• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Miami to Bimini to Great Harbour SX192

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great videos man, looking forward to more details about it.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What plays when you run the WAV on her shoulder?

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What plays when you run the WAV on her shoulder?
It’s her father’s last voicemail before passing away. He passed when we were in Bimini 2016.

dragonfire6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome vids & definitely waiting for the full write-up!

When is the next trip & are you planning to do the same run or aa differen destination?

Great idea with the tattoo, may he rest in peace.

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Im going with you next time... wife and i really looking forward to do this on our fsh 210, im concerned about you GAS... did you take more than one tank to get to bimini?

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im going with you next time... wife and i really looking forward to do this on our fsh 210, im concerned about you GAS... did you take more than one tank to get to bimini?
Bimini is usually 25 gal each way for us but we always take 20 gal extra.

JKallay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for the delay. It has been a crazy couple of months. Here is my write-up about Great Harbour Cay. I'm sure I am forgetting a ton of info. I will try to make some videos with more info in the future.

Traveling from Bimini to Great Harbour Cay (GHC) is approx 90 miles. We burned 58 gal of fuel on the way out but only 48 on the way back. We maintained a cruising rpm of 5500-6k both ways. The wind/water was obviously more favorable on the way back. It took 6 hours on the way out, 4.5 - 5 hrs on the way back. Water was 3-5 on the way out, 2-4 on the way back in the middle of the bank.

Price for fuel was comparable to Bimini. The island’s fuel dock has solid operating hours and it services both on the water fuel and fuel for the island’s vehicles. The attendant told me fuel shortage is not problem.

We stayed at 2 different locations while on the island.

The first 4 days we stayed at a GHC Marina townhouse. You can see details of it on our 3rd YouTube video. The townhouses all have their own dock below the living space. We had an end unit which could had tied up multiple boats tandem if needed. The townhouse was 2 story with 2 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

The second location was on the beach, approx 1 mile away by road, on the other side of the island. Our original plan was to use one of the mooring balls combined with anchoring but we decided to keep our boat in the marina. We used the dock at the empty townhouse next door to the one we stayed in. The beach villa was awesome. 2 beds in one room, 1 bed in the loft, 2 full baths. It was right on the clean, uncrowded, non no-see-um beach. It was mating season for sharks in nearby Shark Creek but they didn’t bother us much. We saw a few small sharks close to shore. A local told us likely bull sharks. They didn’t bother us while we were in the water.

We found both places to stay on Air BNB. They were $260/night plus tax and cleaning fees. Both places were owned by the same person named Daron. We later found out the properties were once owned by his parents. We didn’t meet Daron but became good friends with the property caretakers, Wally and Christine Saunders. Not only did they take care of all our needs but they also gave us a tour of the island and provided us with valuable info to pass along to you guys.

The huge downside to booking through Air BNB is the loss of deposits or the entire night’s rent if we needed to cancel. Of course weather plays a big part in our travels by boat. This is where valuable info comes in. We can contact Wally and/or Christine directly, which most renters do, to book rentals. They handle 3 townhouses and at least 1 beach villa. When dealing directly with them, everything is completed by cash upon arrival due to the lack of a bank on the island. This means if we need to cancel due to weather or really any reason, we have nothing to loose as cash had never changed hands. They told us cancelations happen from time to time, mostly due to weather.

Wally Saunders – 242-428-0596
Christine Saunders – 242-451-0166 or 242-367-8101
cwsaunders@live.com

Wally was happy to help us with everything while we were there. He provided us with bikes and let us use them at both the marina townhouse and beach villa. He help us transfer all our stuff from the townhouse to the villa too. He even gave us a guided tour of the island in his SUV and stopped by his own house to say hi to Christine. They were the friendliest people we had ever met.

The bikes were a great way to tour the food and drink of the island. (except for the flat tire)

On GHC, we boated to the sugar caves, the airplane wreck, traveled past Carnival Cruise Line and Norweighen Cruise Line’s Islands, we found a starfish field (like a sand dollar field but with large starfish), boated to Hoffman’s and Little Harbour Cay. Hoffman’s Cay is a deserted island with multiple small beaches. It also has a huge blue hole that we hiked to. It was awesome. You can see it in our YouTube videos. Little Harbour is where Flo’s Conch Shack is. You have to call the day before to put in your lunch or dinner order. Just google Flo’s Conch Shack and the menu and phone number is listed. I wished we had spent more time at Flo’s, relaxing with drink and conch. The most beautiful water we saw was between Market Fish Cay and Soldier Cay. Again, I wish we had spent more time here. This is where the starfish field is.

Last but not least are the people of the islands. It felt like everyone was happy to see us and happy we were there. Every car that passed while we were riding bikes honked and waved. Even the locals all wave at each other and stop to chit chat as they pass one another. Everyone wanted to know where we were from and if we were enjoying ourselves. It felt like this is the magical Bahamian people that we hear of. Don’t get me wrong, Bimini is a great time and has it’s own great qualities. But Bimini seems like it’s becoming Nassau Jr. while GHC and nearby islands felt like the “real” Bahamas.

upload_2018-8-21_18-39-38.png

upload_2018-8-21_18-49-52.png