• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My first 30 days...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So... tomorrow will mark 30 days since I brought home our 2011 SX 210. I wanted to get a few thoughts down, as well as start a running log of my mods and other accessories.

Here's a link, if anybody wants to review the accessories and mods (and pics). I've also added the link in my signature.

Now a few other observations from a jetboat newbie, coming from a 25yr old 19' I/O.

Ride: Not sure if it's just 2' longer, or newer hull design... but man, this boat rides so much smoother. Old boat is capable of running similar speeds, but was only comfortable to do so on extremely calm waters. Our common cruising speed used to be 20-25 mph. Now, our cruise speed is low 30's.

Launch / Retrieval: Still getting used to this. Trailer needs to be deeper than we were used to. Heavier boat, longer boat, etc. Also, reverse just doesn't have the same kind of thrust that I was used to. It really can't pull the boat off the trailer, if you aren't deep enough. (And, probably shouldn't as I recently discovered) I knew reverse would be different, but knowing it and experiencing it on the water is a little different. :)

Noise: again, it was expected. So far, it hasn't been a problem. It is hard to talk at cruising speed. But, we're also cruising faster and there is more wind noise than we had before. Biggest change here, I think, is just the speed the engines turn. We're turning a whole lot more rpms than we used to.

Steering: the boat has thrust vectors on it already. Coming off plane the boat does an immediate turn and takes a bit of effort to get back to going straight. Like going full speed and pulling back to enter a no wake zone. I'm finding that if I pull back a little slower instead of just cutting the power I can keep it headed in the right direction. I feel like I'm curious about Cobra Jet's offerings that stay in the water at speed. The rear of the boat wiggles more than I'm used to when crossing waves. Curious if all the Yamaha boats (prior to the new keel/rudder) do this... trying to turn when coming off plane, I mean.

Perfect Pass: Love it. Imagine the RideSteady product is even better being as it talks to the computer, rather than relying on mechanical throttle adjustments. PP menu system is a bit of a pain, so far. I think I'm just using a single profile and adjusting the speed for my needs on that single profile, instead of actually selecting different profiles.

Layout/floor plan/storage: So much more room than the old configuration. It's actually comfortable to spend the day. The old boat was so tight, we pretty much went out pulled the tube around and whatever else we were doing... and called it a day after 2-3 hours max. The bimini, the swim deck, greater floor space all comes together to make a much more comfortable experience. I've got more stuff, already, in this boat than the last one and I've still got 2 compartments that are mostly unused. Plus, another compartment that's full of ballast bags and isn't used for much.

I think that's about it for now. On the launch / retrieval note above, yesterday I noticed some scratches that I think I've caused. Not sure when, but I'm either doing something wrong or I feel like my bunks are messed up / need carpet replaced again. I think the biggest thing is that I need to make sure we're getting deep enough. We have a pretty shallow incline at our normal ramp, and I think we're just going to have to get the rear tires wet. Didn't have to do that with our old boat.

File_000.jpeg File_001.jpeg

I was out running around yesterday, and actually had the boat with me, so went by the dealer. Service dept told me to make sure I get the bunks cleaned next time we launch. Told me to think about pressure washing them, if possible, as they might have grime in the carpet. He wasn't too concerned, but did point at a couple scratches that appear to be just through the gelcoat.

As my wife says... just another learning experience that makes us glad we didn't start off with a brand new boat. We'll get the kinks worked out on this one and then move up when the kids are older and less likely to spill red drinks or orange snacks that end with "O's". (Or, when @RampRage is ready to trade again... whichever comes first. Lol)

I'm sure I forgot something that I had planned on adding. If I remember anything, I'll come back and add an edit to the post.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great post. No need to power the boat off at all just roll the trailer till the rear is floating good the press the break on the tow vehicle hard to a firm stop and it will float right off then have the tow vehicle driver pull away.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Regarding Perfect Pass, I do the exact same thing... it is way faster and more intuitive to just leave the rider profile as is and simply press up or down to set the speed.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never power my boat on or off, never understood why people do that, perhaps with a large boat you have to but its not worth damaging the hull.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Silicone spray on the bunks also makes them slippery to assist. Watch out, it may make it very slippery.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the habit of taking a stiff shop brush to the bunks before I retrieve. Then a little silicone spray on the bunks. I almost never power on or off. No scratching in 3 years on my AR240.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before I launch my boat I will back the trailer down deep so that it completely submerged and wets the bunks then I pull the truck forward a little to normal launch depth. I do not power the boat off as there should never be a reason to. If you're doing that then it usually means you're not deep enough. If you're tires aren't getting wet then yea you are for sure not getting deep enough!

When it's time to retrieve the boat I do the same. I will back the trailer down deep to completely submerge and rinse the bunks and then I pull forward. Depending on the ramp I will either power it up (which for a jet boat means not a whole lot of thrust required if you're deep enough) or if the ramp is shallow and not steep I will winch it up. Usually powering the last bit isn't required as I usually come in at No Wake Mode second setting. I do not like winching it up on these boats because the hull is so thin and you can get stress cracks and loud pops when you try to lug the boat along the bunks. Wetting the bunks makes it easier. Some people even spray their bunks with cooking oil like Pam but I have never had the need for lubrication so long as the bunk carpet is kept clean and is wet prior to launching or retrieving.

