• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help with picking Speakers.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Don't forget to look at exileaudio.com. They are comparable to wetsounds.
I would say Exile is a good value at a lower cost than Wetsounds but not at all comparable to Wetsounds at the same cost.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I always knew boss was junk. It's true.. you get what you pay for. I would like to see this test done on a JL amp. Thanks for sharing.
You can bank on the fact that all JL Audio amplifiers exceed specs. It is a JL Audio cultural thing. In fact, JL Audio amplifiers, including the unregulated XD/M series, will typically meet their 14.4 volt rating even with a 12.6 volt supply. PASMAG did an independent review of the XD500/3 and it exceeded its CEA2006 spec by 35%.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Polk MM-651-um may not be the best,20170428_113101.jpg but they are a hell of a lot better than what I had been listening to with the factory speakers.20170428_114420_003.jpgObviously no comparison.

Last edited:

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Guys i went ahead and bought 2 pair of titanium JL MX770's. price was $518 shipped and all for the 4 speakers.
Need to order a sub now. Just gonna match the 7.7's

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Also i am going to order a wire kit.
Any good kits out there. Im going to do one Jl12

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys i went ahead and bought 2 pair of titanium JL MX770's. price was $518 shipped and all for the 4 speakers.
Need to order a sub now. Just gonna match the 7.7's
Sounds like a great deal!

As far as wire, probably best to stay away from kits - those are meant for car installs with grounding to frame (hence a short-er black wire) and usually aluminum clad, which is not the best.
@Mainah has posted some great tips, KnuKonceptz wire is dynamite.

--

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks for all the help my plan is to get it install asap.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guys I bought a Seadoo 230Wake that I am upgrading and need a little help on deciding on the speakers I am going to use. My hole cut out is 6inches. 4 in boat with 4 tower speakers. I will run one 12 inch sub.

I have looked at these.

JL 6.5's and 7.7's I am just not sure on M or MX series to get.

Wetsounds XS65i or XS650 or xs65 So confused... But do like wetsounds

Then I did like the Polk Audio MM651UM

Please if you have any advise I am open to anything. I do not have much of a budget, but want to just have a nice set up.

Yes I have used search but an just confused and would like help. Thanks!!!
With JL - get M series
6.5 nice and sound great,... if ...you are using with 10 or 12 Sub
for Towers.. 2 - JL 880s are better that 4- JL 770.... I have had both options....twice...880s
.... if you are a Hardcore WakeBoarder WETSOUNDS REV10 with throw far... boat do not sound as nice around the swim deck-surf distance.
JL - M800/8 is the the best SINGLE amp for what you are doing , otherwise 2 amps as you see fit with Space, Batteries and wire

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well Thank you. I bought 2 pair of MX770's for the cockpit. So I hope that was a good Idea as most just have there opinion between 6.5 and 7.7's in the cockpit. It was more expensive for sure. Also I need tower speakers.

So to add to my 7.7's I ordered for the cockpit I need a Pair of M880's for the tower?

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well Thank you. I bought 2 pair of MX770's for the cockpit. So I hope that was a good Idea as most just have there opinion between 6.5 and 7.7's in the cockpit. It was more expensive for sure. Also I need tower speakers.

So to add to my 7.7's I ordered for the cockpit I need a Pair of M880's for the tower?
Nice!!
I only suggest 6.5 because you had a 6.5 Hole....easier install...if its not a done deal.. M series 6.5 JL if using a Cockpit sub to assist.
M series sound better and handle a bit more Power...MX sound good to, had them and left them in my 2014 X30
Tower Speakers in general sound thin, so I really lean towards the 880s, along with a cockpit 10" sub (or 12" if you can place it somewhere?)

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yes MX770 already ordered and will be here today. I believe that will be awesome in cockpit with some 880's/
Atleast I hope as I was guided to go with 7.7's/

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With JL - get M series
6.5 nice and sound great,... if ...you are using with 10 or 12 Sub
for Towers.. 2 - JL 880s are better that 4- JL 770.... I have had both options....twice...880s
.... if you are a Hardcore WakeBoarder WETSOUNDS REV10 with throw far... boat do not sound as nice around the swim deck-surf distance.
JL - M800/8 is the the best SINGLE amp for what you are doing , otherwise 2 amps as you see fit with Space, Batteries and wire
@lashburn1 So, would you say the JL 880s be the best (sounding) tower speakers for surfing distances/swim deck? - in your valued opinion.
In any price range really.
Thanks for your great insights here, always enjoy (living vicariously through your posts, lol).

--

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you want to throw any price range inn there than wet sounds is the best tower speakers by a mile.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I swapped out all my cabin speakers for JL's. added to polks to the bow. 2 jl's on the tower. powered by to phosgate 400 amps. was going to add a sub but the boat doesn't seem to need them. get good base coming out of the jl's. plenty of buddies have the wet sounds and they do sound good.

any of these speakers will sound better than stock, but the thing they need most is power. If you don't amp them, you won't get the pop and boom.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@lashburn1 So, would you say the JL 880s be the best (sounding) tower speakers for surfing distances/swim deck? - in your valued opinion.
In any price range really.
Thanks for your great insights here, always enjoy (living vicariously through your posts, lol).

--
I just installed (swapped) my JL 7.7 for 8.8 (880s) in the Tower. 2 - 880s sound Better (warmer) than 4 x 7.7 (770s) I turn them up loudest when Surfing but found I did not need to upgrade from my JL amp that was powering the 7.7s. they will take more power if you need Maximum output.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you want to throw any price range inn there than wet sounds is the best tower speakers by a mile.
this would be True if WakeBoard distances or just the LOUDEST speakers are critical.
I have had Wetsounds REV 10 and 410 in previous boats.
it is just a preference, but for my use, nearfield, WakeSurf and at Anchor distances, JL 880 provide and bette HiFi sound. Closer to a nice car/home stereo.
Wetsounds do serve a purpose for sure... I just prefer the JL sound.
...again..if you need MAX Volume at the furthest distance Wetsounds is your speaker

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just installed (swapped) my JL 7.7 for 8.8 (880s) in the Tower. 2 - 880s sound Better (warmer) than 4 x 7.7 (770s) I turn them up loudest when Surfing but found I did not need to upgrade from my JL amp that was powering the 7.7s. they will take more power if you need Maximum output.
@lashburn1 thanks so much for chiming in - always great to have you comment!
A pair of 880s sounds like a no brainer for what my family needs.
(We are just a bunch of budding surf enthusiasts, lol.)

--

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length