• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple Questions on 2017 AR190

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just picked up a new AR195 and have noticed steering slop described above. There are two things contributing to this one being the plastic bushing on the connection to the noozle and the next somewhere in the steering system. I can hold the noozle while my wife turns the steering wheel off dead centre and there is no movement in the noozle until past the 11 and 1 position. I am also expereiencing very stiff steering which is from the noozle as disconnected the steering wheel moves freely. At this stage in the ownership I will let Yamaha figure out the fix and report back.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just picked up a new AR195 and have noticed steering slop described above. There are two things contributing to this one being the plastic bushing on the connection to the noozle and the next somewhere in the steering system. I can hold the noozle while my wife turns the steering wheel off dead centre and there is no movement in the noozle until past the 11 and 1 position. I am also expereiencing very stiff steering which is from the noozle as disconnected the steering wheel moves freely. At this stage in the ownership I will let Yamaha figure out the fix and report back.
I definitely don't think you are alone there with the steering slop. I always chocked it up to "that is just the way these boats handle," but never thought to check it out in the manner you did. That is a very interesting find. Hopefully someone else who has played with this can chime in with what is actually going on with the slop and where it is coming from. I would create your own thread to maximize the number of views.

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I definitely don't think you are alone there with the steering slop. I always chocked it up to "that is just the way these boats handle," but never thought to check it out in the manner you did. That is a very interesting find. Hopefully someone else who has played with this can chime in with what is actually going on with the slop and where it is coming from. I would create your own thread to maximize the number of views.
I pulled the front open bow seat cushion off to see the steering gear in action here is what you see.
I also disconnected the noozle from the cable again and this time held the cable while we turned the steering wheel and no slop. The slop is primarily in the the back connection/bushing.

Attachments

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As I thought the rudder assembly needed to be removed and cleaned/lubricated and everything is now fantastic. Before replacing the cable disconnect the steering cable and try moving the rudder assemblely by hand. Should be very easy to do. Mine was definitely not the case.

Ian Andrews

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I suspect the steering slop will also be improved as the cable was likely fighting the rudder assembly to change direction. I won’t know until next summer as I am done for the year.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I suspect the steering slop will also be improved as the cable was likely fighting the rudder assembly to change direction. I won’t know until next summer as I am done for the year.
Done already? Where do you live?!

Glad to see you solved the problem.