• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boater Looking for Docking my Jet Boat Tips!!!

BBastecki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchase a 2007 AR230 HO. I’ve never owned a boat before - I’ve never even driven a boat before... I’ve taken it out a couple times now and really enjoy it!!! I feel very confident in open waters but definitely do not feel good in no wake zones and especially docking.

In no wake zones I have tried the “no wake mode” but I feel like the boat barely moves and I have little to no control of steering.

I’ve found myself using only 1 motor in no wake zones and trying to dock and it seems a little easier than trying to control both throttles at once at low speeds.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great for this new boater!!! Especially docking, I feel lost and look like an Asian driver trying to dock

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Go to your local dock during the week when it is slow and practice.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use both of your throttles, they will turn the boat quicker using small busts of throttle. I come in straight at the dock on my first indent with no wake active. When I get close to the dock I turn hard away while at the same time turning off no wake and pulling the throttles back to neutral. Once the boat is nearly parallel to the dock I turn the wheel to the doc and hit reverse - this slows my momentum and pulls the stern towards the dock. At this point I often just kill the engines - because when I do it right I typically just nestle up to the dock with a subtle kiss of the bumpers.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Also, always try to use the wind to your advantage.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A big thing with these boats is steer early.. Its not a car. U have to get ahead of the boat on steering. When at no wake u will simply have to work the wheel like a car on ice... U will steer farther to each side to keep it straight. Its the nature of a jet boat. Once you learn to put more wheel into it u will become accustomed to how maneuverable these boats are and will be able to do things other boats can't.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a boat hook. Then you only have to get close. That and big finders lol.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I second the fender in the water training. Great for learning how your boat moves.

At the dock, I agree you should use both engines. I do not use no wake mode so I have more control. But do flip them from neutral to the first detent and back to give some bursts. Come in at 45 degrees from the dock, slowly. When you are about 3-4 feet from the dock, steer full toward the dock and gently reverse. That will slow your forward momentum and bring the aft to the dock.

Remember you have no neutral really. So once you get close, cut the engines. That will minimize your drift.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use both motors as well not if I need to go slower I'll just kick one into gear and then back out again...

Last edited:

Bananas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel your pain, Jet ski person for years and switched to a boat. My Docking is getting better each time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've not docked a twin engine jet at this time, so can't comment there a ton, however the @haknslash method above works perfectly for me.

With more and more practice I can come in and back into a slip/dock/raft up and not touch anything with the boat. It's slower then with a prop, but I can hold the boat in position well enough that people can step onto/off of the rear platform without me having to tie up to anything. Even my 60yr old mother can casually step onto the platform from the dock without it being tied off.

The biggest adjustment for me was patience. You can't come in hard, then hit the brakes. I come in without about 4-5 boat lengths, slow to almost a stop, then gently and slowly maneuver my way into the dock. Usually within 1-2 boat lengths I'll "start the turn" to back in. Then just mosey on in backwards. Nice and slow and under control. I get compliments often about the "lack of drama" when I'm docking. Nobody hanging off the front trying to "catch the dock" or people running around the boat trying to keep my gelcoat off the wood.

Also something I learned. Reverse isn't so much for going backwards as it is for controlling the angle of attack to the dock, and for slowing down. For instance, when backing into the slip at the local courtesy docks I'll swing the boat around so that I only have about 1/2 a boat length to actually "back up" into the slip. The rest is done between neutral and forward. It's hard to explain really. I should make a video.

The other thing I had to do was stop saying "I used to do it this way so.....", The jet is NOT the same as a prop. Since the OP doesn't have previous boating experience, the clean slate should be a good place to start, and the learning curve won't be any steeper than it is with any other boat.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
With our business we work most weekends, so we get to boat during the week a lot when the local marina is pretty empty. I haven't been fully docking lately. I've been either bringing the bow in slowly so that my wife steps off as I back away just before touching the dock. Or if more people are on board, I make everyone gather there shoes and clothing while coming into the no wake zone, then I swing the boat around and slowly back the swim deck up to the dock. Everyone steps off and I pull away. Then for fun I put the port engine in the forward detent and strbd engine in reverse dent and turn full lock to the right. Doing perfect pirouettes to onlookers amazement while the wife back the trailer in.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this doesn’t help, but I actually come in pretty hot nose in just about parallel to th dock the use reverse to stop and swing my back end in.......it looks like a work of art, and everyone on the boat and dock has a panic attack thinking I’m about to plow right through the dock. (Of course, I don’t touch it)

I find this works best for me as we are often fighting a fairly rough launch area, but wouldn’t say it is a best practice by any means.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cycling from neutral to fwd detent and back to neutral (with wheel fully turned) & repeating over and over , allows for slow controlled turning of the boat without too much forward motion. Before I read this trick, i considered fins. Also never on a boat until I bought this jet and after a few tricks & a dozen times out learning not to overstear but instead to steer earlier than most head end moves now comfortable and can't imagine the need - unless some crazy current or other special needs.
(I have E series with dual throttle lock, so can't help with any 2 throttle frustrations, but pretty sure running only 1 engine is Not the way to go).
...good luck

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum from another 07 Orange AR230 HO owner. It all depends on the conditions you are trying to dock in. Generally pulling in to a dock or slip forward is going to be easier than reverse. Same approach as mentioned above, in forward slowly at 45°, if there is room and just as you get there, reverse and steer into the dock and the stern pulls right up parallel to the dock. Backing into a slip is very similar. But these boats are not known for their accuracy in reverse and may need thrust diverting enhancements ie. Mega fangs, my choise, especially in crosswinds or currents. I prefer backing into my slip. It is easier to load/unload the boat from the swim platform.
20180608_162723.jpg

Last edited:

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
All good points above. I would only add try to come to a dead stop near the dock or slip prior to your approach and see what the winds and currents are doing to your boat. This will allow you to plan your approach more carefully. What works great one day might be the last thing you want to do the next day. Where my boat is now slipped the currents are very strong and reverse with the tides. Throw in some nice winds and it’s a real challenge. Good luck!

Last edited:

BBastecki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!! Rain is in the forecast for the foreseeable future... I’m going to practice once the sun comes out. I like the idea of tossing a fender in for practice and heading to Marina at slow time. Also sounds like using only 1 engine may not actually be too smart...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in a similar boat (literally and figuratively!) Before I bought my 07 sx230 ho, I had only drove single engine outboards and kept skid.

I usually just practice patience, I typically come in with the throttles at 0 but in forward, then transition to neutral when I get close to the docks. As others said, plan your turn early, if you can come into your stall straight it's much easier. I operate both throttles at the same time 95% of the time, sometimes I will bump o l one to forward from neutral to rotate slightly.

The big thing to remember imo is to take your time. It's a lot easier to steer into the stall at idle, or even in neutral.

Ashler Bosew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I read it here somewhere but to re-emphasize, practice when there is not that many people on the dock or ramp, be mindful of the current and the wind if you have your top on and be ready to reverse it if you need to.

wkparker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are a couple of videos on YouTube you might find helpful:

My favorite: