• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple Questions on 2017 AR190

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Astinus I can't open that link. What is it?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe @DBamaC uses that as well and says it's pretty much required if you want to tube.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yep, makes it really simple to move the tube across the wake and keeps the spray out of the rider’s eyes.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it just a floating ball with a rope running through it? Does it act like a shock absorber? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, or change anything other than keeping the rope out of the water a bit (which I already do by towing from the tower). I'll have to youtube some videos when I get home.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m assuming it works like the slingshot straps for pulling trucks out of the mud. They’re basically just ropes/straps with a heavy duty bungee in the middle (probably inside the ball) that stretches under load and retracts when not (like in a slowed turn).

You might be a little hesitant to add another part to the boat after your unsuccessful attempt with the L13 Cone, but after I installed the CJS Viper I lose less speed in the turn. I assume this is due to the planing surface keeping the boat level in the corners. The shipping is fast enough and the 30 day money back from Jeff makes it test-worthy.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It keeps the rope from dragging as it goes through the wake. As for towing tubes from the tower...I'm not going to give an opinion as it always leads to long drawn out discussions...you might want to do a little research here and from other sources so you understand why some people don't do it.

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It keeps the rope from dragging as it goes through the wake. As for towing tubes from the tower...I'm not going to give an opinion as it always leads to long drawn out discussions...you might want to do a little research here and from other sources so you understand why some people don't do it.
Sorry to steal the post, when tubing do you attach to the eye on the swim platform or the 2 eye bolts under the swim platform?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Eye on swim platform. You don't want that rope anywhere near the pump lol!!!

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I use the ski eye on the swim platform.

Still havent sucked up a rope...I'm sure my day is coming.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m assuming it works like the slingshot straps for pulling trucks out of the mud. They’re basically just ropes/straps with a heavy duty bungee in the middle (probably inside the ball) that stretches under load and retracts when not (like in a slowed turn).

You might be a little hesitant to add another part to the boat after your unsuccessful attempt with the L13 Cone, but after I installed the CJS Viper I lose less speed in the turn. I assume this is due to the planing surface keeping the boat level in the corners. The shipping is fast enough and the 30 day money back from Jeff makes it test-worthy.
I might give them a try due to the 30 day money back from Jeff. The problem is not that I'm losing speed in the corners. It will maintain speed just fine. I'm trying to ADD speed in the corners. I turn into the corner and apply power to "pull" the tube and rope in line with boat, thus forcing the tube outside the wake. Without much weight on the tube (a single 50lb 6yr old) this is significantly difficult to do. Put a couple teenagers on there and it's no big deal.

I was trying to dance around that one as well. I know it leads to a heated debate. I'm aware of the problems/concerns/issues with towing from the tower. I change the setup accordingly depending on weight of riders, conditions of water, how busy the traffic is, etc. I appreciate the concern though.

I use the ski eye on the swim platform.

Still havent sucked up a rope...I'm sure my day is coming.
I too haven't sucked a rope yet. Diligence on driver and crew education ahead of time has helped......but I'm only in my second season, so I'm not counting any chickens before they hatch :D

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I find that pulling tubes behind a jet to be a little different than with prop boats. I make my turns in a sort of two-step processes. A quick turn to the lock, back to straight and then a smaller turn to really get the tube out on the edge. It's kind of hard to explain. With a prop you just kind of serpentine.

I probably won't pull the tube this weekend due to the amount of traffic I typically see on a holiday weekend, but next time I do I'll see if I can get my wife to help out with a little videography of what I'm doing with the steering wheel and how the tube is reacting.

As for the throttle, I don't really change it once I decide on the speed I want...at least not until I'm ready for the kids to come off. ;)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find that pulling tubes behind a jet to be a little different than with prop boats. I make my turns in a sort of two-step processes. A quick turn to the lock, back to straight and then a smaller turn to really get the tube out on the edge. It's kind of hard to explain. With a prop you just kind of serpentine.

I probably won't pull the tube this weekend due to the amount of traffic I typically see on a holiday weekend, but next time I do I'll see if I can get my wife to help out with a little videography of what I'm doing with the steering wheel and how the tube is reacting.

As for the throttle, I don't really change it once I decide on the speed I want...at least not until I'm ready for the kids to come off. ;)
Gotcha, perhaps it's just a technique thing on my end........although sure would be nice to address the cavitation issue as well. It's not keeping the 6yr old or his buddies from enjoying the ride any less, it's really just me being overly picky. It also doesn't help when I have a slightly overconfident friend that says something like "I've never been thrown from a tube", to which I always have to show off a bit and toss them off.

