• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My scarab 215 review

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be wrong, but I know the HO Impulse is heavier than the regular model due to the difference in material used on the seats, tower, speakers, amps, larger engine, and the optional blast equipment. That might be your extra 3".

What is the draft on the 215? I have read specs from Scarab that describe both 12" and 15". Does anyone know the actual draft?, because the dealers and owners seem to read off the spec sheet they are reading at the moment

johnnytan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That must make for two different draft dimensions on the 215. where we boat there is a 19" deep speed bump between waterways.. makes for a fairly large jet-set on our lake. When I bought it I only saw the 12" measurement. Our Sea doo clears the bump at all water levels, hopefully the Scarab will as well

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@johnnytan You should be ok as long as your not under plane speed, or just go slow. be careful the Scarab's depth finder is not to accurate under speed conditions. It cannot keep up as an aftermarket unit. I would get a gps/chart plotter to help you navigate through the shallows.

KellanAshby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey all, new to the forum as I'm just now in the market and the 215 has my eye. Appreciate the review @Frogboy!

I've got 2 good deals staring me in the face - a 215 and a 215 HO, with a $10,000 price difference. Trying to figure out if it's really worth it. From what I've heard and read, the HO gets another 5 MPH or so, but that is the only major difference and the standard 215 will still hit close to 50 (which is plenty fast for the lakes around here). Anyone know? Am I missing out on a lot more than just high end speed without the HO?

Also, did anyone ever get a feel for how this thing handles in the chop?

The ups and downs of being a northener - great prices on boats in February, but you can't test 'em.

Thanks much!

Mchamilton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I’m abt to purchase a 2014 Scarab HO Impulse with 68 hours. When I get to the dealer today and he fires it up immediately I see a check engine light. We start out then shut off the boat and refire, again check engine light for starboard motor. He says this is the first time that the light has come on? I’ve owned a seadoo 180 for 5 years so my throttle was much different. When we were idling out the shifter kept returning itself to neutral? He says it’s normal? Also I know how my other boat sounded, but this one when accelerating seemed to have a grinding sound almost like the linkage or something? Any help would be appreciated

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If there is a engine light that is coming on and it's making a grinding sound I would say that's probably a few reasons why it was traded in to begin with.

Nate Robertson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I purchased a scarab 195 HO impulse. Test in on the Lake ran perfect(78 hours) 1 year ago. When I got it Home I started it and that light came on. I was worried but when I got it on the water it was fine. Every once in awhile if I start the boat in my garage It would give me the check engine light. I think the light pops on because it doesn’t feel like it’s running properly (because it’s not, it’s not in water) or it could be the battery.
I’d still never buy a boat or jet ski without water testing first.
But don’t let the light fool you, If it’s running out of water.
I now have close to 100 hours and not a problem.
The only question I would have is when do you do the 1st supercharge rebuild?

But the grinding noise is something that could be concerning. You HAVE to water test it before purchase.

Mchamilton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We were in the water when the light came on. I know for a fact you can do serious damage to these boats if you have it running out of the water, even if you have a line hooked up to it you’re not supposed to let it run longer than 90 seconds. I however did not purchase the boat, too many warning signs. I’m the proud new owner of a ‘14 Yamaha 242 limited S

Nate Robertson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We were in the water when the light came on. I know for a fact you can do serious damage to these boats if you have it running out of the water, even if you have a line hooked up to it you’re not supposed to let it run longer than 90 seconds. I however did not purchase the boat, too many warning signs. I’m the proud new owner of a ‘14 Yamaha 242 limited S
90 seconds. Iv never even pushed mine to 30 seconds.

Congrats on the new boat!