• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New AR240 clean out plug stuck.

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today i removed one of the clean out plugs. When I put it back in I think I pushed it down too hard and now it's stuck, won't twist. Anyone have any ideas how to correct it?

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel stupid, and it was kind of a teaching moment gone wrong. Telling my son that it was important to keep lube on them before every trip out to just spray a lube around the ring. I'll never be a teacher now.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I feel stupid, and it was kind of a teaching moment gone wrong. Telling my son that it was important to keep lube on them before every trip out to just spray a lube around the ring. I'll never be a teacher now.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok. Not sure (Your profile says 2014 model) ((2017 and newer have new screw in design). My mechanic feels over lubing can be worse and feels that’s really not necessarily accept when storing them). I have the pre-2017. I don’t know the answer - sorry

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you look at it from the bottom, does it look like the contour of the plug is properly aligned with the hull? Trying to understand if the plug went in properly and the locking mechanism is the issue, or whether the plug itself isn't aligned properly.

Not that I have any great suggestions as far as what to do either way, but it will provide some insight as to where the problem is.

Jeff

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Problem solved! Apparently when I reinstalled the plug I had it in the grooves. Problem was the small black tab on the side of the black bottom half (the black part that turns). If the black bottom swivel is not properly aligned, it can go in at an angle and wedge itself in there. Since I pulled the boat out of the dock and took her home, I don't know if water had anything to do with it not wanting to move. Anyway when I got her home I was expecting a battle, I gave the plug one last hard pull and out she came. I almost fell off. Moral of the story is, READ THE PLUG TOP. The metal tabs were in the slots correctly, but not lock in place. The black plastic tab somehow some way wedged in there. I did lube the rubber seal, however that had nothing to do with my problem. Sorry no pics to show. Live and learn I guess but as much as I pulled and yanked while at the dock, I swear that plug would not budge.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad you fixed it. The tab needs to be aligned with the "Set" location on the plug, as you found out, before trying to install it. I'm sure the boat drying out a bit and jostling around on the ride home helped when you successfully removed it.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To make it easy, i rotate them sitting on the port counter-clockwise until they drop in. It puts them in the set position and then just lock them down with the right turn once they drop in. Keeps me from having to mess with the tabs.

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. I did outline the lettering on the plugs to help remind me. What a rookie mistake. Dealer even called me today to check in. Nice to know they were concerned they even scheduled me in on their own in case I needed to bring it in. Believe me no one was more happier than me.

JeffCox

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2019 242x, but previously had 2008 with the older model plugs. The new model plugs seem very hard to tighten and loosen. i use to spray my old ones with silicone spray and they came out easily as long as i took them our regularly. I am thinking i should spray a light coat of silicone on these but have been hesitant to do anything not recommended. anyone else have tough time tightening/loosening the new style plugs? Maybe I just need to get a little stronger?

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My 2019's are definitely difficult to R&R. I wonder if Yamaha was embarrassed by the older style popping out and made the new ones so they absolutely would not pop out?

As a consequence I have gotten lazy about removing them. Before we got our slip and hoist I would remove them every outing. Now I do it every 2nd or 3rd time. I haven't noticed a change in effort required. I haven't lubed them though.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I use 3M silicon paste instead of the spray on my 2018 with the same plugs you have. The paste seems to stay on a bit longer. But they've always rotated easily in the ports since the boat was new. Does the set tab rotate easily when the plug is out? If so, it sounds like you simply have plugs which fit a bit tightly in the ports. Suggest you give silicon paste a try.

Jeff

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, mine rotate freely when out. Just difficult to turn when seated. Will try the silicone.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I use the Yamalube on them every time I pull them, even when wet.

Old firefighter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Okay I am having a heck of a time putting the clean out plug back in. I know its a pretty hard turn, but i cant even get it seated enough to lock it in. Tabs are in the right place. I feel it seat and push down, but it feels like I am metal to metal and it wont move. This is with both plugs. I had 4 guys try to turn it and we had no luck.

Sean R

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I pull my plugs after every use also, silicone them every five or six outings. For what its worth, I had a 2017 Ar190 (new plug style also) it was a lot easier to pull out than my now 2020 212. My wife struggles with then but can do it, my Popeye forearms can get the job done but the small hole is wearing my anchor tattoo off 😎

topgun7214

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay I am having a heck of a time putting the clean out plug back in. I know its a pretty hard turn, but i cant even get it seated enough to lock it in. Tabs are in the right place. I feel it seat and push down, but it feels like I am metal to metal and it wont move. This is with both plugs. I had 4 guys try to turn it and we had no luck.
Sounds like the rubber gasket is swelled. Literally just happened to me Sunday. Bought new plugs solved the problem. You can get new plugs at your dealership or from jetboatpilot on line. $60 something each.