• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini July 2nd-8th 2023

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife and I have just committed to going to Bimini - departing Sunday Morning July 2 from Ft. Lauderdale, and returning on Saturday Morning July 8. Posting here to hopefully get a group together to make the crossing.

We will be launching from the Harbour Towne Marina and staying at the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale by Hilton on Saturday night ready for departure Sunday Morning (7/2) from there through Port Everglades. We will be staying at Resorts World in Bimini and depending on the crew, either depart from there or Bimini Cove returning straight to Harbour Towne Marina on Saturday Morning (7/8).

A bit about us and our Bimini experience: We’ve got a 2008 SX230 which we use exclusively in Tampa Bay and the Gulf. We’ve made one crossing in 2021 in weather that we likely would not cross in again this time around. The trip back was smoother than most days out in the bay. Despite the rough crossing out, we still ended with roughly half a tank of gas. We’ve baked in an extra day before and after to have some flexibility if the weather demands it. While not concerned about running out of gas, the peace of mind was there should any emergency arise between the boats. Unfortunately our last trip was a bit disorganized between the boats so I’m hoping that this trip around will be a little smoother.

This link covers almost, if not all of what you need to know. If you’ve never made the trip, start here. Heck, I’m going to be revisiting it a couple times as well. Last time we entered COVID was in full swing so there were a good deal more hoops to jump through. I’ll be digging through the latest requirements and post my findings here as I come across them.

If anybody would like to make the crossing on these dates please let me know - always better to cross in numbers.

Roster:
@svana - 2008 SX230 HO - 2 adults
@Jahall812 - 2018 242 Limited S - 4 adults
@jaroofoo - 2013 AR210 - 2 adults
@Jason Crump - 2015 AR240 - 2 adults
@AlanSnyder91 - 2020 212S

Edit 1/1 - Here's a link showing the fuel consumption of various models as it pertains to the Bimini crossing - great info for those who haven't crossed before and were wondering about the fuel requirements. We took an extra 10 gallons strapped to the swim deck which we didn't use at all through the trip. We'll probably bring it again just in case. While it wasn't in the way to open the hatch, it definitely was in the way when I had to try and clear out the sargassum on the way back (too rough to try and open it up on the way there).

Edit 1/1 - Looks like all COVID requirements have been lifted (for vaccinated travelers)
Important Updates 9/22/22
REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAVELERS, BOATERS AND BAHAMAS MARINAS
Travel to and from The Bahamas

Effective Tuesday, September 20, 2022, all Covid related travel restrictions have been lifted.
Negative Covid tests are no longer required for Unvaccinated Travelers.
Bahamas Travel Health Visas will no longer be required to enter The Bahamas.
Vaccinated Travelers will no longer need Covid 19 tests to enter The Bahamas. (Proof of vaccination will be required upon entry.)
All mask mandates for travelers are eliminated as of October 1, 2022. (Masks will still be required when visiting any healthcare facility.)

Full updated official protocols can be found: https://travel.gov.bs/file/travelProtocols

Last edited:

Jahall812

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We are checking dates this might work for us. It would be our first time crossing.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I would love to go, and we aren’t far from one another, just need to convince the wife. I told her she can fly and I will boat….

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My wife and I have just committed to going to Bimini - departing Sunday Morning July 2 from Ft. Lauderdale, and returning on Saturday Morning July 8. Posting here to hopefully get a group together to make the crossing.

We will be launching from the Harbour Towne Marina and staying at the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale by Hilton on Saturday night ready for departure Sunday Morning (7/2) from there through Port Everglades. We will be staying at Resorts World in Bimini and depending on the crew, either depart from there or Bimini Cove returning straight to Harbour Towne Marina on Saturday Morning (7/8).

A bit about us and our Bimini experience: We’ve got a 2008 SX230 which we use exclusively in Tampa Bay and the Gulf. We’ve made one crossing in 2021 in weather that we likely would not cross in again this time around. The trip back was smoother than most days out in the bay. Despite the rough crossing out, we still ended with roughly half a tank of gas. We’ve baked in an extra day before and after to have some flexibility if the weather demands it. While not concerned about running out of gas, the peace of mind was there should any emergency arise between the boats. Unfortunately our last trip was a bit disorganized between the boats so I’m hoping that this trip around will be a little smoother.

