• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New JetBoatPilot Sound Deadening Product

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys,

We have been working on a sound deadening solution for a few months and now have a DIY kit in our web store.

This kit includes a sheet of 1 inch thick sound suppression material which includes two foam layers, one noise reduction layer sandwiched in between and a mylar film layer on the outside plus a psa layer on the back. The sheet size is 54" x 96" so you should be able to get a lot done with this sheet.

The kit also includes a gasket material for your engine hatch (20 feet) and contact cement to secure it in place.

One additional feature that we're going to include is the fire port donut. It is basically a small piece of the noise reduction material that installs inside your fire port to reduce noise that escapes through that opening.

Also the kit includes installation tape and hangers which can be epoxied to the side walls of your engine bay. This will help the material stay put far longer than just using the PSA. Images are below and also available on our site:

https://jetboatpilot.com/index.php?id_product=550&controller=product

Shipping should average around $30 depending on where you live in the US.

I don't have an image of the hangers but I can get one online next week.

Our recommendation is to install on the forward facing portion of your engine hatch and sides of your engine bay. We've found that most of the sound that can be reduced is coming from the engine hatch opening and the noise that escapes around the panels that are screwed down in the engine bay's port and starboard sides.

We don't have data that will show a reduction in noise but I can tell you that when we installed ours the noise in the cockpit was reduced by a noticeable amount. I can't seem to find a noise measuring device that can confirm what I can hear with my ears, and so I can't publish DB reduction numbers.

We hope that you will give us feedback after you've done your own installs and let us know what you feel your results are. This is a product that we've been wanting to do for a long time and people ask us for it all the time so I need you to help us finetune it and tell others about your experience.

Also you will be comforted to know that this material is rated to be used in engine compartments and will not cause a fire hazard on your boat.

As always please call me if you have any questions. Will at 850-960-3236

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looking forward to hearing some results and some reading to back it up. Don't think I'll be an early adopter (mod budget is pretty much toast) but hopefully some will pick it up and report back!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the kit come with instructions or will the early adopters be donating those back to the community?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No instructions since its a DIY kit. Call us for best practices. We will add instructions as we find out what people find for their best results.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will you sell the fire port piece separately? I am thinking about adding one.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We could sell the fire port piece for $3.99 plus shipping. The kit is universal and will work for most Yamaha boat applications as well as other boats too.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used this product on my boat. It's definatly quieter. No decibel readings. I did the hatch,sidewalls and front of the engine compartment.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I would LOVE to hear how this goes. I was strongly considering going and buying a bunch of this stuff for my AR192. The salesman preach that my boat is loud but no louder than any other Yamaha and Lord I hope not. Its border-line annoying.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the tape just go around the edges of the material? Does DIY mean it needs to be cut to shape or is this cut to shape already?

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I used this product on my boat. It's definatly quieter. No decibel readings. I did the hatch,sidewalls and front of the engine compartment.
Did you remove the carpet on the sidewalls or how did you stick it on?

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used 3m super 77 adhesive spray. I glued it right to the carpet. Its been on one year with no signs of coming off. The Soundown the Jetboat Pilot is selling is self adhesive. I've used that as well. It's super sticky. I doubt it would ever fall off.

Note Soundown is heavy, so if keeping your boat light and fast is important, you may want to think twice about this mod.

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot if we want just the fire port plug I guess I need to just call you to order it?

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot Very glad to hear about your new product! :thumbsup: Couple questions: Is there any concern with engine and/or engine compartment overheating with this material? Also, will adding this affect the Yamaha warranty at all?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No issues with overheating in my opinion since you still have ventilation out the back. I also don't recommend doing the whole engine compt. Just the area facing the cockpit and the sides.

The material does have a psa but we also send hangers with the kit which allows more permanent installation. We hope to shoot a video of this soon and add it to the website.

The fire port ring can be ordered by calling in to our shop at 850-867-1410 @dustinjean . $3.99 plus shipping.

You will need to cut to fit your specific application @Gumbeaux

Yamaha's warranty policy allows for aftermarket add ons to be added without voiding the factory warranty but if an aftermarket add on has caused a factory warranted part to fail then that part's factory warranty is void.

Belleville_Boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yamaha's warranty policy allows for aftermarket add ons to be added without voiding the factory warranty but if an aftermarket add on has caused a factory warranted part to fail then that part's factory warranty is void.
That's the jargon that always worries me because it's completely open to interpretation. If something happens to one of the engines afraid they could always use the "you modified the engine compartment which increased the heat buildup which in turn is the reason for the issue... NO SOUP FOR YOU!!"

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They would have to prove that the aftermarket component was the specific cause of the failure. By law it cannot be subjective. I would say that if there was a situation where the engines were overheated to the point of failure there are other problems occuring.

I was considering applying material to the sides of my engine compartment but have never had the time and energy to do so. There is a lot of sound that travels toward the helm and head areas via the under-seat storage and gunwales.

Applying materials to the hatch and installing a full hatch gasket made a difference in my boat. I can see how adding some sound absorbing materials to the sides of the engine compartment would be worthwhile as well.

Looks like a good kit, hope it does well.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No instructions since its a DIY kit. Call us for best practices. We will add instructions as we find out what people find for their best results.
Still working out how much my spring break budget drank from my summer boating budget but I will probably be ordering this and posting pics and maybe some GoPro video.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Im a little skeptical on this mod. If I remember correct a guy on here did his own engine sound proofing and it had no signifant results. Maybe it was @Ronnie ???? I just remember the project was clean and VERY well done. BUT no real results.....I'm gonna save my $$ for something else that pops up.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used 3m super 77 adhesive spray. I glued it right to the carpet. Its been on one year with no signs of coming off. The Soundown the Jetboat Pilot is selling is self adhesive. I've used that as well. It's super sticky. I doubt it would ever fall off.

Note Soundown is heavy, so if keeping your boat light and fast is important, you may want to think twice about this mod.
I have noticed that my fastest speeds happened with passengers in the back of the boat and none in the front. Clearly there is a point of diminishing returns because otherwise ballasted boats would be rockets, but I would not expect this mod to impact top speed significantly one way or the other.