• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maybe I shouldn't own a boat..

Your butterflies should be completely closed on a cold engine. It does open a little when it starts & idles. As the engine warms up the butterfly will open more. Not sure what mechanism opens your butterfly but if it's a bimetallic coil spring it may be rusted/broken or have water & dirt interfering with it.

Sounds like the carbs are actually flooding
When you were cleaning them did you adjust or remove any of the mixture screws

I gotta jet . I want to leave u with this.
Research and write down everything you do and all your symptoms.
Then get ready to systematically work it through. You can doit just have to be persistent. It’s worked for me for 25 years. Best of all you have this form and the internet as tools now .

I'd ran the mixture screws in and backed them off 1.5 times as said in procedure. I just changed the fuel filter, it looked pretty nasty but still nothing. Anyone know how much my oil injection pump should be pumping? Mine is literally a slow week pulse when cranking.

The engine will run I'm warm up but just will not idle. After changing the fuel filter the fuel pressure was definitely better but not a constant stream. I don't think the fuel pump is the issue since it ran before and on the water it ran amazing. I'd post a video but it won't let me

What RPM do you need it to be on to hold idle?? If it's just that, find the idle screw and keep turning it until it idles.That would at least get you going while you figure it out. Based on what you say it's definitely fuel delivery...Fuel Pump or Carbs, hard to tell. Could be just low idle speed too.

Do a Link and Sync (goggle the procedure for a Force)
The idle should be 1000 to 1200 to cool the jet engine at idle. The outboard is 950.

Attachments

95 mercury hmmm
I have a 99 mercury
Im going through the electrical ignition right now. With all mi issues , idle has only plagued me when fuel delivery was a problem. I was advised just this week that mercury fuel pumps have a recommended 2 year rebuild.
Is your fuel pump part of your engine? I think mine is. Only thing going into the tank is the fuel level sensor and the feed tube

Just a guess but is it possible there is a partial blockage in the fuel pick up? Have you tried putting a can of seafoam in the gas tank to clean the carbs?

My butterfly's don't even move until wot... That doesn't seem right... Lol
That's why it won't idle. Butterfly needs to be closed to start a cold engine but opens slightly to idle. As it warms it slowly opens more. Opens wide when you add enough throttle. Whatever mechanism controls the auto choke is most likely your problem. I'm not familiar with your exact setup but earlier I mentioned a bimetallic spring that could be a possibility. You can prove it by using a screwdriver to hold the butterfly slightly open on both carbs after it starts. You may need another set of hands.

Last edited:
If my auto enricher is clogged, could that stop the idle?

If my auto enricher is clogged, could that stop the idle?
Not sure what "auto enriched is. Unless it's another term for the automatic choke. There is a mechanism that changes your butterfly valve from fully closed, for a cold engine to partially open for an operating engine. Is that done electronically or mechanically on your engine? My suggestion for using a screwdriver to hold the butterfly partially open after starting was to override whatever device is suppose to perform this function. That would at least prove where your problem lies.

15348027821957818003735686993321.jpg this is the auto enricher. Inside is a needle plunger. When I took it apart it made a pop sound when I put the carb cleaner to it as if something was clogged. I'm re-cleaning my carbs again with actual carb cleaner and taking my time. Fingers crossed.

Looks like your auto enricher acts like an automatic choke but in reverse. Rather than allowing more air in it allows more fuel in. I think you have an electronic valve on top. It also looks like the 2 black lines on the bottom are fuel lines. If I'm correct something signals the valve to allow more fuel to the carburator, thereby enriching the fuel air mixture. What you need to find out is...Is that valve getting a voltage signal and if so is the valve actually opening to allow more fuel flow. A voltmeter would answer the first question.

Wouldn't the engine need to be running for me to get a reading?

Wouldn't the engine need to be running for me to get a reading?
Yes. I just don't know if you have access to the wires going into the valve or if it's a sealed unit. I don't suppose you have a repair manual? Possibly there is a simplified circuit diagram etched on the black plastic case of that valve like they do with relays?

Still thinking here...Follow the wires from the enrichment valve. I'm guessing they will go to a sensor on the exhaust manifold. As the manifold heats the sensor it generates a voltage which operates the enrichment valve. If I'm correct you could simulate a running engine by heating the exhaust manifold, near the wired sensor, with a heat gun, turn on your ignition (don't start the engine). That should allow you to test the voltage at the enrichment valve without running the engine.

But do you think that would be my idle problem? Seems more like helper than anything. :/

But do you think that would be my idle problem? Seems more like helper than anything. :/
Not positive on that. I'm going on what I'm learning from your posts. It sounds like the butterfly valves are staying closed unless you apply throttle which probably utilizes mechanical linkages to operate the butterfly valves but when you go to idle the butterfly valves should stay open not closed. Do I have the scenario correct?

Back