• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need to figure out rear facing speakers

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been contemplating getting some speakers for the tower for awhile. Thought I had my setup figured out, and was just waiting on "budget committee" approval. Finally got approval, and realized I had a flawed plan, need to re-imagine the system and get it done.

Overall goal here is to get sound out of the back of the boat while at anchor and lounging. I don't want to bonk my head, and I don't want to spend a fortune. Would prefer to not cut fiberglass. Tower mount makes most sense to me. I'm 6'2" tall and clearance between my head and the tower is already down to just under 1/2" when standing normally, so placement and size are a concern

Previous plan was a powered WetSounds Sound Bar attached to the "rear" of the tower on my AR190. This was chosen so that I didn't have to worry about bonking my head on the speakers, and I didn't have to wire in a separate amp for the speakers. The sound bar was an excellent choice, or so I thought, as it's about the same thickness as the top tube of the tower, and I wouldn't have to duck to get under it, and it wouldn't protrude above the tower enough to interfere with the bimini top.........I thought it was great until I realized that the stowed bimini occupys that space when strapped to the tower. CRAP, now the sound bar isn't going to work.

Next option is traditional tower speakers. I figured I could mount them on the outside of the tower just under where the bimini passes by the tower. I would have to install a secondary amp to drive these, and I'm not super enthused about that, but it is what it is at this point. The problem with this plan is that I have to fold the tower each and ever time I get the boat into/out of the garage. The side mount speakers must be easily and quickly removeable. I can't find a swing mount, or quick release mount anywhere. They all require tools that I'm sure I would lose/forget in short order.

I could probably survive with a set of standard tower speakers inside the tower pushed all the way to the uppermost/outermost area. I'm still fairly certain I'll bonk my head on a regular basis with those. Especially when I'm helping anyone into/out of the water on the rear of the boat while doing watersports. I don't want any head bonkage if I can avoid it. I really would like to avoid the separate amp as well if I can.

I've seen some others mount "pods" t0 the fiberglass just behind the tower mounts and point those backwards. I'm not enthused about the look of that, and not sure I want to go that route, but I'm running out of other options/thoughts on what to do to get sound back behind the boat. I really thought I had it figured out with the sound bar idea. Dangit.

Anyone have any other thoughts on ways to get sound back there?

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMO, go with traditional tower speakers, they sound great, they look great, mount them towards the far sides of the tower, and as a fellow 6-footer just know that you WILL occasionally bonk your head. ;-)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
IMO, go with traditional tower speakers, they sound great, they look great, mount them towards the far sides of the tower, and as a fellow 6-footer just know that you WILL occasionally bonk your head. ;-)
Agreed.... while I have have speakers on my swimdeck and they are awesome for your needs, they are a bit more exposed to the elements. If I had a tower, that is where the speaker would have went.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know how the layout is on the newer 19' models, but would behind the swim deck seat backs be an option? There are a few people that have done that (use the search to find those posts), but not sure if that's possible on the 19'-ers...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know how the layout is on the newer 19' models, but would behind the swim deck seat backs be an option? There are a few people that have done that (use the search to find those posts), but not sure if that's possible on the 19'-ers...
That is a possibility. The fiberglass exists there, and there is depth behind the fiberglass for speakers to reside. Not sure how that would sound.

I'm off to search/google/find examples

*edit - Putting links to research here for later use*
Here is one example

Here is another example

Here is an example where they weren't happy with behind the seats.

Jim Robertson likes his install behind the seats here

Lots of rear Swim Deck Ideas here

Last edited:

Dietzen34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was in the same situation as you and went with the wetsound sound bar, but my tower is not the forward swept version. I am 6'9" so head room was my main concern and after several months of use it has not been an issue for anyone. I used these clamps to hook it up to the tower, I have the 2015 version tower so it is different than yours and works with the Bimini. This paired with a self powered 10" sub and the system sounds great out the back of the boat. Perfect for the sand bar or out swimming.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in the same situation as you and went with the wetsound sound bar, but my tower is not the forward swept version. I am 6'9" so head room was my main concern and after several months of use it has not been an issue for anyone. I used these clamps to hook it up to the tower, I have the 2015 version tower so it is different than yours and works with the Bimini. This paired with a self powered 10" sub and the system sounds great out the back of the boat. Perfect for the sand bar or out swimming.
Thanks for the input. Which sound bar did you go with? I'm looking at the Wetsounds Stealth Surge 6. I have no idea what the difference is between it and the Stealth Surge 10, but I can't find the 10 for sale anywhere.

How easy do those brackets make the bar to remove? I could easily wire in a quick weatherpack connector, and just remove the bar for storage......IF the clamps make removing the bar easy enough. That might solve the bimini issue since that only occurs when we've got the top folded up and stowed, which for us, is typically only when trailering/storing the boat. If we're lounging in the water, we've got the top deployed 99.9% of the time.

