• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My take on Fins

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we have all read the countless threads on to fin or not fin. Vectors vs Cobras, and now I am adding my two cents worth. We have had our AR195 for a year now and have had Thrust Vectors since new. I always liked the low-speed handling with them, and not ever having a stern drive boat had nothing to compare too so I had no issues. This year I noticed that I really was looking for more "bite" or control when pulling tubes because I didn't feel like I could ever turn tight enough to make the tube swing or do the large figure eights I see other style boats doing.

So I went looking and decided to try Cobrajet Viper fins. Spent the day on the water Saturday with the thrust vectors. Came home that evening and removed them and placed the Vipers on. Quick install of no more than 30 minutes. Headed out yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Slow speed handling was just as good as the vectors, but the highspeed maneuverability with the vipers is unreal. I am in no way slamming the thrust vectors because they did exactly what they were intended to do at slow speed. But the overall boating experience with the Cobras is a thousand times better for me. If you are on the fence and are wondering if there is a difference between the two products be advised there is. Depending on your needs and how you want the boat to perform at speed is your call. I lost no top speed, the fins don't hang below the keel, and the power steering effect is amazing. I don't have a dog in this fight and have no problems with either company. Just wanted you guys/gals to hear what I experienced. Hopefully it helps someone who was in the same spot as me.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been saying this for years.
The difference that CObras (I have used Ultimates, not Vipers) make in 19ft boats at speed, especially when handling watersports of any kind, is just unreal.

Anyone who says otherwise must have been doing something different.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing your opinion, I think you summed it up best "depending on your needs and how you want the boat to operate",

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Im gonna switch from the vectors to the cobras next summer. My dealer had the vectors in stock and recommended I use them before.gojmg out for even the first time. So I did, I installed them in about 10 min and low speed steering has been a breeze. But I'd like better high speed steering for sure as I like to cruise over 45.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you @kyle I appreciate the feedback on your purchase. I make a variety of steering systems for Yamaha jet boats Ultimates that are adjustable and spring loaded those can be set to rise up at speed if you wish or stay down at speed and they are compatible to all Yamaha jet boats except the twin engine A K models however I am planning a release of the A K ULTIMATES with all the features and options of the original ultimates very soon. the magnum A K and the ultimate A K systems will also be compatible with the MEGA FANG PLUS also soon to be released as well as the lateral thrusters if this is your preference. I make three versions of the viper for the 19 foot Yamaha jet boats both with and without the factory rudder as well as Ultimates for those boats I have the magnum system that is also compatible with the 19 foot boats or the twin engine non A K boats , these are compatible with the mega fang plus also and if you use an alternate side force stabilizer you can also add in the lateral thrusters for your Ultimate or magnum systems. Remember I always focus on making systems that have a variety of features and benefits that are affordable to meet the needs of most jet boat owners and their personal boating style, even if those needs change from time to time . Making patented jet boat and pwc steering since 2001.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What would you recommend for a 2018 AR195
Thank you @kyle I appreciate the feedback on your purchase. I make a variety of steering systems for Yamaha jet boats Ultimates that are adjustable and spring loaded those can be set to rise up at speed if you wish or stay down at speed and they are compatible to all Yamaha jet boats except the twin engine A K models however I am planning a release of the A K ULTIMATES with all the features and options of the original ultimates very soon. the magnum A K and the ultimate A K systems will also be compatible with the MEGA FANG PLUS also soon to be released as well as the lateral thrusters if this is your preference. I make three versions of the viper for the 19 foot Yamaha jet boats both with and without the factory rudder as well as Ultimates for those boats I have the magnum system that is also compatible with the 19 foot boats or the twin engine non A K boats , these are compatible with the mega fang plus also and if you use an alternate side force stabilizer you can also add in the lateral thrusters for your Ultimate or magnum systems. Remember I always focus on making systems that have a variety of features and benefits that are affordable to meet the needs of most jet boat owners and their personal boating style, even if those needs change from time to time . Making patented jet boat and pwc steering since 2001.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What would you recommend for a 2018 AR195
If your primary use of the boat is for wake surfing, I would think the Ultimates would be a safe choice. The Vipers incorporate a bit of a trim tab functionality - great for cruising but may not help your wave generation.

My 0.02

--

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered Thust Vectors last week and am taking the Cobras off that came with my boat. Has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the people behind the company.

Last edited:

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I ordered Thust Vectors last week and am taking the Cobras off that came with my boat. Has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the people behind company.
What cobras do you have? If they will fit my 195 are you willing to sell them?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the originals.

Won’t let me load a pic but these are the ones I have: https://goo.gl/images/b4LNTq

And sure if you’re interested I’m sure we can work out something.

Last edited:

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the original cobras on my 2010 240 , I like them !! Especially when surfing !! It keeps it locked when running straight !!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
+2 for the original cobras....corners...like it’s on rails.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Will the originals fit the 2018 single jets?

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we have all read the countless threads on to fin or not fin. Vectors vs Cobras, and now I am adding my two cents worth. We have had our AR195 for a year now and have had Thrust Vectors since new. I always liked the low-speed handling with them, and not ever having a stern drive boat had nothing to compare too so I had no issues. This year I noticed that I really was looking for more "bite" or control when pulling tubes because I didn't feel like I could ever turn tight enough to make the tube swing or do the large figure eights I see other style boats doing.

So I went looking and decided to try Cobrajet Viper fins. Spent the day on the water Saturday with the thrust vectors. Came home that evening and removed them and placed the Vipers on. Quick install of no more than 30 minutes. Headed out yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Slow speed handling was just as good as the vectors, but the highspeed maneuverability with the vipers is unreal. I am in no way slamming the thrust vectors because they did exactly what they were intended to do at slow speed. But the overall boating experience with the Cobras is a thousand times better for me. If you are on the fence and are wondering if there is a difference between the two products be advised there is. Depending on your needs and how you want the boat to perform at speed is your call. I lost no top speed, the fins don't hang below the keel, and the power steering effect is amazing. I don't have a dog in this fight and have no problems with either company. Just wanted you guys/gals to hear what I experienced. Hopefully it helps someone who was in the same spot as me.
I never tried the Vectors, but your experience with CJS Vipers mirror mine. I really like how heavy the steering feels at speed and the self centering effect. I have noticed that the boat rides smoother over chop because the "trim tab" effect as well.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im gonna switch from the vectors to the cobras next summer. My dealer had the vectors in stock and recommended I use them before.gojmg out for even the first time. So I did, I installed them in about 10 min and low speed steering has been a breeze. But I'd like better high speed steering for sure as I like to cruise over 45.
You will wonder what took you so long. Cruising yesterday in the upper 40's and we were tracking like we were on rails. I have never been able to take a hard right or left turn and get the boat to do much but scrub off speed. Now it will literally throw you from your seat. You have to be careful. Its amazing

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
You will wonder what took you so long. Cruising yesterday in the upper 40's and we were tracking like we were on rails. I have never been able to take a hard right or left turn and get the boat to do much but scrub off speed. Now it will literally throw you from your seat. You have to be careful. Its amazing
What style do you have?