• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boater Looking for Docking my Jet Boat Tips!!!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also you may want to look at Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters. We created them to make docking much more manageable and less stressful. Many here can chime in on their experience.

Enjoy your new boat.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found this video really helped me up my docking game.

BBastecki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea the 07 only has one setting for no wake mode and it just seems painfully slow and unresponsive... 07 also doesn’t have TDE. Sounds like I need to just practice and get used to using both throttles at low speeds/RPMs.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea the 07 only has one setting for no wake mode and it just seems painfully slow and unresponsive... 07 also doesn’t have TDE. Sounds like I need to just practice and get used to using both throttles at low speeds/RPMs.
I bet you have two no wake speeds the first is with the throttles in the neutral position and the second is at the first indent. On my boat first is at 90 degrees and second is at 45 degrees. In the first I an moving at about a mile per hour the second I'm skipping along at about 4 mph!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The second detent did not come on Yamaha boats until 2012. The older model boats from about 2006-2011 (excluding 24 footers) had a single stage no wake.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never dock with the no wake mode on. . I like coming in nice and slow... No fuss... Just smooth and easy. U don't want to be one of those guys at the dock that's reving the engine in forward then have to over rev in reverse because u gave it too much forward thrust .. Now your bow is coming off the dock and you are about to hit someone behind you then you have to slam it in forward again because you had to use so much reverse.... By then everyone at the dock is looking at you and glad their boat isn't near you.

I come in at 45 degrees or shallower... Crawling along with both motors in neutral and just a steady bump with one engine to keep a little forward momentum.... Once the bow is close to the dock I put it in reverse and turn the wheel toward the dock and it slowly brings the stern around parallel with the dock and then kill the engines. No fuss... No issues.

Once you get good you can literally walk your boat sideways..

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X2 on using the wind to your advantage .If you have an option coming to a dock of being blown into the dock or blown off the dock let the wind blow you into it . Lots of shifting into forward reverse or neutral for slow controlled docking a second mate with a push pole is very helpful. If you are out and the water is getting splashed up on the boat be carful if you try to jump to the dock my foot slipped one time when I tried to jump off about 2 feet I landed half way in the water waist deep and caught myself on the dock my wrist and ribs took a beating .