• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help - Lots of water draining from plug on '17 212X

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Seems like that much water would be from more than a little silicone missing from one screw in a fitting... But worth a look, I suppose. I agree with @Gym that the drive shaft seals are suspect at this point. If I am reading correctly, it leaks when running but probably not as much when not.

Yamaha's seem to be very hit or miss on this point. We have had people who have had to hunt and seal multiple leaks and others (like me) for whom it is basically bone dry right from the factory.

On the rear tray thingy: I removed the silicone and replaced it with a thin weatherstripping. I remove it too often to always mess with the silicone. No regrets.
Not "one screw in a fitting". They basically missed the entire one side of the clean out tray with the silicone bead leaving a crack the length of the clean out tray. But agreed, I didn't have the "more than a gallon" scenario going on.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did the rear tray as well with a rubber seal.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MidnightRider , I was not referring to your post in the 'one screw' scenario, but rather @sunbyrned 's post re: the silicone on the screw on the drive shaft plate.

But we are agreed: this is a lot of water. It is coming from someplace substantial...

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@MidnightRider , I was not referring to your post in the 'one screw' scenario, but rather @sunbyrned 's post re: the silicone on the screw on the drive shaft plate.
But we are agreed: this is a lot of water. It is coming from someplace substantial...
Mine is a long shot for sure. If they didn’t silicone any of the screws though, you’re looking at six potential areas.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is a long shot for sure. If they didn’t silicone any of the screws though, you’re looking at six potential areas.
One more thing... you don’t have to pull the pumps to check. You can feel them through the clean out ports.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would suggest you revisit the anchor locker drain. I know you said the locker is dry but can you confirm that no water is entering the space between the inner and outer hull?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does anyone have a link to cork that fits the drain?

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I need to do some looking into the anchor locker drain myself. I don't really even understand why it is there really. Maybe I can put a drain plug in from inside the anchor locker?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Tms1224

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Video: Mystery leak in 2017 212X

Recorded this video Saturday after I pulled the boat out from 1/2 day on the water. This time, I was finally able to measure the amount of water that came out of the hull - 5+ gallons! This crap CAN'T be normal.

I’m original owner. I’ve had this boat to my dealer 2 times to fix this issue with no resolution yet. So far, they identified leaks around the exhaust through-hull gaskets and leaks along the swim platform rub rails. Both were “fixed” yet I continue getting a large amount of water from the drain plug after day trips to the lake.

I put a rubber seal around the access panel by the clean out ports already, but it made no difference. I’m thinking it’s leaking from the shaft seals because dealer will leave it in water overnight and says there’s hardly any water the next morning. I told them it seems to occur while boat is underway, - shaft seals - but dealer says it’s impossible. I don’t understand why though.

Any ideas what else this could be? Boat is under warranty still. It’s at the dealer for the 3rd time now for this issue. If they can’t fix it this time, can I lemon law this thing? If I witnessed this from a used boat I was considering buying, I’d run! This is my concern going forward, as well as having to repair it outside of warranty terms.
I saw in your response to somebody asking you about the anchor locker. You said you sealed it . Where did you seal it ? Did you seal it near daylight or close to the storage side of the locker ? The reason I ask is I plugged mine at the daylight side and it has seamed to help with my water issue . Looking down the hole you can see a seam where the hulls meet .

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw in your response to somebody asking you about the anchor locker. You said you sealed it . Where did you seal it ? Did you seal it near daylight or close to the storage side of the locker ?
I pumped the whole tube full of caulking and made it flush with the outer edge on the water-side of the opening. This had no impact on the water in the hull, so it's not the problem. I found the problem with plugging the anchor locker drain is it became 1/2-filled with rain water when I got caught in a rain storm, so I pulled the caulking back out to let it drain. On the way home yesterday, I bought some of the Attwood bailer 1/2" ID bailer plugs to seal it off - they're kind of like wine bottle plugs, but smaller. The anchor locker drain is a piss poor design. Coming off plane, the bow sets down in the water and drain goes below the waterline, filling the anchor locker with water.