Dietzen34

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I bought this refurbished one. It is the unamplified version. The site does has the amplified version as well. I didn't want to run power and audio cables though the tower. The difference between the 6 and 10 is the number of speakers. I would go with the 10 and in turn the overall width. And yes the clamps make it easily removable. I used this connector and it takes a matter of seconds to take it down. The only modification was to cut down a mounting bolt that came with the soundbar so I could mount it to the clamps.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you get a pair of swivel racks with the tower speakers that will give you an option to push them to the side and adjust the swivel to make them straight.
20180718_154346.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought this refurbished one. It is the unamplified version. The site does has the amplified version as well. I didn't want to run power and audio cables though the tower. The difference between the 6 and 10 is the number of speakers. I would go with the 10 and in turn the overall width. And yes the clamps make it easily removable. I used this connector and it takes a matter of seconds to take it down. The only modification was to cut down a mounting bolt that came with the soundbar so I could mount it to the clamps.
Thanks for the link. Those are the same people that fulfilled my Wetsounds A-Link order. I should've thought to call and talk to them about a refurb unit.

Thanks also for the tips on the clamps. I think that might be the ticket, just remove the bar when bimini is stowed.

Azexplorer2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What about mounting the sound bar vertical on the outside of the tower? put one on each side. And you wouldn't have to do the amp or cut holes. like you were thinking. Just a thought I put in REV10s on the tower and hit once a day but i am learning.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you get a pair of swivel racks with the tower speakers that will give you an option to push them to the side and adjust the swivel to make them straight.
View attachment 79260
That's about how I had them pictured in my head. I like this idea as well. Might have to stand in the boat and have someone take a picture of where my head is then photoshop in the speakers for a virtual fit check

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your open to cutting in speakers in the rear...your be hard pressed to get better sound out of a pair of JL M770s with 200 rms going to each...so like a JL 400/4

Besides that the only reason I got an AR240 was for the tower to hang speakers cuz I knew I wouldnt get max sound without towers....you have your answer if you have a tower....I'm 6'3"...run a pair of JL M880s which I LOVE....do I hit my head...yeah a few times, is it worth it....HELL YEAH!!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your open to cutting in speakers in the rear...your be hard pressed to get better sound out of a pair of JL M770s with 200 rms going to each...so like a JL 400/4
Not sure I have space anywhere on the rear to cut them in. I do not want to cut into the upholstery, and there aren't many other flat spots on the 190's to add a speaker.

Besides that the only reason I got an AR240 was for the tower to hang speakers cuz I knew I wouldnt get max sound without towers....you have your answer if you have a tower....I'm 6'3"...run a pair of JL M880s which I LOVE....do I hit my head...yeah a few times, is it worth it....HELL YEAH!!!!
Holy balls, those M880's in tower form are $1k worth of speakers and the JL 400/4 is a $500 amp. I'm sure they sound awesome, but that's a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

Guess I should've added budget to the original post. Just looking to get some sound on the water behind the boat, don't need super high quality sound reproduction, but do want the setup to last for many years to come. $700-ish or below is where I'd like to be on budget.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I know those 190s are a tad shorter on the back end, but dont let a little upholstery stop you. Just not sure if you can have your cake and eat it too if you dont want to cut upholstery or add towers.

The ARs dont come with transom speakers, so I did like most and added some to the rear, and had to have the cushion trimmed to fit. I think it will look fine, and the modification will yeild major improvement.

And yes, this stuff is super pricey....but I would caution you get what you want, not just what you can afford, as you dont want to have to spend twice b/c the first go round didnt give you the sound you expected.

I think a member on her had some of the JL MX770 towers...400-500 or so I thought, cant recall.

Id say just add some towers, OR...go the way @Drift Away went with the towers on the rear...very nice.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I know those 190s are a tad shorter on the back end, but dont let a little upholstery stop you. Just not sure if you can have your cake and eat it too if you dont want to cut upholstery or add towers.

The ARs dont come with transom speakers, so I did like most and added some to the rear, and had to have the cushion trimmed to fit. I think it will look fine, and the modification will yeild major improvement.

And yes, this stuff is super pricey....but I would caution you get what you want, not just what you can afford, as you dont want to have to spend twice b/c the first go round didnt give you the sound you expected.

I think a member on her had some of the JL MX770 towers...400-500 or so I thought, cant recall.

Id say just add some towers, OR...go the way @Drift Away went with the towers on the rear...very nice.
@wallacerb has a pair of 7.7 towers with mounts for sale. Might want to reach out not sure what hes asking. But buy the good shit first or youll end up buying everything twice.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would buy his speaker and maybe a cheap Rockville amp to hold you over for now.