This link covers almost, if not all of what you need to know. If you’ve never made the trip, start here. Heck, I’m going to be revisiting it a couple times as well. Last time we entered COVID was in full swing so there were a good deal more hoops to jump through. I’ll be digging through the latest requirements and post my findings here as I come across them.

If anybody would like to make the crossing on these dates please let me know - always better to cross in numbers.

Roster:
@svana - 2008 SX230 - 2 adults
The “link” doesn‘t work for me.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are checking dates this might work for us. It would be our first time crossing.
Sounds good. Remind me - what's the range looking like on the '18 24 Limiteds? Just thinking about whether you'll have to refuel mid-trip.

I would love to go, and we aren’t far from one another, just need to convince the wife. I told her she can fly and I will boat….
Yep, right down the road. The trip down's pretty easy until you get to FLL and then traffic gets squirrelly. 75/Aligator Alley was just a straight coast last time with one refueling stop around Naples. Have you made the Bimini trip before?

The “link” doesn‘t work for me.
It didn't work for me. I assumed it linked to the Preparing for Bimini page on here.considering
Sorry about that, fixed it. Yes it was the Preparing for Bimini page.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That link / thread is very comprehensive! Lots to consider and get ready for a trip like that but I suppose once you’ve prepped for it subsequent trips would be easy peasey.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That link / thread is very comprehensive! Lots to consider and get ready for a trip like that but I suppose once you’ve prepped for it subsequent trips would be easy peasey.
The paperwork is what always worries me about getting something wrong, but the rest definitely carries from one trip to another - especially boat prep. Even then now digging into the paperwork again there's definitely a little more familiarity.

Jahall812

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds good. Remind me - what's the range looking like on the '18 24 Limiteds? Just thinking about whether you'll have to refuel mid-trip.

If I remember correctly we are around 1.4-1.6mpg on our lake. We boat at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. I have a 14 gallon tank I am planning to take for extra fuel.

Yep, right down the road. The trip down's pretty easy until you get to FLL and then traffic gets squirrelly. 75/Aligator Alley was just a straight coast last time with one refueling stop around Naples. Have you made the Bimini trip before?

Sorry about that, fixed it. Yes it was the Preparing for Bimini page.

Jahall812

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@svana currently we are planning on making this crossing! As of now, it will be the gf and me. I went ahead and booked a place w/dock just outside of Resorts World. This will be our 1st time crossing.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@svana currently we are planning on making this crossing! As of now, it will be the gf and me. I went ahead and booked a place w/dock just outside of Resorts World. This will be our 1st time crossing.
Awesome, I’ll add you to the roster. We’re planning on staying at either one of the condos at RW or the hotel depending if anybody else is coming with us. Did you book a dock at fisherman’s village or one of the bigger houses with a dock along the sea wall?

Jahall812

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I booked a small cottage on the sea wall. It has a dock that can hold 3 boats. I believe I saw the place beside ours on airbnb also.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I booked a small cottage on the sea wall. It has a dock that can hold 3 boats. I believe I saw the place beside ours on airbnb also.
Nice, sounds like an awesome spot.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Babin Farms - you coming this year now that you live closer? lol

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'll be following this thread. Maybe I can swing coming this year. Just not sure if we'll still have our current boat or the new boat we ordered. If our current boat, extra fuel will definitely be a concern.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be following this thread. Maybe I can swing coming this year. Just not sure if we'll still have our current boat or the new boat we ordered. If our current boat, extra fuel will definitely be a concern.
I hear you. Plenty of folks do a mid-trip refuel, weather of course becomes the bigger factor at that point though.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Babin Farms - you coming this year now that you live closer? lol
Just a bit closer.
We had planned on Bimini again this summer but with moving and starting a new job we are not going to be able to make it.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a bit closer.
We had planned on Bimini again this summer but with moving and starting a new job we are not going to be able to make it.
Bummer, but I hear you. Maybe next year.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I want in! I will check dates with the wife. It will just be the two of us.
Sounds good! Just keep us posted and we'll add you to the list.