• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My AR240 upgrades and stereo build.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I realized that I have never made a recording of the boats sound system (not that you can tell what it really sounds like).......so I made quick recording for a buddy of mine that's into "dubstep" this past weekend. I'll try to make one with a real SONG that everyone will recognize eventually. BTW, try to listen to it on something decent like earphones, or a nice set of speakers on your computer. Just your iPad or phone won't do it justice. This is only about 120' away.
4 Exile XM9's:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As I have mentioned in a couple of other threads, I was given the opportunity by Performance East in Goldsboro NC, to be a, sort of, demo boat to help them advertise their Wet Sounds equipment. They have been selling the brand for quite some time, but concentrated more on their ATV and UTV side selling coaxials and soundbars. First let me start by saying that my stereo last year was great! It was LOUD.....very loud....and sounded great. Had I not been given this chance, I would not have changed a thing.

I started with the towers. I am now sporting 4 custom painted REV 10's with RGB led rings. They are powered by a Wet Sounds Sinister SD2 amplifier. This did take the tower sound to another level. It's noticeably cleaner and warmer sounding in addition to being louder.
20160417_110809.jpg

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Moving on, I stuck with my JL cabin speakers from last season. I simply love how they sound and saw no need to change. They are now powered by a Wet Sounds Sinister SD6.......overkill I know....but I like the extra headroom and it allows for further expansion.

Next to the subwoofer. To my surprise, after talking to Wet Sounds directly, my existing enclosure was within 1/10 cu.ft. of being spot on. The port size and length was also correct. So I added an interior brace and dropped in a Wet Sounds XXX V2 sub. It is also powered by yet another Wet Sounds SD2 amplifier.
20160417_094534.jpg
20160417_103810.jpg

......all in all, it's a nice upgrade across the board. It has taken the stereo to a whole other level. I still have some fine tuning to do, but it's louder, cleaner and seems to be more efficient then before. I will be upgrading my battery situation as well as my on board charger to accommodate the additional power in a few weeks.

Last edited:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also. Forgot to mention, I love the new Seadek that I got from the group buy last year!

20160403_141628.jpg

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you plan on using as batteries? That seems like it is going to be power hungry, but awesome...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was wondering when you were gonna post this! Wetsounds has been posting your boat on their pages for weeks now!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Took the boat out for the first time this Sunday. OMG....this thing is incredibly impressive. I was most surprised by the amount of bass that was gained. Going from one 12" woofer to another didnt seem like it would make much of a difference, but I guess the increase in power was a big contributor.

@PaulyB .......I am currently running (2) group 29 marine batteries as the house and an additional group 27 as a start battery. I am probably going with (3) group 29 Deka batteries for the house. I am not the kind to run at high volume for any great length of time. Usually its a low volume for most of the day with several "crank ups" throughout usually lasting a song or two. I have never had an issue with power up to this point so I think that will be sufficient......we'll see!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's awesome! One day I will upgrade but not any time soon.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That install looks great!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@redthumper9
@Josh Austin

How is your steering wheel holding up? If yours are still doing well, I am going to order one also.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks a bunch. I just bought one.

I had bought one somewhat similar to this about a year ago and it is already fading and peeling away. Hopefully, this one won't do that. Thanks again!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I ordered one. But, they sent me an email stating they were out of stock and cancelled my order. They said they should get more stock in about 2 weeks. So, I will order one then.

Gmills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With all these stereo modifications, did you use the factory head unit? I am a novice DIY installer with a couple car stereo projects under my belt. A buddy wants me to install in his 2014 AR240 new speakers, tower speakers, and a sub. Curious as the best way to set up the front/rear adjustment, four in-boat speakers as the front, then tower and sub as the rear???

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I run a Wet Sounds WS-420BT preamp/eq. It has aux inputs and bluetooth and virtually eliminates the NEED for a headunit and enables me to control the levels of the towers, cabin and sub independently. However, I still use a headunit. I am currently running a Fusion ip600 because I like to just stick my ipod inside the unit and forget it. The Fusions have a great ipod interface and it's a breeze to shuffle through song and playlist. My stock headunit, while not the best, was capable because all I needed was one amp output going to my preamp.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Gmills,
I doubt you would package the sub and tower on a single zone. There are several ways to get the optimum and full zone to zone control. JL Audio has amplifiers with zone control ports negating the need for an EQ or separate zone controller. Wetsounds has the 420 EQ with triple-zone control plus a 220 non-EQ four-zone controller.
I would look to Odin at Earmark Marine. He has all the options available, the knowledge to get you the right solution, plus provides the support throughout the installation process.

Binymac

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made this amp rack for my AR240 ....... I wanted to be able to access the equipment easily. It's working out great so far ........ it's fairly easy to adjust the crossovers, bass, mids, highs etc.

upload_2016-6-16_14-5-49.png

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@redthumper9 how did you run your wires through the hull of your boat? I am about to help @Amar Nanduri install a stereo on his 2010 AR240, but the tower is different than my 2008 AR230 so it doesn't look like I can run it through the feet of the tower.