• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting topic of flats vs clips for MTB.

Majority of the time I ride clips (egg beaters), I feel "more" attached to the bike when hitting jumps or riding moderately technical terrain.

When I ride downhill terrain parks (black runs) I switch to flats as I like the safety of being able to bail from the bike on short notice.

My recommendation, if you run flats invest in a set of shin pads....a pedal to the shin hurts something awful.
Oh man, I have the scars to prove my legacy. Haha. Yeah, its one of "those" debates. Ford/chevy, cobra/jbp, fins/no fins....

I gave the clipped in pedals a good chance. Did it for about 6 months. Tapped out and sold that stuff haha

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's the setup I went
I think I'm going to get a set of Shimano SD/Platform combination pedals. Want to be able to ride around the neighborhood and the bike path in tennis shoes, but also be able to clip in when on the trail. Again, the death machine ownership has conditioned me to be clipped in at all times. Might have to shed some of that as I transition to dirt. Already have a set of "Mt Bike" shoes I picked up a few years ago when my old Look style road shoes got a hole in them after a decade of use. Look a lot like these shoes. When I rode my buddies mountain bike years ago, he had toe clips on those pedals, and the ability to "lift" on the pedals felt pretty important for maintaining bike control. I'll certainly try both and see which I like better.
Here's the setup I went with, had the same thoughts you had on this. Was used to being attached and liked that feel, but also ride around the neighborhood and wanted a non-clipped flat option. Been happy so far, so just another option to consider...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's the setup I went

Here's the setup I went with, had the same thoughts you had on this. Was used to being attached and liked that feel, but also ride around the neighborhood and wanted a non-clipped flat option. Been happy so far, so just another option to consider...
That's really really close to the setup I was planning on, just different brands. Those pedals are a little more aggressive on the platform side though.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure how wide these bars are, but I can tell you they don't fit through a 30in door opening. So they're at least 762mm or more. They might be 780's. Good grief they're wide.

I've been through a bike once before, but had a master mechanic (worked in a bike shop for a decade before/during college) right beside me to help. Had his tool collection as well. This will be my first time going through on my own. Probably have to grab some tools as well. Figure I can rebuild an engine, surely I can rebuild a bicycle right? I'll definitely check out those Park Tool Videos before I get too far into anything.

Groupset is a Shimano Deore. At least that's what's on the derailleur and the shifter. Not sure about the cogs/chain/crank. Best I can tell it's an entry level group. I'm probably just be too picky.

I think I'm going to get a set of Shimano SD/Platform combination pedals. Want to be able to ride around the neighborhood and the bike path in tennis shoes, but also be able to clip in when on the trail. Again, the death machine ownership has conditioned me to be clipped in at all times. Might have to shed some of that as I transition to dirt. Already have a set of "Mt Bike" shoes I picked up a few years ago when my old Look style road shoes got a hole in them after a decade of use. Look a lot like these shoes. When I rode my buddies mountain bike years ago, he had toe clips on those pedals, and the ability to "lift" on the pedals felt pretty important for maintaining bike control. I'll certainly try both and see which I like better.
Devore is entry level of their decent stuff. You can get a compatible XT derailleur pretty cheap and they are just as good as XTR for shifting smoothness.

You can cut those bars down easy enough. If you decided to replace them, carbon fiber ones are awesome for additional shock absorption. Particularly on a bike with a not so high end fork. I will never go back to aluminum.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I agree if you're going to have just one pedal and you want to be clipped in, it's nice to have a platform style pedal so you can still just ride around the neighborhood with tennis shoes on. I've ridden around the neighborhood with eggbeaters and tennis shoes on before, what a pain in the butt. That was years ago, though.

These days, I have two different setups depending on what I'm doing/how I'm feeling. I was originally a roadie so I still like being clipped in sometimes.

(All my money is in one bike these days, so these items are admittedly a little more expensive than if I were outfitting multiple bikes--mtn, roadie, etc.)

