• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help - Lots of water draining from plug on '17 212X

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes over 20 years jet boating on salt water with annual lake runs in Vermont and upstate NY . Leaking water is not to bad but the way the water pours down on everything from the clean out tray bothered me.

Book'm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thank you all the great information on this thread.
I have a 2017 212X.
I had several gallons draining from the drain plug after use and the bilge would go off frequently. With the boat parked on an include in the driveway, with the drain plug in, I used the garden hose an put water in the boat, next to the bilge in the engine compartment (this is the process used by the repair shops), no water dripped from the boat. This determined it was not a problem with some seals. I pulled the plug and drained the water out. With the drain plug out, I put water on the plug clean out tray, water came out of the drain hole. I put silicone around the edges of the clean out tray and over all the screws. Water problem solved. (Yamaha should have designed the drain from the clean out port tray to be lower)

Front anchor drain hole- this area is also a problem (Yamaha should not have drilled this hole in the boat), I just used flex tab over the bow to cover the front anchor drain hole which has solved the problem. I just use a towel to every once in a while to soak up a small amount of water from the anchor after use.

Cup holders - (Yamaha has the cup holders draining the to storage compartments) I plugged all the cup holders with flex tab. My storage compartment are dry.

With the wake booster, we are able to wake surf!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
this part was installed and it works prefect when loaded with ballast and surfing no water would back fill the clean out tray .
I just want to understand, you are saying that water is backfilling from the small drain on the transom to the clean out tray area?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes especially when loaded with ballast or a lot of stop and go from water sports . Did you ever have water on the clean out plugs ? That’s the culprit a lot of the water weeps through the clean out tray and the inspection port and when you pull the drain plug everyone is questioning why so much water comes out this is the most prolific cause . Second is the anchor locker, third is the rub rail fourth are the rear cleats, while loaded with ballast fifth is rain water coming in from the cover by the tower.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting. I did add the riser from @JetBoatPilot on the clean out tray and that seemed to help a lot. I just didn’t think that much water would get in through that small hose. I will add the valve thing and see it that works. Thanks!

Mikeytodd212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted about this issue, but I continue to experience a high amount of water draining from the plug on my 2017 212X when it's pulled from the water after a day on the water. The boat has been to the dealer 2 times now and they've (1) resealed the stern rub rail and (2) replaced the exhaust gaskets. Each time, they've filled the hull with water from a garden hose to look for leaks on the trailer and addressed accordingly. Additionally, they've run the boat in water a bit and then left it overnight in a slip to see how much water comes out. Each time I get the boat back they tell me a gallon or so is normal and there's nothing to worry about, but I think I'm getting way more than a gallon to drain from the plug.

When we're on the water, I leave the bilge on "Auto" and have observed it cycling water overboard at times when the boat is weighed down with 8 passengers. I haven't observed this issue while it's just my family of 4 aboard. The amount of water we get has no bearing on whether we're swimming or not. The water is not coming from the deck/passengers!

Next chance I get, I plan to video the hull draining into a 5 gallon bucket to measure how much is coming out and provide this video to the dealer/Yamaha as evidence. It was my plans this last weekend, but it rained on us like crazy Saturday.

This is my 3rd runabout and I've never experienced this issue before. My other 2 boats were I/Os and I'd hardly get more than 1/4 cup of water from either one, even when they were left in the water all weekend at our dock with our houseboat.

I told the mechanic I feel like it's leaking from the shaft seals, if he can't get it to leak during a static leak test. Mechanic said that's highly unlikely, but I fail to understand his reasoning.

How much water do you guys get from your hull when you pull the plug?
[/QUOT

I tried to upload a video but it is too big. I have a 14 212x and can figure out where the water is coming from either. When I took the plug out it ran for more that 3 minutes. If I take the plug out of the ski locker it pushes up through the ski locker. Dealer tested andsaid it was coming from drain plug and ballast line but that is not correct because it doesn’t come out to the bilge unless I raise the front of the boat up. Does yours push up from the ski locker likeit is all in the front of the hull if you are just floating?

Tfam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have the same boat as you so I'll just throw this out there as a possibility cause it was what was causing my water in the bilge issue.
What was happening was when I stopped the wall of water hitting the back of the boat was force water up the clean out tray drain. This filled the clean out tray with water which normally is no big deal as it just fills the clean out holes and the the rest drains back out. The issue was the sealing around the the clean out tray panel (the one with all the screws around it). It was a piss poor sealing job. I uninstalled that panel, scraped all the inadequate old silicone off and re-sealed it. I also put some silicone around the clean out tubes before I re-installed the panel. No more excessive water in the bilge.
What kind of sealant did you use or recommend?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its not just the tray its the inspection hatch to the bilge as well . Put a cork in the drain hole and fill it with hose water and you will be amazed how fast the water runs into the bilge.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What kind of sealant did you use or recommend?
Shouldn't really matter - any 100% silicone from your local home improvement store would work fine.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used neoprene gasket material on both the large tray and the inspection port with additional screws its 99% water tight maybe even 100% . If I plug the drain hole and fill it the tray and clean out tubes water no water comes out the drain hole by the keel.

I dint want to deal with cleaning silicone re applying

It shows not available but maybe there is something similar this was from my purchase history my bilge has been dry since 2019. Only a little water trickles out and I think its rain water.