I've been doing this for 2 years now without scratches on my black hull. I did the same for my skis and never scratched the hulls. When you trailer you can pick up rocks and debris from the road on the way to the lake so dipping your bunks helps free some of that dirt before you slide your shiny hull across what is basically sand paper if it isn't cleaned.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I strongly recommend you install my Ultimate steering and fangs on your boat, you will have all the steering at all speeds you could ever want.
The fangs will provide a power steering effect and greatly improved reverse.
I guarantee you will be impressed with the system , everyone gets a 30 day money back guarantee so no worries there although I have numerous customer stories posted on my facebook page from people who changed over to my steering as well as many members here https://www.facebook.com/Cobra-jet-steering-257584527645178/?view_public_for=257584527645178 .
The ultimate set has numerous levels of influence for all speed assistance, They are spring loaded. the fins are laser cut from 6061-t6 aluminum for strength and durability. their versatility also allows you to change them from down at speed to up at speed if you want to vhange things occasionally, their full time mode is great for water sports to plant the back of the boat.
The fangs hold the reverse water under the boat so that you get improved reverse control and better reverse stopping power in an emergency . It is my most popular system for boats like yours. Get the boat you really wanted add the ULTIMATES to your boat! here is just one of many emails I receive from people who changed their steering I post them on facebook also.

>
> I’ve had my 09 Yamaha 232 Limited S for the past five seasons. In that time I’ve had your competitor’s fins on my boat as well as a set of Venom Ultimates + Fangs. Needless to say, your product is hands’-down 150% better than the competition — they just work as designed, with no excess steering or vibrations at random times.
> ...
> Thus, here’s my new situation. My family is getting into wake boarding more and more so I’m upgrading my boat and need a new set of fins. Specifically, I’m looking at a set of Magnum A.K. Steering System and Fangs for my new boat. Here’s the Details:
>
> Boat: 2017 Yamaha 242X E-series.
> I’d like the AK Steering System and Fangs.
There are numerous threads on this web page for you to do your research, here is a link to one https://jetboaters.net/threads/thank-you-cobra-jet-steering-and-jeff.537/#post-201794
Thank you.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 in my experience this is caused from one of two things or both. While unloading the boat, the reverse thrust blowing debris onto the bunks or like you said not putting the trailer far enough into the water and power loading it on the trailer. I try and clean the carpet on the bunks a few times a year and putting the trailer in further allowing the boat to float over the bunks instead of sliding up on them.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I feel like I'm quickly running out of days. Yesterday was perfect, but we didn't get on the water. I'm going to make an effort to get off the trailer in the next several days and check a few of these suggestions.

Thanks all!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I strongly recommend you install my Ultimate steering and fangs on your boat, you will have all the steering at all speeds you could ever want.
I'm sure curious about your Vipers. Can't wait to see the feedback on the twin engines. But, if I do anything different, I'll want to wait until Spring. Otherwise the 30 day guarantee won't do me any good. :)

Do you think the Ultimates and Fangs will continue to be the recommendation over the Viper?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I hate to say it but the original person never did get back to me and I have another person on this board who is also supposed to0 be testing those on a twin engine boat and supplying some feedback . As of yet I have not had any info . The Ultimate steering is a proven system that I know works excellent on your type boat ! One thing I do know as I was in the boat when it was tested I was in a 24 foot Yamaha with the Ultimate steering and fangs, I had the boat owner run wide open, pull the throttles back to neutral, then make a hard turn off power the boat carved so I had him do another test and at wide open throttle pull back the throttles to neutral I had him do an S turn left and right immediately following each other and the boat carved the turns even the boat owner was amazed.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’m in the habit of taking a stiff shop brush to the bunks before I retrieve. Then a little silicone spray on the bunks. I almost never power on or off. No scratching in 3 years on my AR240.
Is this silicon spray something that gets applied every outing? Or, is an annual or "every now and then" application sufficient? Something like this?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The wife and I are still getting our routine ironed out. As @buckbuck witnessed last weekend, she's getting to be a pro at backing the trailer in for launch and retrieval. And, she's willing to help. Next time, we'll leave the boat in the water and look at the bunks together. It wouldn't be a huge deal to leave a brush in the truck and have her brush them quick before bringing the trailer around.

We've never had to do that (brush bunks) before, so that's annoying. I really think our problem has been our depth and we've been forcing it. At least more so over grime in the carpet. But, we'll definitely check it out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Spraying the bunks with some furniture polish like pledge also work very nicely but one thing you need to remember is never undo the winch strap before backing down the ramp if you are spraying your bunks because you may loose your boat on the ramp " REALLY"

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To reiterate...After lubricating bunks, only undo strap when you are ready for boat to depart. It just might!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To update the answer to the question of the vipers effectiveness on twin engine boats.
I was advised that one of my test people did get a chance to test his out and he will hopefully be replying with his observations very soon.
Here is his opinion of the twin setup, https://jetboaters.net/threads/two-headed-viper.15684/

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, just moved the boat and forgot to unplug the extension cord plugged into the side of the boat for my new onboard charger. First time moving it, since installing it.

No damage, just bent the license plate a bit as I was pulling away listening to my wife yell to stop. Lol :)

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 , here's a link to (a) bunk spray: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marykate--liquid-rollers--1244805?recordNum=2
I only trailer a couple of times a year (in/out) so i've ben putting this on mostly out of fear that the carpets would dry out.
As far as the ramp goes, per someone's suggestion I back the trailer in until the fenders are completely submerged. The back's floating at that point. From the pictures I'd say you're not going in deep enough to get those scratches. Another guess would be backing off under power and the amount of crap you'd be lifting off the bottom with the jets - some into the intakes and some onto the bunks... neither a good idea IMO...
I know - the problem is that ramps differ. We're lucky enough to be able to use a good, long, concrete ramp that's at a good angle. Too shallow and you'll end up backing in until the exhaust's damn near submerged on the tow vehicle! (Yeah, used a ramp like that - once.) You might have to /want to try a different ramp if at all possible...