• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NC/Mid Atlantic Gathering in 2015?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those with towers or tall structures on their boat, there are two train trestles that we have go under while on the river. The first one is just east of the lock and should not be a problem for anyone, however the second trestle could be an issue at high tide. Here is a link that @robert843 and I found out describing the second trestle, http://www.santeecoopercountry.org/lakeinformation/lockstrawberrybridge.html and numbers to call. I also looked at the tide charts for around the second trestle and we will be going through a couple hours after high tide, so we all should be good.

I have already called the lock master and it being a weekend that we will be going through the lock they said it won't be necessary to call before we arrive.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That option sounds good, we would save about $100 per room. I don't know which hotel you were thinking of but the Holiday Inn Express by the airport is nice and reasonably priced, http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?roomInfoList[0].numberOfAdults=2&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first&dd=05/17/15&roomInfoList[0].numberOfChildren=0&rl=CITY:1485499:UNKNOWN:UNKNOWN&did=1485499&numberOfRooms=1&tab=description&dn=North Charleston, South Carolina, United States of America&hotelId=390839&cd=05/16/15 We are open to any hotels this was just a thought.

As for which marina, I could see the Cooper River Marina being a good choice if the Charleston Harbor around the Battery is rough otherwise any of the three would work.
Yeah that hotel is fine I have stayed there before. I called they do have a shuttle van. They would not be able to pick us up from the marina as its just outside of their 5 mile range but I bet we could work out drop off the next day with the driver. They would be willing to drop us off at a local spots for dinner and stuff that night. I'm sure $100 saved is worth the probable $10 cab ride.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah that hotel is fine I have stayed there before. I called they do have a shuttle van. They would not be able to pick us up from the marina as its just outside of their 5 mile range but I bet we could work out drop off the next day with the driver. They would be willing to drop us off at a local spots for dinner and stuff that night. I'm sure $100 saved is worth the probable $10 cab ride.
@robert843 I'm open to any hotel that is reasonable, the Holiday Inn Express just happened to be the one I saw at a good price and I knew was nice.

The wife just informed me that she might want to stay at the La Quinta so we can walk to California Dream, one of our favorite restaurants and it is where we had our first dinner date. Right now I'm trying to get another couple to join us which they probably will, then hopefully they will be able to convince my wife to stay somewhere more reasonably priced.

Last yesterday I received a call back from the bridge master at the Strawberry CSX train trestle. He confirmed that except for at high tide a boat that needs 10' of clearance should make it under. He said that on the weekends 3-4 hours of notice is typically sufficient not the posted 6 hours to get someone there to open the trestle.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 With help from friends that are joining us on the Cooper River boat run, the wife has agreed to stay somewhere more reasonably priced. I looked again this morning and the Holiday Inn Express seems to be the best price with good quality, http://www.hotels.com/hotel/details.html?roomInfoList[0].numberOfAdults=2&previousDateful=false&reviewOrder=date_newest_first&dd=05/17/15&roomInfoList[0].numberOfChildren=0&rl=CITY:1485499:UNKNOWN:UNKNOWN&did=1485499&numberOfRooms=1&tab=description&dn=North+Charleston,+South+Carolina,+United+States+of+America&hotelId=390839&cd=05/16/15

I looks like we are going to launch from Rocks Pond campground, http://www.rockspondcampground.com/ , they charge $5 to launch which includes overnight parking for truck/trailer. Rocks Pond is located at the far east end of Lake Marion just before the lake connects to the diversion canal. Rocks Pond is 18 miles east of I-95 which should be convenient enough for those traveling I-95.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are folks arriving Saturday morning to launch or anyone spending Friday night someplace prior to launch? I'm game for this, and with a 4+ hour drive plan to arrive Friday evening (someplace)......trying to keep up with the details.......has a Saturday night sleep spot been determined or still in flux....?

(for some reason i don't get alerts anymore on threads)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are folks arriving Saturday morning to launch or anyone spending Friday night someplace prior to launch? I'm game for this, and with a 4+ hour drive plan to arrive Friday evening (someplace)......trying to keep up with the details.......has a Saturday night sleep spot been determined or still in flux....?

(for some reason i don't get alerts anymore on threads)
@justason for @robert843 and me we are lucky enough to be only 2 hours from the launch spot so at least I will be spending Friday night at my house and I'm guessing @robert843 will too. At exit 98 off I-95 (HW 301 exit) there are 3 hotels, Best Western, Hampton Inn, and Holiday Inn that will work for a Friday night stay.

As for the Saturday night spot, nothing has been definitively set in stone but it is highly likely we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express by the airport. I'm open to other ideas, the Holiday Inn Express just happens to be the hotel that to me is the best value.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it the 3 of us so far ? Not to make "work" of it, but can we edit your thread (2nd input on page 1) to summarize.......peoples and plan.....

...and who's making charleston T-Shirts !!????!?!?!?!?:):)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it the 3 of us so far ? Not to make "work" of it, but can we edit your thread (2nd input on page 1) to summarize.......peoples and plan.....

...and who's making charleston T-Shirts !!????!?!?!?!?:):)
I'm open to Charleston shirts as long as some else gets them done. :woot:

I was wondering this morning if it won't be better to have this trip in it own thread. Having this trip in a generic 2015 NC/Mid Atlantic Gathering thread might be confusing when other trips get planned. So I will start another thread with the details of this trip and I will try to list everyone in the thread that has shown interest to direct them over to the new thread.

Right now I know of 3 from here going (you,@robert843 , and me) and 1 possible. I'm not sure how big @robert843 group is but there will be a couple of boats/pwcs in his flotilla.

Fergiej

Reaction score
Boat Make
Key West
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know about how long it would take to get from the Rocks Pond campground in Eutawville, SC to California Dreaming in Charleston SC by boat?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
5 to 6 hours, depends on how fast you get through the lock. If you arrive at the lock just as the lake Moultrie doors closes it could be almost an hour before you get through.

Fergiej

Reaction score
Boat Make
Key West
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you so much for the reply. We are going for the first time tomorrow.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you so much for the reply. We are going for the first time tomorrow.
Enjoy! I believe the lock stops working at 6 pm, ask the lock operator when you go through to make sure.