• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover cleaning

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the lengthy thread. So I'll be that guy and ask. What are y'all doing to clean the mooring cover? I have the grey one. It is moldy and after I take it off it has always dirtied up my seats.

I’m in the middle of cleaning mine (black) from the hurricane in SWFL. Had water sitting in bow so it was water stained.
I started with boat wash and a brush. A little scrubbing and it came reasonably clean. After it dried I sprayed it with 303 Fabric Guard to re-water seal it.
While cleaning the top side I noticed some mold stain on the bottom. I’m going to try the boat wash and brush again and if that doesn’t get it clean I have a bottle of Starbrite Mold n Mildew Remover I can try.

This is what I used for mine. Worked really well.
61F35FF6-5574-4263-ACE5-8DBDBA767947.jpeg1A6B7806-9634-48DF-B73E-846BE3CA0EEE.jpeg
88C02E2D-D2C8-47D5-8FA6-4210C67BE867.jpeg

Start gentle and progress depending on results.

Do you have somewhere to get the cover hung up so air can reach all sides to dry?

Walmart has (had?) a long handled soft brush, I think it was labeled as a wheel brush, back in the automotive section. I used that, some hot water, and Dawn.

Whatever that didn't work on, then I used a degreaser on - multiple purple versions out there, but I found a red one, again at Walmart. It can be diluted depending on need, so I used a spray bottle with measurements for ratios and started with the lowest ratio.

I think I had to bump up the ratio to the second lowest, and then hung the cover up for a day to dry. At that time, the cover was still watertight, but the following year I felt like the 303 Fabric Guard was needed.

I did all this with the cover on the ground, but I'm looking to do it while it's on the boat next time, and plan on doing a full cleaning of the boat afterwards.

Start gentle and progress depending on results.

Do you have somewhere to get the cover hung up so air can reach all sides to dry?

Walmart has (had?) a long handled soft brush, I think it was labeled as a wheel brush, back in the automotive section. I used that, some hot water, and Dawn.

Whatever that didn't work on, then I used a degreaser on - multiple purple versions out there, but I found a red one, again at Walmart. It can be diluted depending on need, so I used a spray bottle with measurements for ratios and started with the lowest ratio.

I think I had to bump up the ratio to the second lowest, and then hung the cover up for a day to dry. At that time, the cover was still watertight, but the following year I felt like the 303 Fabric Guard was needed.

I did all this with the cover on the ground, but I'm looking to do it while it's on the boat next time, and plan on doing a full cleaning of the boat afterwards.
I did mine on the boat last time and it worked out great! Also treated it while on the boat last time too. I taped the "air" holes just so water wouldn't spray down inside. It worked out better than I thought. Then when treating it I have tons of plastic I use when working on cars. Tossed that on under the cover and covered the gelcoat. Then sprayed the cover with 303 fabric guard. Probably will do that again after the pollening that's going on now.

I did mine on the boat last time and it worked out great! Also treated it while on the boat last time too. I taped the "air" holes just so water wouldn't spray down inside. It worked out better than I thought. Then when treating it I have tons of plastic I use when working on cars. Tossed that on under the cover and covered the gelcoat. Then sprayed the cover with 303 fabric guard. Probably will do that again after the pollening that's going on now.

Working with the cover on the boat with plastic underneath is a great idea. I was concerned about the gelcoat and cushions with the 303. Believe directions warn about that. Thanks!

Back