• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

MR-1 wasted spark?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed the YDS allow testing of spark only in combination with another cylinder, but it also allows dropping a single cylinder... So as a sanity check I need to ask...

Is the MR1 firing only once per 4 cycles, or does it fire more often? (Like twice)

I'm hunting what I think is an ignition problem keeping an engine from reaching full RPM, and I've tried quite a few things with no results (new plugs, coil swap, ecm swap)

I will be confirming done other things tomorrow, but I wondered if the cylinder pairs that test together in the YDS actually fire together or if each cylinder spark fires totally independent.

Thanks!

All four stroke engines fire the spark once per 4 strokes. Low RPM or performance is usually one of three things - spark, fuel/air mixture, or compression. I would check your compression levels with a pressure test. Or an injector that is not passing enough fuel into the engine.

well harleys have wasted spark and single fire ignitions and they are 4 stroke... I have one of each a 1983 XR1000 fires both plugs at the same time (one spark is wasted on the exhaust stroke of the other cylinder and only one coil) and a 1999 XL1200S that has two coils and fires two plugs in each cylinder at the correct time. I believe there are MSD systems that lengthen the spark event with multiple fires?

Yeah, there are some 4 strokes that fire at every TDC, but I don’t know what the MR-1’s are designed to do. If you give me a couple days, I should be able to figure it out. Busy tomorrow eve, would be at least Thursday…. Wonder if the service manual touches on it…?

depends on this storm i can look as well i've been over every wire and every connection in the MR-1 harness. IIRC ever coil has two wires that go to 8 different Pins on the ECU and there are 2 ignition pickup coils... Ill pull a spare flywheel and ill bet that there is only 1 magnet so Id guess its a batch fire that it it fires two plugs at the same time and one is always a wasted spark on the exhaust stroke... the other question then becomes are the injectors sequentially or batch fired... I do not know at this point

I expect the injectors are sequentially fired since they have individual driver chips that go bad individually... But just a guess.

Back