• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New JetBoatPilot Sound Deadening Product

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot
I have my kit and my boat is finally out of storage.
Obviously where hoses and wires penetrate the engine compartment I will have to cut holes around them. Do I need to worry about abrasion?
For items mounted to the walls (ECU, air filter & throttle linkage), should I cut around them or mount them over the Soundown?
Is Soundown better than the existing foam on the hatch?
What is the best material to use for the templates?

P.S. Make sure to get your income taxes filed today!

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can use mylar film for templates but you can also do like we did and take measurements of your area and then cut your sound deadening material to size. When installing you can cut slits as you go. It cuts with scissors or a razor knife and is pretty easy to work with. The material does work better than the oem stuff.

Extension filed!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
......Extension filed!
I hadn't heard from my accountant in weeks...sent him an email yesterday to find out what was going on....he replied at 9:30 last night - "I filed your extension". :confused:

As to the Fire Port - when did they start installing them on the Yamahas? (Why do I feel so out of the loop?) and where did mother Yamaha put it on the new boats?

I schlep several extinguishers around and always dreaded having to confront a fire in the engine compartment, what with having to lift that hatch and all.

A port would be nice....I suppose. Or no fire would be even better :cool:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The fire port was introduced on 2010 models and can be retrofit on any jet boat if you want to drill a 1.5 or 2 inch hole into your engine hatch.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have noticed that my fastest speeds happened with passengers in the back of the boat and none in the front. Clearly there is a point of diminishing returns because otherwise ballasted boats would be rockets, but I would not expect this mod to impact top speed significantly one way or the other.
Soundproofing your Engine compartment, et. al, has ZS-E-R-O effect on your boat's speed. ZERO.
This assumes you purchase quality products, and not roofing alphalt-type products.
Overal effects of doing this work:
A) It helps. Somewhat. It is NOT a "cure-all." Nothing in this world that costs this little is.
B) Is it worth the effort ? Yes ! Period !
C) Both Barbie & I removed our 2013 Hatch cover OURSELVES to do ours. Using DeAmplifier Pro, which is thicker and heavier than what many use, DynaMat, we still were able to RE-install the cover carefully ourselves.
D) Is the overall effect anything close to what Yamaha achieved by totally re-designing the 2014 24-foot hulls, and more ? NO ! PERIOD ! NADA NO !~
E) Would you recommend others spend time and money to do this sound reduction ? Yes !@

F) SInce @JetBoatPilot's product offering is a combination of Sound "DEADENING " material, along with "Sound Reducing Foam," all packaged together, I heartily endorse it !

I am hoping this might help others decide about what and where they wish to go with this. Many Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian

PS- By the way, the single BEST sound reduction project completed was done by @Ronnie, who left no stone un-turned. And I feel sure the results speak for all of the significant effort he put into his project.

Last edited:

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used this product on my boat. It's definatly quieter. No decibel readings. I did the hatch,sidewalls and front of the engine compartment.
Any way you could PM with me? I'm buying the kit from JBP this week and plan to install it, but looking at the inside of the engine compartment (2011 242 LS) there are tons of wires, boxes, and hoses on the front of the engine compartment. I'm not quite sure how to get a clean install without pulling everything out (which I'm sure I would screw up). I would love to see how you did it? I have a decibel meter and I'm planning to post pics of the steps and actual noise reduction. thanks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As I recall doing the front wall was the hardest part. I didn’t have to remove any hoses but did have to detach them from the wall. I simply took a lot of measurements and cut holes in the sound deadening/absorbing material where needed for the hoses and wires as well as where the air filter boxes go (for the 240 series boats).

Here are links to my project. I hope they help.

One thing which helped a lot but didn’t cost much is bulb seal around the entire engine compartment opening.

Good luck with the mod.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27553&hilit=+sound+proofing

https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-2014-upgrades.1051/page-3#post-29315

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Is MLV sandwiched in this somewhere, or is more like the Soundskins solution of just deadener and ccf in a package?