• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My take on Fins

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This debate again. Here we go lol. Never used TV but like you having control at speed was something I desired more. The good thing is there is 2 products for people to decide on. Either way I'm sure most are satisfied. I know I am.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing is, I really think people need to learn the way these boats drive for while without any enhancements. Once that is accomplished, the difference is noticeable and makes you a better captain. I feel I'm able to control my craft way better now even after adding the fins just because I operated it the first season without any enhancements.

Another big thing I've found lately was in how to adjust the fins correctly. Without looking at this forum and seeing all the great posts, I was lost. One main issue was the pulling of my boat at high speeds. After reading @Mainah report on Auto controller for the trim tabs, I investigated things little more with the controls. What I came to find in my opinion that it was not that the tabs or auto controller that really made the boat pull rather the fins were not set up correctly for me. Like @Cobra Jet Steering LLC keeps stating you really have to readjust the starboard side to be more towed in and even the port side. Once I figured all this out, wow, I actually go very straight when I take my hand of the wheel. Before the adjustment, it was always pulling right. Now I do have to admit, with the auto controller, sometimes when it does deploy one side more than the other, that can affect turns. You just have to be conscious of that and adjust as you go. I still leave it mostly on Auto but when I do have many folks with me, I don't like it adjusting that much for me. But all in all make sure you have the fins and tie rods adjusted correctly. I couldn't understand how to measure it so I spent hours testing the steering control and tie rods to make sure everything was straight. Now it's all good!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The older style steering I made for years were built to bolt on to the original style nozzles. They provided steering control for all speeds, they were not adjustable or spring loaded but those are still doing their job year after year with no problem and people still like the way the boats handle at top end, the old jet boat feel is a thing of the past people want utility and filmy boats for fishing and water sports or just cruising without the insecure feeling of loosing control if you decelerate in a turn or getting pushed around in heavy traffic boat wake areas. Obviously the newer style systems offer adjustability for fine tuning the effect and making these more versatile so they can be used on various size boats without the one size fits all get what you get concept of older style systems and with the larger variety of boats out there this is more important now that ever before. I even build model specific systems like the viper or A K systems to deal directly with their particular needs. And for a couple years I have been offering upgrades to handle reverse control and reverse power increases along with resistance reduction and steering enhancement features of the fangs/ mega fangs and soon the mega fang plus version . These upgrades can be added to most of my systems for Yamaha jet boats or in some cases they are already incorporated in them. It is a different jet boat world out there compared to when I had one But I wanted the utility and handling plus the convenience for others to drive without having issues so I invented steering and never looked back. Now I do things with P W C's that I seriously doubt I could do without my steering on them. And honestly I would NEVER own a
P W C if it did not have my steering system.

Lake_Spray

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we have all read the countless threads on to fin or not fin. Vectors vs Cobras, and now I am adding my two cents worth. We have had our AR195 for a year now and have had Thrust Vectors since new. I always liked the low-speed handling with them, and not ever having a stern drive boat had nothing to compare too so I had no issues. This year I noticed that I really was looking for more "bite" or control when pulling tubes because I didn't feel like I could ever turn tight enough to make the tube swing or do the large figure eights I see other style boats doing.

So I went looking and decided to try Cobrajet Viper fins. Spent the day on the water Saturday with the thrust vectors. Came home that evening and removed them and placed the Vipers on. Quick install of no more than 30 minutes. Headed out yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Slow speed handling was just as good as the vectors, but the highspeed maneuverability with the vipers is unreal. I am in no way slamming the thrust vectors because they did exactly what they were intended to do at slow speed. But the overall boating experience with the Cobras is a thousand times better for me. If you are on the fence and are wondering if there is a difference between the two products be advised there is. Depending on your needs and how you want the boat to perform at speed is your call. I lost no top speed, the fins don't hang below the keel, and the power steering effect is amazing. I don't have a dog in this fight and have no problems with either company. Just wanted you guys/gals to hear what I experienced. Hopefully it helps someone who was in the same spot as me.
I've had almost this exact post floating about in my head for a couple weeks now. I had Thrust Vectors on my 190 last season (first season owning the boat) and took them off this season and put on Cobra Vipers. My experience mirrors yours. I'm going to stick with the CJS Vipers as they fit my needs better. I'm pulling someone on something 90% of the time my boat is in the water and I like the Vipers much better for that circumstance. I have a set of used TV fins to post for sale now I guess. I also have a Lateral Thruster, never used, sitting on my garage shelf. Despite being pretty mechanically inclined I couldn't get it to fit per instructions and gave up when I realized a bunch of disassembly would be required to get it to fit. That was the point I switched over to the Cobras.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To those of you who have had both sets.

