• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to Florida

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well it is true that Florida is crappy and they don't have excise tax or even state income tax so they don't have any money to fix the infrastructure people are so poor they can't even buy sufficient clothing, or shoes.

Attachments

Tommy Bierly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

mrdubean1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good morning! We will move to the Ft Lauderdale area within the next 6 months as well from NYC. Can anyone advise ramp locations where I can launch, and some nice places to go with my SX190 please? Also, the house we are buying doesn't allow boats in the driveway, so I'll need to store my boat at a Marina along with the trailer. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to go!
Thanks!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Good morning! We will move to the Ft Lauderdale area within the next 6 months as well from NYC. Can anyone advise ramp locations where I can launch, and some nice places to go with my SX190 please? Also, the house we are buying doesn't allow boats in the driveway, so I'll need to store my boat at a Marina along with the trailer. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to go!
Thanks!
If the yard is fenced in and you have enough room, you could store it on the side of the new home.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks!
Congrats on the move! I'm looking to do the same move from Long Island.

I haven't forgot this thread. It was derailed because of coronavirus, the economy and i'm enjoying the summer here in Long Island. An interesting thing happened when I went to the jet ski event in Daytona in January. Through mutual friends I met a brazilian woman that also was looking to move to South Florida. We were supposed to meet in Florida in May, but coronavirus came. She moved up her flight to april and asked me to meet then, but I didn't. I had separated my shoulder in a mountain bike accident and I didn't want to chance bringing covid to my friends and family there (one of which has cancer). She wasn't happy that I couldn't go, but she understood. We still talk and probably will meet again at another time.

I have been working from home for a while now and the company is pleased with my work. When we return to the office, I will discuss with the owner about working remotely. Maybe I could keep my job and rent an apartment in Florida. See how it goes in a few years and then buy some property. I already have the money saved for that.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good luck with your potential move @I_squared_r ! My family is looking to make the move to the panhandle (Destin area) in about 2 years or so. Fell in love with the crystal clear emerald green water, and of course, crab island!

rlyons_ii

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks!
There are multiple inland locations where you can store your boat they usually cost about $10 a foot per month the further north you look in Ft. Lauderdale area storage rates start at $15 a foot per month so you're looking at $285 a month for storage, if you are fortunate to get a townhouse or even an apartment where they have a storage area or an attached garage that is your best case scenario, other wise find someone that has space to store your boat. The further north from Ft. Lauderdale the lower the prices get.

There are lots of places where you can launch your boat from, when you get here look around in your area to find the free ones and then the ones with metered parking. I have attached a list of ramps in Broward County for you.

As far as places to go... From North of West Palm Beach to Key West there are alot of amazing places to see and visit right off the water, you will spend years to get to know them all... Plus with your boat you are not limited to just the East Coast all of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc. is available to you for long weekends... And when its safe The Bahamas.

Welcome to the Area!

Attachments

Last edited:

mrdubean1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are multiple inland locations where you can store your boat they usually cost about $10 a foot per month the further north you look in Ft. Lauderdale area storage rates start at $15 a foot per month so you're looking at $285 a month for storage, if you are fortunate to get a townhouse or even an apartment where they have a storage area or an attached garage that is your best case scenario, other wise find someone that has space to store your boat. The further north from Ft. Lauderdale the lower the prices get.

There are lots of places where you can launch your boat from, when you get here look around in your area to find the free ones and then the ones with metered parking. I have attached a list of ramps in Broward County for you.

As far as places to go... From North of West Palm Beach to Key West there are alot of amazing places to see and visit right off the water, you will spend years to get to know them all... Plus with your boat you are not limited to just the East Coast all of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc. is available to you for long weekends... And when its safe The Bahamas.

Welcome to the Area!
Thank you so much for the detailed list of ramps and prices. We cant wait to go and see some houses, but Covid is preventing us from going to FL at the moment. Hopefully the situation rectifies itself and we can go down there.
Thanks again.

mrdubean1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the move! I'm looking to do the same move from Long Island.

I haven't forgot this thread. It was derailed because of coronavirus, the economy and i'm enjoying the summer here in Long Island. An interesting thing happened when I went to the jet ski event in Daytona in January. Through mutual friends I met a brazilian woman that also was looking to move to South Florida. We were supposed to meet in Florida in May, but coronavirus came. She moved up her flight to april and asked me to meet then, but I didn't. I had separated my shoulder in a mountain bike accident and I didn't want to chance bringing covid to my friends and family there (one of which has cancer). She wasn't happy that I couldn't go, but she understood. We still talk and probably will meet again at another time.

I have been working from home for a while now and the company is pleased with my work. When we return to the office, I will discuss with the owner about working remotely. Maybe I could keep my job and rent an apartment in Florida. See how it goes in a few years and then buy some property. I already have the money saved for that.
good stuff, be safe!

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I envy you.
We too would like to move to Florida - we're in Kansas City at the moment.
We love the Pensacola area and actually purchased a waterfront lot there earlier this year.
The two problems we are facing with actually moving;
1. My employer who has no locations in FL pays me very well for my current job, no other company has been able to touch that - and Pensacola is not what I'd call an industrial hub with ample opportunities
2. My wife's license is not recognized in FL so she can't work in her profession.

Unless a miracle happens we'll probably have to wait until retirement before we can make the move - which is still 10-ish years out.