speed but that’s not a huge consideration
NOTE: Used L13 cone twice with thrust vector wake and the nozzle deflector snapped. I cannot prove either way what the cause of this break was. I am just putting out the information, so you can make your own decisions.
I only used the L13 and TVW together twice also before the bolts bent on mine.

Last edited:

Lee18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clarification. I used the TVW alone for most of the season before I added the L13.