• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to me boat, I'm part of the club!

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

I picked up the boat on Saturday after a test drive, ran amazing. Right up to speed on gauge was a little of 50, and clicking 10.2 on the tachs. The boat has 92 hours per dealer I will need to get a YDS and computer unless some in Port St. Lucie or surrounding area wants to meet up that has one and check. The dealer was unfamiliar with the motors and were over filled with oil, I check on water after warm. We drained the motors and I will check and take out more or fill as needed on water when I run it this weekend. Also the Radio was DOA so I will be purchasing a new HU and speakers.

Now on to the not so fun I just found out. I noticed a strong oil/fuel smell figured from sitting in shop etc and doing the oil change. I cleaned bilge yesterday at house and I just refueled boat. I was like oh drain plugs and started pulling them. The middle one on floor came out nothing below, but some stuff I need to clean with hose and etc. The front bottom one same thing. The one to fuel compartment....I pulled and fuel comes rushing out. UH-OH!!! I do not own a Robertson #4 yet, but will own 4 tomorrow lol. I have no idea where fuel was from as I bought the boat it was real low and old fuel, I filled to top yesterday, I did not see anything like on my jet ski that says fill 2" below line just fill to bottom of filler neck. I pulled plug and drained the compartment it was a lot can't even guess how much. I put the plug back in and will check tomorrow when I open. I am guessing a filler neck or vent hose maybe.

All in all I'm still happy and can't wait to get this figured out and replace those stupid Robertson's with a Hex or Allen head bolt.

I will keep all informed and I'm happy to join the club!

Congrats and welcome! Oh the saga of a pre owned anything! I can tell by your writing that you have familiarized yourself well with these boats. I have never heard of a leak on these boats in the fuel compartment. I have heard of owner induced leaks and fuel sender issues, as well as a few other fuel related issues. I think you probably have a hose issue of some sort, but on an '08, you can remove the compartment cover and get in there and check it out. I got in my '08 all the time for mods and different things. I used my standard dewalt flat blade bit in the square drive opening of the big screws diagonally and it worked better than the #4 bit did. Keep us posted and once again congrats!

Congrats on the new boat @2nazt. You may also want to check the air filters. If they over filled the oil you may have blown some oil on the air filters when running at WOT. Also be careful to ventilate the engine and bilge compartments of fumes before working on the leak issue. Hope it's just a hose connection.

Wonderful and congratulations, @2nazt !

And, it sounds like you now have plenty of work to do on the boat. Careful with that fuel being loose on the boat. No smoking, huh? Good luck and let us know how we can help!

Nice looking boat AND truck! Congrats on the new purchase. I am curious to hear what you find as the source of your leak.

Sweet !!!!

Congrats @2nazt on the new boat. Hopefully your leak is as simple as tightening a loose fitting. Keep us posted.

Awesome! Congrats on the boat.

Real quick, I had a fuel smell in my boat and would find fuel in my bilge (same as you) after filling up and riding around. Eventually I narrowed it down to my fuel pumps. There was a gap in the top of the tank, between the top of the fuel pump and the bracket that keeps it in place.

I 100% narrowed it down because I had my son fueling up the boat while I felt around the fittings and such on the top of the tank (I had the floor up). But I could feel a rush of air coming from the top of the port side fuel pump. I sealed it with some RTV silicone and haven't had a problem since. See Photos. Good luck.

20140823_135434_resized_1.jpg 20140823_135817_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
@ToddW850 thank you for that. I am pretty sure that is all the issue is as well. Well hoping some as well.

@Gym I checked air filters and all is well in that area. Clean and looks brand new no oil soak anywhere.

No smoking for me and I open and ventilate often well I'm on the boat just to be safe with the fumes. The #4's will be here tomorrow per UPS and McMaster-Carr. Bummer but I'll try the Flat bit tonight and see.

Congrats on the boat purchase @2nazt !!

Awesome! Congrats on the boat.

Real quick, I had a fuel smell in my boat and would find fuel in my bilge (same as you) after filling up and riding around. Eventually I narrowed it down to my fuel pumps. There was a gap in the top of the tank, between the top of the fuel pump and the bracket that keeps it in place.

