• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 2019 242 Limited SE audio build and modifications thread

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Made a few more upgrades for the start of this season. I really liked what I had seen others do with the addition of a Simrad GO5 next to the 12" connext screen. Added that with the Navionics card.

PXL_20210529_174559975.jpgPXL_20210529_174702501.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also added a 30" single row curved light bar for night cruising. No, I don't burn the light constantly and will only use it for spotting. PXL_20210529_174943005.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
And last, but certainly not least, I added 2 more (for a total of (4) REVO 10's. I had the power on tap so I figured what the heck. This gives me a total of (4) REV10's, (8) REVO 6.5's, and (4) REVO 10's. Yes.... It's now even more ridiculous. 😎PXL_20210529_174553251.jpg

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks super good buddy. That screen looks amazing in there

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
nice! All those subs.....

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
nice! All those subs.....
Yeah. I still would rather have my old Wetsounds XXXV2 in a vented enclosure, but not willing to give up the storage space.

SunnyD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well.... That didn't take long! I was temporarily using the two dealer installed "cranking batteries" for my house set up. I knew I'd eventually upgrade to deep cycle, but was hoping to get through the first season. Not so much..... After the first couple of sandbar weekends this year, I quickly realized I didn't have the juice I needed to get me through the day. Went ahead with (3) group 31 Duracell (Deka) deep cycles for the house and kept one of the Cranking batteries for the start. Too bad weather is going to be poor this weekend 😪
View attachment 122159
Nice!
Is it okay to have different size house and starter batteries?
Also, how do you charge withe the dsp there? Do you charge the starter only and let it spill over or individually?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice!
Is it okay to have different size house and starter batteries?
Also, how do you charge withe the dsp there? Do you charge the starter only and let it spill over or individually?
Thanks,
Different size batteries from house to start is no problem at all. There is a small modification that has to be done in order for the shore charger to properly charge both banks. Going off memory (its been a while), you have to cut the red loop wire on the back of the DSP and connect it to an "engine on" wire in the engine compartment.

Last edited:

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For start up I switch the batteries on and have an alligator clip that I clip on the negative battery terminal that is connected to the negative wire of the DSP. When done for the day or week I unclip the terminal and plug in the battery charger. This enables the DSP or disables it

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

Attachments

SunnyD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Decided to dust off the audio equipment I had in high school (30 years old!) to see if it works and put it in the boat if it does. The single 10 inch sub is not cutting it. Unbelievably it still thumps! Had fun hooking up the Hifonics 200 watt amp, crossover, 12 inch Kicker (all from 1990) to my phone. Next I'll build an enclosure for the sub and try to find somewhere to put it.
Lesson for today kids...don't throw away your shit!
20220212_164803.jpg

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Decided to dust off the audio equipment I had in high school (30 years old!) to see if it works and put it in the boat if it does. The single 10 inch sub is not cutting it. Unbelievably it still thumps! Had fun hooking up the Hifonics 200 watt amp, crossover, 12 inch Kicker (all from 1990) to my phone. Next I'll build an enclosure for the sub and try to find somewhere to put it.
Lesson for today kids...don't throw away your shit!
View attachment 171029
LoL, I'm doing the same thing. I found my old Phoenix Gold Zeropoint amp, and a 10" Polk Momo sub. I'm seriously considering installing them in the boat. Some guys on FB are talking about the old Phoenix Gold legacy gear being worth good money now, I 'm torn on risking salt damage on it. I may get a cheap marine amp and drive that old Polk.

SunnyD

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I 'm torn on risking salt damage on it. I may get a cheap marine amp and drive that old Polk.
You're not so much risking salt damage as you are assured salt damage. I'm on a lake so I don't have that issue.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
You're not so much risking salt damage as you are assured salt damage. I'm on a lake so I don't have that issue.
Yea, I think so too. We use our boat in the lake, as well as the bay. I don't want to damage it, I'm thinking I might buy a marine amp and throw my good one in my truck LoL... Win win!!

jester44399

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@redthumper9 Love the install! I have wanted to do most of the same install for speakers as you did. I had a problem with my OEM wetsounds amp that came with the boat (which was garbage and the sub output never worked) and had it replaced, then all sorts of things ratteled like crazy. Have you noticed any excessive rattling and if so how did you address it (sound deadening, etc)? Id love to be able to do this all in one shot, but I think Ill have to eventually piece mine together bit by bit, starting with and amp upgrade and maybe upgrade all the cabin speakers. Also, how did you wire the new cabin speakers with the exisiting ones?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@redthumper9 Love the install! I have wanted to do most of the same install for speakers as you did. I had a problem with my OEM wetsounds amp that came with the boat (which was garbage and the sub output never worked) and had it replaced, then all sorts of things ratteled like crazy. Have you noticed any excessive rattling and if so how did you address it (sound deadening, etc)? Id love to be able to do this all in one shot, but I think Ill have to eventually piece mine together bit by bit, starting with and amp upgrade and maybe upgrade all the cabin speakers. Also, how did you wire the new cabin speakers with the exisiting ones?
there is quite a bit of rattling at high volumes. The combing pockets in the port and starboard side both rattle the worst. I have done some wedging to help, but it’s still pretty bad. There are some other things I may get around to trying this season. When I installed the second pair of subs in the starboard rear compartment, the cushion rattled pretty bad, but this was solved with a piece of weather strip attached to the bottom of the cushion. As far as the wiring with the new cabin speakers, I ran all new wire to every speaker so I didn’t have to tap on anywhere.

jester44399

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@redthumper9 are all of your 6.5" speakers (8) running off of your 6 chanel amp? Or are the 6 cabin speakers (including the two new ones at the helm and passenger area on your 6 chanel and the swim deck speakers on one of the other amps? Just trying to figure out how to wire everything up if you didnt bridge the two new cabin speakers with the exisiting ones. I know you have an amp for subs, another amp for your towers, just asking how you powered all 8 of your coax speakers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@redthumper9 are all of your 6.5" speakers (8) running off of your 6 chanel amp? Or are the 6 cabin speakers (including the two new ones at the helm and passenger area on your 6 chanel and the swim deck speakers on one of the other amps? Just trying to figure out how to wire everything up if you didnt bridge the two new cabin speakers with the exisiting ones. I know you have an amp for subs, another amp for your towers, just asking how you powered all 8 of your coax speakers.
Yes they are all running off the SD6 amp channels 1,2 are running the now, 3,4 are running the 4 in the cabin at a 2 ohm load and 5,6 are running the swim platform