Tms1224

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I pumped the whole tube full of caulking and made it flush with the outer edge on the water-side of the opening. This had no impact on the water in the hull, so it's not the problem. I found the problem with plugging the anchor locker drain is it became 1/2-filled with rain water when I got caught in a rain storm, so I pulled the caulking back out to let it drain. On the way home yesterday, I bought some of the Attwood bailer 1/2" ID bailer plugs to seal it off - they're kind of like wine bottle plugs, but smaller. The anchor locker drain is a piss poor design. Coming off plane, the bow sets down in the water and drain goes below the waterline, filling the anchor locker with water.
Ya I have the same plugs .. didn’t think it would stay in but it does

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Testing for water intrusion on the 242x a cork was installed in the rear clean out tray then I filled it with water and watched how much poured out. With all the screws and the rubber gasket on the removable tray it looks like it could be water tight but its not even close. As you slow down waves splash up and get under the hatch and water can back flow from the drain, I haven't seen or documented the drain but it looks like it could easily back flow into the tray area. I have some neoprene closed cell self stick foam That I will use on both the tray and removable hatch

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Water does not come over the swim deck. Notice sea deck is usually dry on upper deck. The water comes in the tray from the drain as there is no check valve. Water rushes under the swim deck, goes into the clean out tray drain fitting, flows up the drain hose and back into the tray. Think of it as the same issue as the anchor locker. @2kwik4u did a test on this a long time ago and stuck a GoPro in the clean out hatch to see where water truly comes from.

Last edited:

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Water does not come over the swim deck. Notice sea deck is usually dry on upper deck. The water comes in the tray from the drain as there is no check valve. Water rushes under the swim deck, goes into the clean out tray drain fitting and flows up the drain hose and back into the tray. Think of it as the same issue as the anchor locker. @2kwik4u did a test on this a long time ago and stuck a GoPro in the clean out hatch to see where water truly comes from.
That is really interesting. Has anyone tried installing a check valve in that drain hose instead of the seemingly more difficult effort of trying to remove and then seal up the tray? I will look at the drain hose area today to see if it is easily accessible.

If the check valve idea works, it should also prevent water from filling up the clean out tubes above the plugs.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nah. That would be easy and make sense... :banghead:

Now, why didn't I think of that...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is really interesting. Has anyone tried installing a check valve in that drain hose instead of the seemingly more difficult effort of trying to remove and then seal up the tray? I will look at the drain hose area today to see if it is easily accessible.

If the check valve idea works, it should also prevent water from filling up the clean out tubes above the plugs.
Yup we were all trying to figure out how water gets in there. I tried everything I could to get water on the rear deck and never could, even when driving stupid to try my best lol. Here’s the thread we were discussing it and how he eventually figured out how the cleanout tray gets soaked and how water gets on top of the plugs https://jetboaters.net/threads/2018-ar195-filling-up-with-water.18602/. Page 2 has the details of the water intrusion. I had suggested a GoPro but he ended up removing the clean out hatch and taped down the safety switch.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, I removed the inspection cover on the clean out tray. The hose is right there. Looks like it is a 1/2" or 3/4" ID, reinforced hose, but I didn't pull it off to measure it. Either a check valve, or even a small seacock, could easily be put inline. If more water is coming up the drain than going down, then a seacock might make sense. Either way, it's a cheap experiment, and I will give it a try as time permits.

Jeff

Clean out tray drain hose.jpeg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I removed the inspection cover on the clean out tray. The hose is right there. Looks like it is a 1/2" or 3/4" ID, reinforced hose, but I didn't pull it off to measure it. Either a check valve, or even a small seacock, could easily be put inline. If more water is coming up the drain than going down, then a seacock might make sense. Either way, it's a cheap experiment, and I will give it a try as time permits.

Jeff

View attachment 103102
My drain hose is made of that clear hose with the crosshatch pattern in it. It use to be so long that it was always kinked close. I did shorten it then noticed more water in bilge. So i put a temporary plug in the drain and once again there was very little water in the bilge.
I also pay close attention to how the clean out plugs are seated now. I used to always see a lot of water above them so now when i seat them in, i push hard again and wiggle them, pull on them and once i get zero movement i am satisfied. Now i get zero water above the plugs unless we are dripping water onto the second tier.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another tale-tale sign is if you notice usually the clean out hatch underside will be wet. This is from the water shooting up and out of the drain like a spigot when you come off plane.