I 100% narrowed it down because I had my son fueling up the boat while I felt around the fittings and such on the top of the tank (I had the floor up). But I could feel a rush of air coming from the top of the port side fuel pump. I sealed it with some RTV silicone and haven't had a problem since. See Photos. Good luck.

View attachment 33657 View attachment 33658
@ToddW850 , did you do a write-up on this and is it already in the FAQ's? It should be if it isn't. If you didn't do a write-up and have the time, would you? And then send us a note to get it in the FAQ @Julian This is good info and as I mentioned up the thread, something that members have had issue with from time to time...it is the hoses and accessories on the tank that cause the minimal leaks. Thanks for adding to the conversation!

Congrats! We bought a 06 AR210 2 years ago, absolutely love it! Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Our friends have newer bow riders and I've had several people tell me how much more they love all the things on our boat! I will say this, the first thing we did on our that made a huge improvement was removing the aged sticker on the side. Immediately made the boat look 3/5 years newer. We also added a nice raised letter Yamaha on the back lower half (it's not on in the one pic) to try and give it a factory look. We also had the "AR210" letters on the top half cut at a sign shop for $20. Doing those things really made the boat look so much better in my opinion.

Congrats on the boat!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Robertson Bits will be here when I get off work today. Flushed and drained fuel compartment Tuesday night and checked yesterday no additional fuel in the compartment so that is a great thing. Should have access cover off tonight and find the leak!

Congrats! We bought a 06 AR210 2 years ago, absolutely love it! Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Our friends have newer bow riders and I've had several people tell me how much more they love all the things on our boat! I will say this, the first thing we did on our that made a huge improvement was removing the aged sticker on the side. Immediately made the boat look 3/5 years newer. We also added a nice raised letter Yamaha on the back lower half (it's not on in the one pic) to try and give it a factory look. We also had the "AR210" letters on the top half cut at a sign shop for $20. Doing those things really made the boat look so much better in my opinion.

Congrats on the boat!
View attachment 33687 View attachment 33689

Good looking boat @Trevor Shipman. I want to do the same thing by adding the FSH Yamaha emblem to my hull where you did.

@2nazt looking forward to hearing what the issue is and what the fix is. Good luck!

@ToddW850 , did you do a write-up on this and is it already in the FAQ's? It should be if it isn't. If you didn't do a write-up and have the time, would you? And then send us a note to get it in the FAQ @Julian This is good info and as I mentioned up the thread, something that members have had issue with from time to time...it is the hoses and accessories on the tank that cause the minimal leaks. Thanks for adding to the conversation!

@txav8r I sure thought I had done a write up on it, but I couldn't find it when I went to search for it to add to this thread. I know I had PM'ed @itsdgm about it when I had the issue, because he has the same boat. However, this may have all taken place on the "other" site. I will definitely write it up with pics and post in a new thread.

2natz, often those hatch bolts are seized on a boat our age. Hopefully you can get them out. If not, let me know and I'll look up where I got replacement bolts.

@buckbuck all bolts out with ease minus one getting easy outed and I have all new hardware already.

@ToddW850 or anyone what should I use the leak is around sending unit gasket I tried to reseat gasket to no avail. What kind of RTV for fuel area would work?

PS thank you to everyone this far and message or comment me for #4 SS Robertson I have one 3 brand new SS I will mail out for free to help anyone as I had a hard time finding them. I have one used still in good shape as well if someone doesn't mind that.

@DUSTOFF I was able to correct workout RTV.

Well I did some searching on this wonderful forum and found out that there is a correct way to seat the sending unit. The bolts just don't line up any which way. I had one bolt a little off as that is the way it was on there when I first reseated gasket. Well it was wrong from who ever worked on it last. I positioned correctly tightened up the bolts and topped off with fuel to filler neck I applied pressure to tank and it no leaks. Will let sit tomorrow and look for leaks and see what happens but I'm 99% sure it's good. Thanks to everyone and this forum.

2 new Robertson bits and one used still good up for grabs.

Can you link to that fix? I never came across that

Back