• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My ongoing fuel sender saga... good news!! <replacing fuel sender>

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf Yeah that bites, but look at the bright side, you now have a sender that recalibrates itself :) (once you get the other part fixed...) :banghead:

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Port0222 if they are square head (Robertson drive). It is a number 4. If you don't have i doubt you can source locally. Some have used a large Phillips. Or PM me I can send you a SS but I bought extra so no return needed. I swapped mine over to hex head following one of @Bruce write ups. Also make sure you align the sender properly it will only fit one way. If anyone else needs a bit PM me I'll send it out. I have 2-3 left.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that was the most rewarding 5 min fix ever. I have an 06 so there is an access hatch, so 5 hex head 8mms out, new unit in. And boom- I go from pegged over full to 5/8th of a tank. The only sad thing, it was so quick an easy, I did not open my beer, and then I felt like I lost 20 gallons of gas.

Best fix ever. All credit is due to this forum.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sweet! Should of had the beer to cope with loss of gas. This is on my todo list.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad I found this thread, I topped off our tank when we took our new to us 2008 SX230 HO out for it's maiden voyage, did not use much fuel, barely off the full mark. Took my Daughter, her boyfriend, and his friend out with us Saturday, ran the boat quite a bit fuel gauge showed about 3/4 of a tank. On the way home I stopped and filled it up, was shocked that it took close to 22 gallons, so I guess I need to order the new sender to make it accurate, especially need this when we take our week long trip to Lake Powell in August. Wish me luck talking to Mary Lol.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After spending 1/2 hour on the phone with Mary, she finally realizes why so many people with Yamaha Jet Boats are calling her and her concern was finally dealt with as I had this thread up on my computer. The missing link in her brain was this part number for the sending units are for a Mastercraft Boats, I told her the tanks in our Yamaha Boats are Manufactured by Moeller Marine Products, it's a Model 5314 - and she had her "Aha Moment" that Mastercraft's uses Moeller Marine Products fuel tanks as well. She was also concerned about the length of the sender, I told her that one of the forum members measured the stock unit against the replacement and they were identical in length. She was tough to get all this through her head, but she finally made the connection that these will work for the Yamaha's. So it should be easier for people to order this in the future now that she made the connection in her mind LOL. Mine should be here in a week or so.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am replacing my sending unit as we speak, the stock Wema sending unit has a thin metal top with a gasket underneath, the new centroid unit is 3/4 of an inch thick on top with a gasket below, so the factory bolts are not long enough. I figure I am going to need bolts 1.125" long with the same thread pitch, off to Ace Hardware.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is the difference in the stock vs. centroid sending unit, I wound up need 1 1/4" bolts, they are a standard 10/24 thread pitch/diameter for those who run into the same issue. They are the same length in the tank of 12 inches. Anyways after what should have been easy, turned into an all day affair with the deck cover, etc.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wonder if they changed design as no one has reported the hardware difference yet.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wonder if they changed design as no one has reported the hardware difference yet.
You can definitely see how much taller the top is compared to my stock unit. I ordered the same part number as in this thread, and the unit worked after I was finished.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is the difference in the stock vs. centroid sending unit, I wound up need 1 1/4" bolts, they are a standard 10/24 thread pitch/diameter for those who run into the same issue. They are the same length in the tank of 12 inches. Anyways after what should have been easy, turned into an all day affair with the deck cover, etc.

That's either not the stock sender or Yamaha changed styles in 2008. I'm betting it's not the stock sender.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's either not the stock sender or Yamaha changed styles in 2008. I'm betting it's not the stock sender.
The top and cable look like the one in my 08 as well. This is on my winter mod list, so I'll compare in a few months.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a Wema Sender, if I remember correctly they switched to this style around 2008. So folks that have this sender will need longer bolts if the go to the Centroid.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking back @justason post below, his 2009 has the same exact Wema as mine, except mine was a 3-wire harness instead of his 2-wire harness. @justason did you need longer bolts for your centroid? And my float style was not accurate either, said I had 3/4 of a tank, filled it up, took I believe 22 gallons.

My fuel sender saga.....Seems I have a black sheep among the series here. (2009 212x)

I started into this project last week. My sender was not like the others here. More important, my wire harness was only a 2 conductor (even tho it terminated in a 3 contact connector
My stock unit is a WEMA 001306 float style....I'm surprised it is as accurate as it is...which it isn't.....

The wires match up to the GND and SEND wires of the connector, the 12v positive in non-existent ?

I'm finishing up a conversation with Centroid engineering now before I cut/splice any wires. but in short all I need to do is bring 12v ignition wires to the unit. As a matter of convenience it would be substantially easier to bring a direct 12v from the house battery. I cant imagine there is threat of draw down here, and the boat is plugged in almost constantly. I'm tracking down an ignition wire inside the engine compartment now too.

View attachment 28238View attachment 28239
tag @waterboy @andy07sx230ho

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking back @justason post below, his 2009 has the same exact Wema as mine, except mine was a 3-wire harness instead of his 2-wire harness. @justason did you need longer bolts for your centroid? And my float style was not accurate either, said I had 3/4 of a tank, filled it up, took I believe 22 gallons.
Hello! Yes i had to buy new longer SS screws for the install. My harness was a 3 pin conn with only 2 wires used. I plugged old/new together . Then spliced and ran a dedicated wire to the ignition. So far so good

I had purchased a new connector pair and have them if anyone is interested.

Also note the bolt pattern is not equal spaces. One is offset to key it

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello! Yes i had to buy new longer SS screws for the install. My harness was a 3 pin conn with only 2 wires used. I plugged old/new together . Then spliced and ran a dedicated wire to the ignition. So far so good

I had purchased a new connector pair and have them if anyone is interested.

Also note the bolt pattern is not equal spaces. One is offset to key it
I also noticed the bolt pattern, scratched my head for a few seconds to get it to line up. Thanks for the quick reply, great thing about this forum is sharing information, especially when some of us have to figure out the stuff and save people time and frustrations down the road Lol.

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2006SX230 has low fuel warning indicator. Is this working with this sender too?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2006SX230 has low fuel warning indicator. Is this working with this sender too?
It should, that part is in the gauge itself. I remember seeing my low fuel light come on when I plugged the sender in while outside of the tank. This reminds me to order a new fuel gauge.

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It should, that part is in the gauge itself. I remember seeing my low fuel light come on when I plugged the sender in while outside of the tank. This reminds me to order a new fuel gauge.
OK. I'm on the way to order new sender.