• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boater needing help...

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The house battery was weak so the boat ran but I had no screen, gauges, nothing. But you dont have a dual battery set up, right?

Last year I had a problem where the screen was on but almost nothing worked. Turned out it was because the port tach was bad. A lot of the electronics run through the port tach. Mine’s a 2017 though so maybe the 2020 is wired differently.

Good luck.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the connext screens are sensitive to voltage. Could it be your battery volts are low due to running radio or inadvertently leaving something on which drained the battery below the threshold the connext screen likes? I would check voltage as soon as you can figure out a safe return.
I have read that as well. I wasn’t running the radio. I had my Bluetooth speaker and phone running. I have worried about that until I get a couple more batteries. It started fine and I would think when I was coming back voltage would have been easily 14 volts (while running) she rode back fine. Still no connext, I wish I had a volt meter with me, but for the couple weeks I’ve owned it I have taken care of it and on a charger when stored. I also read to clean and re-secure battery terminals, which I did, though they weren’t dirty. I’m not professional but I almost think it’s out. It does beep when I disconnect the wire harness and plug it back in. It seems to be getting power. Thanks for your input

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. The house battery was weak so the boat ran but I had no screen, gauges, nothing. But you dont have a dual battery set up, right?

Last year I had a problem where the screen was on but almost nothing worked. Turned out it was because the port tach was bad. A lot of the electronics run through the port tach. Mine’s a 2017 though so maybe the 2020 is wired differently.

Good luck.
No net yet... I’ll be putting them in soon. I almost certain the battery is good but without a meter I can’t tell. Now I know what all I need aboard so that’s a plus. Thanks for your assistance 🍻

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have read that as well. I wasn’t running the radio. I had my Bluetooth speaker and phone running. I have worried about that until I get a couple more batteries. It started fine and I would think when I was coming back voltage would have been easily 14 volts (while running) she rode back fine. Still no connext, I wish I had a volt meter with me, but for the couple weeks I’ve owned it I have taken care of it and on a charger when stored. I also read to clean and re-secure battery terminals, which I did, though they weren’t dirty. I’m not professional but I almost think it’s out. It does beep when I disconnect the wire harness and plug it back in. It seems to be getting power. Thanks for your input
If you are sure the battery voltage is good and connections are secure, I would start pulling out fuses. They may appear ok from a distance or first look but you need to look closer and sometimes under magnification. Start pulling fuses and inspect one by one. Also check behind the helm making sure all wires and connections are secure and tight and nothing came loose. Did you say you reset the system by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? If not, do so as well.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are sure the battery voltage is good and connections are secure, I would start pulling out fuses. They may appear ok from a distance or first look but you need to look closer and sometimes under magnification. Start pulling fuses and inspect one by one. Also check behind the helm making sure all wires and connections are secure and tight and nothing came loose. Did you say you reset the system by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? If not, do so as well.
Thank you. This is what i just got doing. Everything appears to be in order. The only fuses that I can’t visually check are solid black. I’ll check them with a meter when I get back home. Thanks again though

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say it is the connext screen but if your RPM gauge is also not working, I don’t think the connext is the problem. I have a 2018 AR210.... let me know if you need me to look at anything. Ill go look at the service manual and report back if I see anything but I think you are probably back home by now.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just in case someone has a similar issue or is following along. I got the boat home yesterday and put a volt meter on it. The batteries are sitting at 12.6 and are not the issue. It sat for over a day disconnected and still I get nothing. Going to call the dealer today. She fires right right up should I try and turn her over. I’ve o lot read about a couple of similar issues and they both ended up being the screen. I just hope it’s quick what ever it is, I probably only have 4 hours on this boat. Thanks to everyone that offered their assistance. I greatly appreciate it and your time. The only good thing is I have read the manual front to back. I hope everyone had a great weekend 🍻🇺🇸

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your issues with your display. Just to make you feel more comfortable, do not worry about running the rest of the system when the display is not working. Since your engine started just fine, it is fairly safe to assume the voltage was good. Which you confirmed by testing it. I am sure and rightfully so that your biggest concern was hitting shallow water with the depth alarm out with the display.

The black "fuses" that you were asking about are not actually fuses. They are resistors for the CAN communication system. They should test at 120 Ohms. While there is a strong chance that the display has failed, I also feel it could be a loose terminal in your connector to the display. Power for the display should be coming in on pins 3 and 4 with a system on circuit that should also read 12 v. in pin 5. The grounds for the display are in pin positions 2 and 7. Since you work with low voltage equipment, I feel comfortable with you testing this out. Good luck.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your issues with your display. Just to make you feel more comfortable, do not worry about running the rest of the system when the display is not working. Since your engine started just fine, it is fairly safe to assume the voltage was good. Which you confirmed by testing it. I am sure and rightfully so that your biggest concern was hitting shallow water with the depth alarm out with the display.

