• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new boat is in! Moomba Max

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The engine growl is a good one. She loves the sound of big blocks with performance exhausts as much as I do. Quiet in the cabin does not matter so much with how loud we play the music. The engine noise is not great but we have learned to live with it and really do love our boat. To be perfectly honest with the amount of customization I have done the only thing things that are attractive about a vdrive for me is the larger wake, pretty colors, and engine tones. I may end up talking myself out of it in the process.
Take a demo drive in one and you'll likely know whether you want one or not. They handle considerably differently than a jet at all speeds. It's a much different experience from the captain's seat.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve seen generally people get 4-5 gph surfing while running over 4,000 lbs of ballast.
Sure, but that is usually given in the context of a whole day consumption, so to speak. So - they you would go surf say from noon to 7p and then average the burn per hour to give you a 5gph - which is still impressive! but of course will include various amounts of idling etc.

I know from personal experience most ski/wake boats pulling a skier at 34-36mph will burn over 20gph, more like 30gph.
I think the wake boats shine in surfing speeds, compared to Yamaha jets, but at higher speeds things will even out a bit. Same about the range, a properly setup N/A twin will cruise almost as far as a ski boat. Singles, and especially Supercharged singles (Yamaha 192, 195) are a different story!

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
True if I was hammering down I would for sure burn that fuel! I prefer to cruise in the mid to high 20’s even when I had my AR192. Wife isn’t real big on blasting around everywhere but my daughter is like me and doesn’t mind the wind and speeds at times lol. I was turning 4000 RPM at 27-28 mph with front ballast 75% full and 100% wake plate in big lake waters. It will be interesting to know what my gph average has been with the mixed driving I’ve been doing with the break-in. I think I have that reading somewhere tucked inside of my screen settings but I haven’t really dove into it. Hoping to give the electronics a deeper look next time I’m out on the water messing about. I will be sure to let you guys know how she burns fuel. It has multiport EFI and dual spark plugs to help with the fuel efficiency. I also noticed on the side of my bow it has an ultra low emissions sticker which I was kind of surprised but good to know.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Take a demo drive in one and you'll likely know whether you want one or not. They handle considerably differently than a jet at all speeds. It's a much different experience from the captain's seat.
So true!!

When @blacksapphirez was with me I told him I was about to show him how the Max carves and I think he will tell you it rips hard :D! I think he was a bit surprised at seeing a big boat handle like that. He said damn that’s jet boat spin territory and that’s when i told him I wasn’t even really cranking her over lol. It really is a completely different / feeling experience compared to my jet!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They turn and track as though attached to an underwater rail. If you prefer the "looser"/playful handling of a jet, you probably won't like it. Personally, I love it and find it very confidence inspiring.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup that’s a good way to describe it. Like it’s on rails! There is minimal speed scrub as well compared to my jet where I always had to throttle up.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
better than 242x... except getting back on board...no ladder=struggle

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pretty easy to install a ladder on the bottom of the swim platform. I put a Garelick EEZ-In ladder on my MB at the beginning of last summer. Great upgrade for some of our folks who aren't quite as adept at popping up onto the platform out of the water.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
better than 242x... except getting back on board...no ladder=struggle
What, you didn’t like my beached whale impersonation? :D

I think we will just end up trying the PWC rope ladder like this style Hardline PWC/Jet Boat Boarding Ladder Boat Boarding Ladders and see how it goes first. I know they can swing under a little but all I need is one foot to help. Either that or just fill some rear ballast as we creep to the cove or anchor spot since it won’t take much time to fill. I’m just worried I’ll mess my wave up or screw up the holes on the swim platform on a new boat. Let me let the newness wear off first and then I’ll be better with accepting drilling into her lol.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
turning 4000 RPM at 27-28 mph
Yeah, that is super cool. That and the fact you do not need to mess with any soundproofing to enjoy the ride.

I'm also impressed how high is your freeboard sitting, it looks like you could cross over some pretty big wake without any worries. I guess my friends and their boats are all getting old!...lol, the ski/wake boats I know best you need to be careful turning around or you can get swamped by your own wake.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jin piloting the Max like a boss :D...

E1CF9031-80E9-446B-A36E-4FB451223344.jpeg

Jin and his wife Susie. She suggested a few names for the new boat. One I got a good laugh is “Guilty Pleasure”. Might have to use that one if we name the boat.

73B1437B-CDEA-41CD-9367-9CD472292DBD.jpeg

Pay no attention to the big guy with a burly beard flying in the wind. He’s trouble :D!!

843AF631-98DF-48AE-AA2D-0B9BD90BF88C.jpeg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’ve tried the rope ladder thing. Would not bother with it again. Filling ballast to lower the platform is effective. If you install the ladder in the center of the platform, it will have zero impact on wake or wave.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, that is super cool. That and the fact you do not need to mess with any soundproofing to enjoy the ride.

I'm also impressed how high is your freeboard sitting, it looks like you could cross over some pretty big wake without any worries. I guess my friends and their boats are all getting old!...lol, the ski/wake boats I know best you need to be careful turning around or you can get swamped by your own wake.

--
Yea the freeboard is pretty nuts on this boat and something you have to experience on the water. When the boat is up on plane the bow and entire running surface lifts high and you feel like a 4x4 out there. I have some video laying over the front of the bow while on plane looking down to the water and I’m not sure the height but it feels and looks way up there! I’ve taken the boat through rough waters and through big rollers and it’s no issue at all with water coming over the front or rear of the boat even if full ballast. I’ll try and get some footage going over my rollers next time to give you a good idea of just how tall the freeboard works on this boat.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FYI, you no longer need to pay double (or more) for a v-drive over jet these days. My new 2017 Helix cost slightly less than an equivalent 212X. :)
That wasn't possible a few years ago, but Yamaha prices are creeping up quickly.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a random clip while cruising so you can hear how quiet and smooth the engine sounds.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a random clip while cruising so you can hear how quiet and smooth the engine sounds.

No doubt, that is a more "mature" way of boating! And you have a great lake for it.

BTW - what did you guys do with @Bill D ??? He's been gone here, too.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No doubt, that is a more "mature" way of boating! And you have a great lake for it.

BTW - what did you guys do with @Bill D ??? He's been gone here, too.

--
He and his wife moved to Louisiana. I think their boat is still up here last I talked to him a few months ago :D!!!! He and his wife still keep in touch a little through FB and messenger. Miss those guys!! :(

We had a little get together at @DBamaC house last year before they moved away. I'm hoping they will be able to make it over this year for some boating.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Had a great but lonnnng day on the water. We are cooked and the 95 degree temps didn’t help lol. Got my break-in nearly complete with 1 hour left to go. At one point today I took 13 people out in the boat for a cruise and the wake and wave was bananas lol. I think the rooster tail was like 4 or 5 foot tall coming out of the hole!

Forgot my damn micro SD card for the GoPro so no vids :(

74BCC6BF-5069-43E5-83AD-6CAC984B175F.jpeg1EACF5E7-FC67-4AF8-BBB9-4B7DDACB8A55.jpeg9B97E7E3-7D3F-467D-9C13-3B9087A4BEC4.jpeg838CDE85-43DC-4F56-B26F-7100BC4DAA2C.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Absolutely beautiful. That flake pops! My next boat will be some combo of blue/grey. It just looks so good.