• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Next Problem / Need Help - Drivetrain Issues 2006 230

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep working at it. Haven't yet heard of one winning in the long run.

Someday we need to figure out why some get stuck like this. Mine were easy ones...

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@TOGA Please note that I may be wrong but my experience is to always remove the next set of bolts forward. 4) 14mm and 1) 10 mm. I have never pulled my pump doing what you have done. So it may be possible but you may want to consider pulling the next 5 bolts.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@TOGA Please note that I may be wrong but my experience is to always remove the next set of bolts forward. 4) 14mm and 1) 10 mm. I have never pulled my pump doing what you have done. So it may be possible but you may want to consider pulling the next 5 bolts.
When I removed the pump that is not damaged (port Side), the shaft pulled straight out without issue. I don't think its necessary to remove any more of the assembly. I just need some force.

Thanks for suggestion. If the other side hadn't slid out easily I would try it.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want OEM you will need the diagram as far as I am aware. Some after market places will sell the kit.

I think this would be the WSM kit

But the OEM lasts so long I would consider paying more to get the OEM bearings.

Last edited:

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want OEM you will need the diagram as far as I am aware. Some after market places will sell the kit.
Can you guide me to aftermarket places that sell a kit.

I need the simple button to order all pieces that need to be replaced.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boom! I win.

I won't lie, I was getting real nervous.

I backed the truck up, attached a ratchet strap to impeller, tightened her until i thought she was about to fly apart, tapped with a hammer...and nothing happened.

She hung in there.

I tightened the strap until i was sure she was about to pop, crawled underneath with a big ass hammer and a 2x4 and whacked the crap out her 3 or times...and nothing happened.

I was mad and going for broke this last time. 2 whacks with all i had and she popped out onto the blanket I had waiting to catch her.

Good grief that was hard.

What I notice is when I went to fit her back in and make sure nothing was wrong, there is a cushion when inserting her back in that is forming a vacuum. I assume this is the IMS bearing I grease as directed each year.

Question now, is it supposed to feel like a cushion when reinserting?

I'm going to break into the good bearing tomorrow and make sure I understand which parts and bearings to order to rebuild both.

@Beachbummer - thanks for part sheet. Any idea which engine is Jet 1 and which is Jet 2? I'm guessing some parts are threaded different. I'm sure I'll figure it out when the boxes come in and Nut A won't work on Shaft B.

Thanks for everyone help.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@TOGA, I believe the only difference between the two pumps is the impeller. The attached screenshot is from yamaha sports plaza’s site they list pump 1 and jet pump 2 separately even though the common parts of both pumps are listed together in each diagram (for instance the intake grates are identified as port and starboard, parts 29 and 32, respectively).

Attachments

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need some help overcoming another Carol Baskin challenge.

Attached are pics of the impeller shaft, what's left of bearings, impeller duct, etc.

You can see how bad it was. Had to use a pipe wrench to get the nut off as it was almost completely rounded off. I imagine the next piece in the line is what was left of the spacer / washer.

The problem I now have is getting the last bearing race out of the impeller housing. Since the bearings were total destroyed, there is no way to pop them out easily.

I used a punch against the lip of the internal spacer to get the aft race out.

I cannot get any leverage on what's left of the bearing at the front of the housing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need some help overcoming another Carol Baskin challenge.

Attached are pics of the impeller shaft, what's left of bearings, impeller duct, etc.

You can see how bad it was. Had to use a pipe wrench to get the nut off as it was almost completely rounded off. I imagine the next piece in the line is what was left of the spacer / washer.

The problem I now have is getting the last bearing race out of the impeller housing. Since the bearings were total destroyed, there is no way to pop them out easily.

I used a punch against the lip of the internal spacer to get the aft race out.

I cannot get any leverage on what's left of the bearing at the front of the housing.

Anyone got any ideas?

Images 8063 and 8064 show different angles of the remaining bearing race I have to get out.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Images 8063 and 8064 show different angles of the remaining bearing race I have to get out.
So I saw where someone welded a couple of nuts to a race and that gave them a place to tap the race out.

Unless the forum comes back with a better idea, I'm heading to a buddies shop tomorrow and will try that.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a tool called a seal puller. looks like a flat steel hammer/ax with hooks in the end of where the hammer would be. Any chance you can get a hook or fastener to catch on the race lip while you insert something bigger through the pump to push it out?

Thin flat head screw driver right on the edge between the race and the pump, to try to bend it in?

Your weld idea sounds pretty slick, just thinking of other options.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a tool called a seal puller. looks like a flat steel hammer/ax with hooks in the end of where the hammer would be. Any chance you can get a hook or fastener to catch on the race lip while you insert something bigger through the pump to push it out?

Thin flat head screw driver right on the edge between the race and the pump, to try to bend it in?

Your weld idea sounds pretty slick, just thinking of other options.
I cannot get squat to catch on the race. Can't get to the lip as it is recessed below the opening and the race itself is slick.

I got a buddy bringing a welder and an air chisel tomorrow.

I'm learning a lot from this one.

A note that I now wish I had questioned a while back...If you hear a ping or ting in your drive, it's your impeller hitting the housing. Stop the motor.

I heard that noise a long time ago, but never really thought about it. Know I now what it is and what it means.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear!!! Best of luck. Keep us posted.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like you need something like this:

That said, I don't have one and never used one. Just trying to find another possible solution for you...

It would work if I could get those hooks behind something to grip on. I don't think Yamaha ever intended for these bearing to disintegrate and be force to remove a bare race.