I have a '15 242LS, with the articulating keel, and am looking for more control in no-wake mode and when docking. I boat in the intercoastal waterway and continuously deal with currents/tides that whoop my a** when not at full throttle.

Which design(s) of steering improvement would you suggest?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To those of you who have had both sets.

I have a '15 242LS, with the articulating keel, and am looking for more control in no-wake mode and when docking. I boat in the intercoastal waterway and continuously deal with currents/tides that whoop my a** when not at full throttle.

Which design(s) of steering improvement would you suggest?
CF all the way lol. But hard for me to say as I've never used it on any other boat but the AR240. So I can only speak for 24'. I'm sure there is no different effect with the 242 series. As most say, both systems will give you great control in no wake mode but CF gives you the versatility to use it fully deployed, med, or low. Fully deployed helps dig in so you can make sharper turns.

IMO for no wake mode I would recommend getting the tabs to help things more there and in all modes. The more level the boat is to plane, the more control you get.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would recommend getting the tabs
Are there "tabs" on the Cobra Fins?
Or are you talking about installing Lenco tabs on the boat to steady the ride?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Letro trim tabs. But thinking about it you should be planed out at no wake speed. Around 8 to 10 mph and above is where the tabs start becoming a great benefit.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Finally received a call today telling me I should have my new redesigned MEGA FANG PLUS systems tomorrow.
Well I have heard that before, like yesterday as a matter of fact. But one can only hope.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And finally I have the new Mega Fang Plus, These will now replace the mega fangs just as the mega fangs replaced the original fangs.
Prices will remain the same, no change there.
These will be compatible with the Ultimate, the Magnum plus ,the Magnum A K system as well as the soon to be released Ultimate A K steering system as well as the viper N K and N K 2.
The mega fang plus was redesigned to add even more influence in all areas , slow speed, high speed, off power , reverse. also the power steering effect was kicked up a notch for good measure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Unfortunately they won't work on your boat , but the viper and the ultimate systems do.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

It looks like you definitely got your moneys worth out of that old set , You must have had those for 10 years or so, I haven't made that older style for a long time. But you certainly took good care of them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can't believe how well you took care of them , they really look like new and I can't even tell you how long ago I stopped making that style.
People still ask for those occasionally so if you offer them for sale someone will take you up on it. I still have the old install files so if you do sell those I can email the install file to you if you need it.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff, yeah again they treated me very well, never had a single issue with them at all and as advertised dramatically helped with the steeering.

If someone wants them, I kept all the hardware.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Very good maybe you should put them on the for sale section of this web page. Those are in excellent condition.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally received a call today telling me I should have my new redesigned MEGA FANG PLUS systems tomorrow.
Well I have heard that before, like yesterday as a matter of fact. But one can only hope.
How's this compared to the mega fangs now that we have on the AK systems?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And finally I have the new Mega Fang Plus, These will now replace the mega fangs just as the mega fangs replaced the original fangs.
Prices will remain the same, no change there.
These will be compatible with the Ultimate, the Magnum plus ,the Magnum A K system as well as the soon to be released Ultimate A K steering system as well as the viper N K and N K 2.
The mega fang plus was redesigned to add even more influence in all areas , slow speed, high speed, off power , reverse. also the power steering effect was kicked up a notch for good measure.
When do the new AK system come out too? Trying to hold off til all the newest bad boys are released before I pull the trigger. Just got the mega fangs less than 6 months ago I think lol. Also are these new hardware bigger?