• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New JB - What to look for in a 2007 SX230

theoldwizard1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am probably going to look at a 2007 SX230. It looks like it could be a really nice family boat.

When the family is all together there are 6 adults and 5 children ranging in age from 4 to 9. Is the boat big enough to accommodate that many ? Most everyone enjoys the water and we spend a full two weeks at a large inland lake in Northern MI, so a boat with a large interior is a must. Also looking for a "comfortable ride", at least more comfortable than the old Starcraft I have (fine on flat water, harsh in the least bit of chop). With the right boat, we may adventure out on to Lake St, Clair or near shore on Lake MI.

The boat is advertised as low hours (<150 hours) and stored inside during the winter. Owner claims to have all service records. I will do a compression check and give the engines a good "visual inspection", but what should I be looking for ?

I have heard these are an "interference" engine. What is the recommended hours for timing chain/belt replacement and do the engine have hour meters ? What other maintenance should I check to see if it has been done or should I plan on doing ?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That boat has a capacity of ten people I believe.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@theoldwizard1 Welcome to the forum. Timing chain failure has not been an issue with the MR-1 engine. Have the current owner take you for a ride. If that cannot happen, at least have him/her start the engines in the yard and show you the procedure...engine on, water on then on shutdown water off, engine off. To view engine hours, if the boat does not have aftermarket hour meters, you will need YDS, Yamaha diagnostics which will also show past alarms and hours run at certain RPM's. Ask him/her if they have one. If not maybe there is someone on this forum, that lives near you, that does and could check the info for you. These boats with MR-1 HO's run at top rpm's of 10,000+ and can be loud in the cockpit unless sound deadening is upgraded in the boat. Capacity on my boat is 10 and I feel crowded above 6 adults. But I like my space. Ask when the last spark plug and oil change was. Check the oil level in the dry sump, should be near the low mark. Maintenance is the easiest of any boat I have owned and winterizing til spring use, for me, is cranking the jackstand all the way up initially and blowing the water out of the exhaust by a few revs on each motor, they are self draining. If it does not have one already, change the factory plastic scupper to S.S. What else...the paddle wheel transducer for the speedometer is inaccurate, but that boat may have a peto tube. Anyway a new GPS speedo in the dash fixed that. Make sure all electronics work. The factory radio (head unit) and remote are usually in some sort of disrepair, and require changing.
These are great day boats, alot of fun. If you are going to be running in 1' to 2' chop on Lake Michigan, I recommend adding trim tabs, they are a huge improvement in ride quality in the chop and wakes of others in Lake Champlain. I use them every time we go out, unless the water is glass. Check the FAQ's on this site for answers to other questions. Good luck.

Last edited:

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding compression, take it for a ride and if both motors hit 10k RPM and you are anywhere near 50mph, you have healthy motors. In this case I myself would not bother with a compression check unless you want the piece of mind.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding compression, take it for a ride and if both motors hit 10k RPM and you are anywhere near 50mph, you have healthy motors. In this case I myself would not bother with a compression check unless you want the piece of mind.
My boat did that on the test drive then had compression issues.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently bought a similar 2007 sx230 ho. For a big boat, it doesnt feel like it. We dont have kids, but with adults we try to limit ourselves to 7ish adults to maintain room for coolers and moving around the cabin. There is definitely seating for more than that, but the girls we go with like to lay out and such so it's more comfortable with less people.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Video does not lie. BY the way, these boats are maintenance free. Change oil and plugs once a year and you roll. Besides the usual cleaning, waxing, etc.

As Warner Wolf used to say "Let's go to the videotape". This is an 08 SX230. Same boat as the 07. What is the asking price. Not more than 20K or don't look at it. Mine is pristine, and I'd take 21K for it.

pag-vb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I fully agree with most of the above comments - these boats are tough, reliable and forgiving. With just moderate care and maintenance they very rarely have any problems. The one big caveat that was already mentioned is the cockpit drain transom scupper. The factory scupper is plastic and IT WILL FAIL sooner or later. It must be replaced with a stainless steel version. Other than that, there may be a few other relatively minor but annoying issues like sticky or creeping throttles.