The black "fuses" that you were asking about are not actually fuses. They are resistors for the CAN communication system. They should test at 120 Ohms. While there is a strong chance that the display has failed, I also feel it could be a loose terminal in your connector to the display. Power for the display should be coming in on pins 3 and 4 with a system on circuit that should also read 12 v. in pin 5. The grounds for the display are in pin positions 2 and 7. Since you work with low voltage equipment, I feel comfortable with you testing this out. Good luck.
Excellent summary! Are you a Yamaha engineer? Also, the OP said the tachs are not working. Doesn’t that lead you to believe it is less of a connext screen issue?

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It shouldn't. Those CAN terminators, if they are loose, will cause the tachs to not get data to display anything... So, they should be checked, but are likely not the problem, as @tek4fun said.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

this is perfect, hank you greatly for the information! The dealer is sending me a new screen so I can install it and send the other back should it all workout. If not I know where to look now thanks to you. 🍻 it was the shallow water, the constantly drain the lake and it get a little sketchy at times. Thanks again! The service dept couldn’t even tell me those were resistors. I was thinking a shunt for features I didn’t have on my model and they agreed lol.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent summary! Are you a Yamaha engineer? Also, the OP said the tachs are not working. Doesn’t that lead you to believe it is less of a connext screen issue?
I asked the service dept where I purchased and the guy said he’d ask the techs if it’s a known issue. He called back 20 min later and they said it has happened several times this year for them

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will tell y’all about a problem I’ve already had with mine. I have a 2020 242X and on the 3rd time out with it I got a communication error on the connext. It was intermittent and kept coming back So I started moving wires and I found wires near the fuse block that would start or stop the problem. Dug in and found that a couple fuse sockets were not tight. if I wiggled the fuses it would cause the alarm. So for a temporary fix, I used needle nose pliers to twist the fuse prongs slightly so that they made a good connection. Solved the problem. Dealer is 2 hours away so they’re supposed to send me new sockets and I’ll replace them.
DCD01205-106D-469D-AAE2-C44E1F0329C0.jpeg

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well today I got the call that the new screen was in! The wife made the 2 hour trip to pick it up, along with the missing table leg. Upon her return, I left early to get this bad boy fixed.... Only to find that they sent me a screen for a 2015 240. I am beyond frustrated! Now I am being told they new replacement wont be in until the end of July. I asked for Yamaha's number to call them, only to find out they're closed. Not sure what I can do but I have had it! Too the point of wanting to return it.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am currently looking to purchase and install a Garmin. I’m hoping this will protect me from at least shallow water. I can’t imagine not having my boat for the 4th.

Should I be concerned that I may not get any alarms with the display out? Thanks in advance for your time!

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
**NEW UPDATE**
After receiving the wrong part.... I am now being told that I will not have a replacement until sometime in late October. I’m not even sure where to start. I should’ve bought a 2021... beyond frustrating! Yamaha is looking into how they can compensate my purchase, more than likely with a warranty extension. Anyone have any experience in this field. I have lost all faith in this boat and their ability to correct it. The Yamaha Facebook page as lots of similar situations. Any input would be appreciated 🍻

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After the October deadline, I called back to Yamaha and expressed my displeasure with a boat with 2 hours being down for its entire first season. I then asked why they weren’t able to pull one off of the 2021 production line. To that they agreed and I received a new display today. They actually sent the entire dash, switches, tacs, everything. I installed the display After work and we are good to go! Frustrating to say the least but we now have our back and ready for the weekend. 🍻🇺🇸

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good result! Be sure to share that number with everyone.

Now, we expect pics in the 'one photo from your outing today' thread. :)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I hope the pain that Yamaha has caused you will fade quickly. They should take note of how @JetBoatPilot treats customers and then honestly look at themselves. They could learn some things.
Yes, we do need pictures of a happy family out on the water. I think you will find the boat trouble free going forward.

Tronics212

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to agree! I think it should be "smooth sailing" from here on out. Or at least that's how I am going to see things for now....

I called Yamaha's customer service line (800)962-7926.
Andrew was the first rep that i spoke with, he did a great job and said if I ever had an issue I could ask for him personally. The second call was Mone', but yea... I would avoid her, not nearly has helpful.

In closing, thank you all for the helpful words and advice. I hope no one needs this thread in the future. Be safe and happy boating!!🍻[flag]Happy 4th