I usually ride flats with the following pedals and shoes:
Deity TMAC Pedals
Five Ten Freerider Pro Shoes

When I want to go clipless, I switch over to this setup:
Crankbrothers Mallet 3 Pedals
Five Ten Kestrel Shoes

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Devore is entry level of their decent stuff. You can get a compatible XT derailleur pretty cheap and they are just as good as XTR for shifting smoothness.

You can cut those bars down easy enough. If you decided to replace them, carbon fiber ones are awesome for additional shock absorption. Particularly on a bike with a not so high end fork. I will never go back to aluminum.
Have carbon bars/stem/fork/seatpost on my aluminum road bike. It was like night and day difference when I moved over from a FULL aluminum bike. Thing feels like it's riding on air most days.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u
Having just made the switch to MTB I know the boat you are in. I road full CF road bikes including nearly all components and even the saddle (sworks). Ultegra/force at a minimum for groupsets. I raced and did triathlons as well.

I went entry level FS MTB for now (2021 stumpjumper alloy). I got the NX eagle groupset it came with in the best working order it is capable of. I still long for super quick and precise shifts. Going to upgrade to full Sram GX including DT swiss pawl to ratchet/freehub conversion. That will help but realize the ratio of the shift is much larger on a 1x12 mtb so will never be the same as a quick smooth swing riding on Dura-ace hoods. For pedals I went with funn ripper and shoes are shimano me5 (loving this combo for mtb and very walkable if needed). May upgrade to fox float fork and shock as more terrain opens up near me.

Going from a sports car to a lifted Jeep is obviously a big change. I am personally having more fun now and imagine you will as well. One decision I made was no computer. I am no longer a slave to all of the metrics and truly just having fun. My watch is my emergency map/phone if needed (better band will keep it on my wrist).

Happy single tracks.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One decision I made was no computer. I am no longer a slave to all of the metrics and truly just having fun. My watch is my emergency map/phone if needed (better band will keep it on my wrist).

Happy single tracks.
Couldn’t agree more. No computer, no strava or other gps stuff, I don’t even usually wear headphones. Tires on dirt is a great soundtrack to think, or not think to.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I use Strava only because it keeps track of my total miles for the year and because it integrates with the ProBikeGarage app which keeps track of maintenance schedules for the various bike components.

Otherwise, totally agree. Mountain biking (and trail running) aren't done for time, they're done for the fun factor!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@2kwik4u
Having just made the switch to MTB I know the boat you are in. I road full CF road bikes including nearly all components and even the saddle (sworks). Ultegra/force at a minimum for groupsets. I raced and did triathlons as well.

I went entry level FS MTB for now (2021 stumpjumper alloy). I got the NX eagle groupset it came with in the best working order it is capable of. I still long for super quick and precise shifts. Going to upgrade to full Sram GX including DT swiss pawl to ratchet/freehub conversion. That will help but realize the ratio of the shift is much larger on a 1x12 mtb so will never be the same as a quick smooth swing riding on Dura-ace hoods. For pedals I went with funn ripper and shoes are shimano me5 (loving this combo for mtb and very walkable if needed). May upgrade to fox float fork and shock as more terrain opens up near me.

Going from a sports car to a lifted Jeep is obviously a big change. I am personally having more fun now and imagine you will as well. One decision I made was no computer. I am no longer a slave to all of the metrics and truly just having fun. My watch is my emergency map/phone if needed (better band will keep it on my wrist).

Happy single tracks.
Go AXS GX! It's rad!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use Strava simply to log my rides. Not shooting from KOMs. Use my fenix watch. No computers for me. Definitely no speakers or early buds.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Go AXS GX! It's rad!
I bet it is very quick and smooth. The electronic shifting systems have come a long way in the last decade. Even though I maintain my bikes very well I would be concerned with forgetting to charge or forgetting the battery on the charger. Probably just like putting air in the tires when you have this but still that is my concern and having yet another gadget to charge. Does not mean I won’t go there just trying to weigh that out.

