1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Winter Project

Discussion in 'Jet Skis' started by itsdgm, Dec 3, 2017.

1. itsdgm

itsdgm Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    The next step with the trailer is to inspect the bearings. I plan on looking at the springs, cleaning things up and replacing the inner seals while I’m at it.

After pulling of the wheels it was more clear what I was up against. I’ve never owned a trailer that been in salt water before and I think things were better than expected. Sure there was a lot of surface rust and some was even flaking off. But structurally, everything seemed strong.

After removing the bearing buddies I could see a lot of grease. It was a bit more liquified that I’d want but there was no water intrusion at all. I was happy to find that somebody had packed it full at one point.

The hubs, bearings and races all looked good. So I simply removed the inner seals, repacked the bearings, cleaned everything up with a wire wheel, repainted, reinstalled bearings and new seals and put things back together.

The bearing buddies however were packed on the outside with grease that had been heavily contaminated with sand. I tore those down too and cleaned them up prior to reinstalling them. Then I added bearing buddy bras/dust covers to keep the dirt and debris out.

I also cleaned up the rims and repainted them with a galvanized paint. I do plan on replacing the rims and tires down the road if I’m going to keep this for any length of time. I don’t want to be towing this trailer through the desert with these old tires.

I did get a chance to adjust the bow stop too. Now it lines up perfectly with the WaveRunner.

So, the only things left to do with the trailer are replacing the swivel jack and figuring out tie down strap. But I should be able to scrounge up something that’ll work in the meantime to secure the ski.

At this point, I could probably make my way to the water and run this thing. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
  2. buckbuck

buckbuck Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,456 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    I have never seen the device you used to pack the bearings. Where did you get it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scottintexas

Scottintexas Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 32
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
  4. Jgorm

Jgorm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +158 / 11
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Awesome work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. itsdgm

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
  6. Ronnie

Ronnie Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 39
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Both of those bearing packers are cool but don’t see a lot of benefit over just putting the whole bearing into the can of grease and the pressing the grease into it with my gloved hands. Am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Scottintexas

Scottintexas Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 32
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    probably not, I had never repacked a bearing before so I bought that, it does work good as you get to see the new grease get pressured through the bearing as you push down on the cap,

That being said I might recommend itsdgm's next time for small jobs as you pump directly into the zerk to the bearing and can easily change types of grease, in mine you load the grease in the bottom and now I've got a bottom full of grease that I have to remove if I want to use a different kind on the next bearing.

8. buckbuck

buckbuck Jetboaters Captain

Ratings:
    +2,456 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Hmmm...I just plop a bunch of grease in my ungloved hand and rock the bearing back and forth. I guess it is time to step into the 90's.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Ronnie

Ronnie Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 39
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Ewww! How uncivilized. JK

@itsdgm , Dennis, we are experiencing sunny and clear skies and record highs here in NCal. If you are experiencing the same in SCal I hope you get the chance to take out the new Waverunner.

10. itsdgm

Ratings:
    +1,881 / 15
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Yeah. Weathers been great. But I’ve been buried at work and haven’t had a chance to get it out yet. To be honest, I know where the launch ramp is at Dana point, but I’ve never launched there before. So I need to look into that too. But I’m getting close.

11. Jgorm

Jgorm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +158 / 11
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    There is a real nice ramp by where the boats go to Catalina.

• Agree Agree x 1