• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mixing in video from the DSLR

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
My wife and I purchased a new Nikon D5300 for Christmas because we were tired or all of our family pictures looking dull from our iPhones. Not even thinking about using it for video when we bought it. After that light bulb went off I purchased a 35mm lenses for video and wow... it definitely adds to the quality of the video.
I shot all of this over Christmas with the GoPro and the Nikon. I definitely need to invest in a stabilizer mount for the Nikon. You can tell in a couple shots it is very shaky.
Here is my first edit using the Nikon. It's not boating related (cause its cold as b@lls out) but it does a good job at representing a new quality of summer family films this upcoming season!
A little late, but Merry Christmas from our family to yours.

Mike Rock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Great Job... However, whats more important is that family... Looks like they/you all had a great time setting up and going thru the Christmas holidays... I remember those days when the kids where small... I can't think of a better time.
Hope they enjoy the 242 also when it warms up a bit..

Belated Merry Christmas

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very nice! How was it to mix the GoPro footage with the DSLR footage? What did you edit the video with?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe , I almost forgot what a bad a$$ you are when it comes to video editing, great job on the video. I loved your use of special effects like panning, zooming, transitions, etc. teach me ob1.

Regarding mixing dslr video, I've never done it. I've mixed in stills from my Nikon 5100 and other cameras and videos from gopros and smart phones but that is about it. After seeing your Xmas video I will definitely try to take more video with my dslr. I assume by your stabilizer comment that the vr (vibration reduction) of the Nikon lenses only works or primarily works with pictures not video.

If you don't already have one, I recommend getting the handheld remote for the Nikon as well, it's around $20 and allows you to be in the shot without having to use the timer, not sure if you can activate the video feature with it though.

Again great job on the video, thanks for sharing it and the tip regarding mixing dslr video.

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Very nice! How was it to mix the GoPro footage with the DSLR footage? What did you edit the video with?
I have grown pretty proficient with iMovie so I tend to stick with that. I am always "googling" how to incorporate new stuff within iMovie. As for incorporating the video its the same process as with the GoPro. When you use iMovie it takes care of all the conversion for you. I have found the whole process much simpler than the GoPro editing software (IMO).

Thanks for the complement @Mike Rock! I'm sure these videos will be priceless come the kiddo's Highschool graduation/Wedding!

@Ronnie it's become a sort of hobby for me. In college I messed around with creating audio mashups and mixing audio for a buddies band (using mostly Sony ACID CD Pro). This video stuff has somewhat brought me back to what I enjoyed.