• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 230 H.O no start when hot

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like a pick up coil. Check it with an ohm meter when cold and again when hot and you have the hard / no start. Sometimes in coils like that there is a broken wire that when cold the wire ends are touching, but when it gets hot the wires drift apart. This was common on the old Motoplat ignitions.

euro_e30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a pick up coil. Check it with an ohm meter when cold and again when hot and you have the hard / no start. Sometimes in coils like that there is a broken wire that when cold the wire ends are touching, but when it gets hot the wires drift apart. This was common on the old Motoplat ignitions.
when you say pickup coil, are you referring to the coil packs? what should the reading be cold and then hot?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cleaned them myself....it only requires an injector pulser (Ebay around 30 dollars) their are a lot of videos on how to use a pulser and a car tire valve with a carb cleaner to spray clean injectors. ........... After removing all my screens it was then I realized that were was virtually no dirt in the screens that would cause any problem. A quick backwards blow with the cleaner would have been good enough. Next time I would just run the cleaner with the pulse in both direction.........running it backwards would blow out all the debris in the nylon screens.

I added one step you wont find in the video I pulse sprayed after carb cleaner with WD40 just to lube the needles..................since I was not returning them to service for about 2 days.....did not want the dry needles to stick to needle seat.

This guys did not use a pulser...... The Yamaha injectors are around 200 dollars each so cleaning them is well worth it.
(87) Fuel Injection cleaning in less than 5 Minutes/HOW TO clean injection Directly without disassembling - YouTube

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FSH210 makes a good point about pickup coils........The plug read on the well used plugs was the single most important thing that gets over looked..... A doctor reads the heart of the human body with a stethoscope....the heart of the engine is read in the plugs. Plug read can lean you toward the Pick up coil or towards the fuel injectors. It would be nice if you had the old plugs in the order you took the out to help in the diagnosis.....but without them its not to hard with an volt meter as FHS210 says to narrow it down.

On a 2005 boat it does not hurt at all to test pickup coils...coil packs...clean injectors and throw in a compression test just to put your mind at ease. Then go have some FUN......

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I swapped all 4 coil packs to the other engine to see if my problem followed them or not. Keep them all in the same order each time you pull them that way if they are the problem it’s not moving around.