I too most likely will leave the tube at home on Memorial Day weekend. Too many people out on the water, and most of them are "first time this season" boaters, or "I just bought a boat and have never been on the water before" boaters. Far to dangerous most of time. Especially in the middle of the day.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the 60' version of this exact rope. The last 6' is the bungee section, and it acts just like a shock absorber for both getting out of the hole, and helps to smooth out running through rough water. Much smoother ride on the tube, especially multi-person tubes. It can also act as an accelerant when changing turn directions to swing the tuber from one side of the wake to the other. It's a great addition for both young riders with the smoothness, and older riders for the potential to add thrills.

I have been contemplating adding the booster ball as well. Not for keeping the line afloat, but for blocking pump spray from the tube riders. Once the boat gets moving with anymore than about 5500 RPM, the riders are taking the spray right in the face. My hope is the ball would block most of the spray.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Resealed the pump tonight. I made a whole new thread for that shenaniganery. Also pulled the ribbon out from behind the throttle body. Dunno if that will help/hurt anything, but had a spare hour and figured why not. Top speed with the L13 last time out was still 42mph, but RPM was down to around 7200 or so. Maybe this will get me a few more rpm, and maybe another mph?!?!

Can't believe this allows any air through!:
20180526_173510.jpg

Worst part is trying to get the stupid air filter box in/out. Getting the throttle body off, and the ribbon holder piece off was super simple.

This tool is a MUST HAVE if you're gonna work on the boat in the summer in the garage. Battery operated fan with a spring clip holding it in place.
20180526_172859.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Resealed the pump tonight. I made a whole new thread for that shenaniganery. Also pulled the ribbon out from behind the throttle body. Dunno if that will help/hurt anything, but had a spare hour and figured why not. Top speed with the L13 last time out was still 42mph, but RPM was down to around 7200 or so. Maybe this will get me a few more rpm, and maybe another mph?!?!

Can't believe this allows any air through!:
View attachment 75243

Worst part is trying to get the stupid air filter box in/out. Getting the throttle body off, and the ribbon holder piece off was super simple.

This tool is a MUST HAVE if you're gonna work on the boat in the summer in the garage. Battery operated fan with a spring clip holding it in place.
View attachment 75244
You know you can just pull those boxes off of the bulkhead bolts - without unbolting anything, right? There are rubber flanges - just pull the filter boxes off, no unbolting.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know you can just pull those boxes off of the bulkhead bolts - without unbolting anything, right? There are rubber flanges - just pull the filter boxes off, no unbolting.

--
Figured that out during reinstallation. Skipped it during removal trying ti save time/effort of removing the 4 bolts holding it in.

Made it a bit easier for certain. Still wasn't but maybe 45min job overall.

I'm curious how you guys work on these things with white interiors and not spend half your time just keeping the interior clean. Maybe I need to clean my tools from years of automotive use where grease/dirt is far less of a problem?

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did my fin install this weekend. Apparently some thread locker got on my clothes and then dripped or rubbed onto my seats. Going to be a fun one to try to remove.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, couple more questions. These have developed over the last few outings and I'm looking to remedy/mediate the effects.

How the crap do people keep these boats from "swinging" while at anchor? When sitting at anchor in deep (more than 10ft) water, this boat seems to "swing" far more than any other boat I've been on. So much as a small breeze, and the boat will swing from side to side significantly. By swinging I mean the wind will catch one side, and the boat will drift to the left for a good bit, then the anchor line will spin the front the other direction, the breeze will catch the other side of the boat, and here we go drifting the other direction. On windier days this is amplified and there have been times where we've "swung" probably 30ft or more in either direction. Not a problem with either a little bit of current, or another boat tied off to give us two points of contact with the ground. This is super annoying with around another group of boats, but not actually tied to them. My boat tends to "swing into them" which either makes new friends or enemies depending on the outlook of the other boater. The secondary concern here is that shade is wildly inconsistent when this is going on. With a 2mo old little boy on board we have to hold him and constantly move around to keep him in the shade if it's anytime before ~10am, or after ~2pm. The sun just comes on in at an angle under the bimini and with the boat swinging around I can't keep the shade stationary. I've tried increasing scope on the anchor line to obscene levels. I've tried running the line through the bow eye instead of just to a side cleat. Nothing seems to help. AM I going to be relegated to getting a second anchor to keep the boat pointing in one particular direction? Any thoughts for help on this?

Now, what is an actual running depth that I need to keep under the boat? There is a nice shallow spot on the way out to the dam from our preferred launch site. Most boats avoid it and drive "around". I'm thinking since I'm in a jet without any lower unit hanging down that I can just skim over the top of it, but I'm unsure how deep it actually is (I'll go find charts, or get out and swim/walk it one day), as well as how deep I actually need to keep the water under the boat while on plane. Is 12in water enough?