• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New batteries. Boat cranks but engine won’t turn on. Need advice

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi All,
Just finished installing new group 27 batteries for 2016 242 limited S and installed promariner 12. Batteries crank and stereo works. But engine won’t turn over. I last used boat 2 months ago. Filled gas and put in stabilizer. Never had this happened.

Something i missed installing batteries or bad coincidence? Any idea what could be wrong before i take to dealer?

Thx in advance
Demo

Safety switches. Throttles in neutral, clean out hatch, lanyard safety switch. Check and double check.

Were all the battery cables reconnected the same way they were disconnected? I had a similar problem a while ago and it was because the battery cables were connected wrong.

Make sure all connections are on the batteries. I think there is a small black wire most people miss when reinstalling batteries and run into this issue assuming your lanyard is functioning. It won't be the clean out switch because those disable the starter.

I’ll check back within the hour. Attached is my house battery with the ground line attached. (Took picture after installation). Thx for input.

Will engine crank if the lanyard is out?

Attachments

• 0B9B8408-9E88-4828-959E-EB978D1E6CE2.jpeg
    0B9B8408-9E88-4828-959E-EB978D1E6CE2.jpeg
    424.6 KB · Views: 19
Lanyard out means starter will engage but engine will not run.

Both starters are cranking. Just engine will not turn over.

Been there; done that. Don't feel bad at all. Just feel relieved it was not something real. :)

Dude it happens, I bet if you ever have a no start in the future it won’t be because of the lanyard!

Most all of us have been there, some of us more than once, lolol.
I almost cancelled a lake vacation once and started heading back home - due to similar "condition" ("OMG the boat is @#$%&") which fortunately during a moment of clarity, upon backing off the ramp, turned out to be a throttle binnacle tripped off of neutral.
Good times!

--

Most all of us have been there, some of us more than once, lolol.
I almost cancelled a lake vacation once and started heading back home - due to similar "condition" ("OMG the boat is @#$%&") which fortunately during a moment of clarity, upon backing off the ramp, turned out to be a throttle binnacle tripped off of neutral.
Good times!

--

Exactly. That is what brought me here 3 1/2 years ago. Been operating boats most of my life and it happened to me.

Back