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bet it is very quick and smooth. The electronic shifting systems have come a long way in the last decade. Even though I maintain my bikes very well I would be concerned with forgetting to charge or forgetting the battery on the charger. Probably just like putting air in the tires when you have this but still that is my concern and having yet another gadget to charge. Does not mean I won’t go there just trying to weigh that out.
I have ultegra DI on my road bike and love it, previous bike (now my back-up bike) has Sram red - no comparing the 2. DI shifting is fast, crisp and never a "miss" shift. I added an appointment in my work calendar for the last day of the month - that's charge the battery day.

Replacement / repair costs of e shifting components for mountain bike has kept me from switching. I've replacement several rear derailleurs and shifters following a nasty spill.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have ultegra DI on my road bike and love it, previous bike (now my back-up bike) has Sram red - no comparing the 2. DI shifting is fast, crisp and never a "miss" shift. I added an appointment in my work calendar for the last day of the month - that's charge the battery day.

Replacement / repair costs of e shifting components for mountain bike has kept me from switching. I've replacement several rear derailleurs and shifters following a nasty spill.
Fair points. AXS is light years ahead of Red. I have no first hand experience but reviews say it shifts even better than DI. Excellent shifting even under load. Also AXS derailleurs come with what amounts to a sacrificial hanger. It will break off before the mech sees too much force. That being said, a big enough wipe will damage anything, haha, most of all your ego

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@2kwik4u take your new bike on actual trails before you get too freaked out about sizing, twitchiness, handling, wide bars/tires etc and start making changes. All mtb's feel heavy & slow on smooth pavement, you will learn it's true handling on the dirt. Don't try to make it ride fast and smooth in the neighborhoods or it will be crap on the trail. I think someone mentioned sports car (road bike) to jeep (mtb) analogy which is appropriate.

As far as clipless pedals or flats that's personal choice, but if you aren't clipped in I'm passing you on the ups and the downs. :cool:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I recommend riding flats for a while just to learn good techniques and then go to clips. I used Shimano saint pedals + fiveten freerider contacts for a few years then I was in Brazil and I was the only person on platforms. So I ordered shimano saint clips and shimano shoes and I have a few hundred miles on the set up. The key is to change the cleats to the SH-SM56 multi-directional cleats and set them loose. It's tight enough to stay attached to the bike, but loose enough to easily bail out in weird situations (ie off camber hills, tech sections etc). I use clips for everything including downhill. I have incredible control over the bike and can charge down the most rocky and steep trails and know that I won't lose a foot. You will know the value of this when going down a steep techy trail with only 1 foot on the bike!

This is my set up:
SH56 cleats

EDIT: I also want to add, that the pedals have enough platform to ride without clipping in. I do this on skinnys that are a big fall so I can jump off quickly.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
and said clips in action at the local dirt jump park. (blurry screenshot from a video) I feel that my coil sprung enduro is super heavy to clear some of these jumps. Its got me thinking of a dirt jumper

IMG_3917.jpg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
and said clips in action at the local dirt jump park. (blurry screenshot from a video) I feel that my coil sprung enduro is super heavy to clear some of these jumps. Its got me thinking of a dirt jumper

View attachment 165302
You’re coming off the lower one closer to the camera right? Or the one with the big lip?
I can’t understand how you where you are from either of those!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 165302
Nah. Coil Enduros can still fly

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You’re coming off the lower one closer to the camera right? Or the one with the big lip?
I can’t understand how you where you are from either of those!
The jump with the big lip and I have a good landing on the other side.

Nah. Coil Enduros can still fly
It takes a little more work compared to my air sprung bikes, but I got it tuned pretty good now. I went lighter on the rear spring and sped up the rebound on the fork. I also put ODI rogue grips and maybe will put carbon bars next year. Now i'm trying to dampen vibrations so I can ride park all day without killing my hands.