• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Must have equipment for new boaters - Yamaha 212x

Meetball

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If it helps, treat driving the boat similar to flying a plane. Pilots won't do anything without a checklist for each step, it is good to help you establish a retune of everything you need to do before heading out and when pulling the boat at the end of the day.

Depending on where you boat and what your emergency prep mindset is, a Spot Beacon or EPERB is something to have on the boat. I do a lot of boating on lakes with no cell phone service and limited radio communication making calling for help difficult. Depending on where you go, it could be a good thing to have.
I am a licensed pilot and can vouch for the checklist. The first time you forget the drain plug and find your boat full of water in the middle of the lake, you will be wishing you had taken the time to do it right.

chriskreuser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hello we just purchased our first boat (2019 Yamaha 212x).
We still have several months here in Ohio until we will pick it up, so we are wanting to start buying the extras that we need to get started.
Any tips or recommendations from the pros would be appreciated.
Here is the short list so far that we have purchased.
Several tubes, rope.
Pump
Two wakeboards and rope.
16lb richter anchor 150 ft anchor line, chain.
Life jackets

What else is a must for new boaters?
Fenders? What kind and size, how many?
Fire extinguishers and mount recommendations
Add’l anchor?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Hey there. I am in the same position. Just got my 2019 212X home this week and great thread. Need to buy all the fun stuff. Maybe hook up on Alum Creek sometime to learn more. Chris.

Buckeye Boater 79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey there. I am in the same position. Just got my 2019 212X home this week and great thread. Need to buy all the fun stuff. Maybe hook up on Alum Creek sometime to learn more. Chris.
You will love it. We used ours like crazy last year.
We are at alumn creek all the time, so we will definitely have to hook up sometime. Adam.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it but I did not see anyone list a paddle? Definitely not something you want to use but something you will really regret not having if needed. Ours is telescoping and has a mooring hook on one end. The hook is conveinant.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy their cheap tool kit (Clicky Clicky) and then make yourself a small electrical kit (crimpers, shrink tubing, lighter, side cutters, etc.)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it but I did not see anyone list a paddle? Definitely not something you want to use but something you will really regret not having if needed. Ours is telescoping and has a mooring hook on one end. The hook is conveinant.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy their cheap tool kit (Clicky Clicky) and then make yourself a small electrical kit (crimpers, shrink tubing, lighter, side cutters, etc.)
Spare ignition lanyard in case your kid pitches it overboard while you’re swimming. Good sharp knife with a curved blade for cutting ropes out of the impeller tube. Misc zip ties and bungees. Electrical tape. Spare fuses.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I carry a whole toolbox... All the basics. Pliers, screwdrivers, electrical tape, flashlight, lighter, box end wrenches, socket set...

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha tattoo, required identification for all owners.......

Not actually.... I'm far too afraid of needles to ever get any sort of tattoo.... lol

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah... and then what happens if you sell that and get a Moomba Max or something?

Gas Passer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's the checklist on my phone. Yes...I'm a pilot. Some items not listed always stay on the boat.

Boating checklist

Before leaving home
Keys (all sets)
Fenders
Life jackets
Tools
Boat registration
Sunglasses
Hats
Hose
Boat washing stuff

Before launching
Drain plugs - installed
Fenders - on
Tie lines - installed
Keys on ignition
Safety
Cleanout Ports - installed
Batteries - on
Remove trailer tie downs (back)

After pulling out
Remove Drain Plugs
Batteries - off
Secure lanyard
Remove clean out ports

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven’t used these to cut a tow rope out of a pump, yet, but being in up a creek without a paddle or rather adrift without a proper cutting tool before, several times, is what caused me to buy these. Jet boats have their pros and cons just like all boats do.
5C030CB0-36EE-4755-B110-223CC54096A6.jpeg

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Battery jumper pack. Never needed it ourself, but great for piece of mind & not being a killjoy worrying about the batteries. Used ours 3 times for other boaters to save their butts.

Gas Passer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love this thing. Emergency battery jumper, AC plug for a regular air pump, air compressor for the trailer, and flash light.

Attachments

dmincheff

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought these for the boat keys, those little chains break loose too easily.... chums

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I don’t know about you, but, to me, air pumps belong in the “handy but often overlooked” category of tools. Let’s be real, it’s not exactly what most of us would prioritize bringing along with us on any trip. I’ve lost count of the numerous times these nifty contraptions have gotten me out of a tight knot and extra expense while on the road, especially when air mattresses, chairs, beach balls, rafts, and tires need blowing up.

Last edited:

Cas1986

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat pole/hook is a must for me.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat pole/hook is a must for me.
Ironically, i thought that when I got my first boat but now, 21 years and four boats later, I realize that even though I store my original gag onboard I rarely ever use it (mostly due to forgetting I have it). If you can store it where it’s easy to see and get to you will be more likely to use it.