• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Next Problem / Need Help - Drivetrain Issues 2006 230

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2020 has been a dumpster fire no doubt caused by Carol Baskin.
Truck blew up. Broke friends master craft Friday before Memorial Day, and today my starboard drive decided to go south.

Need some help determine what’s going on and if it’s something I can fix or if I need to get it to a shop.

Started day off rescuing a 30’ sailboat off the shore and towing them back to their slip a couple miles up river.

dropped them off and started motoring up river. Lots of debris in water. One jet starts shuddering. Shut em down and pull clean out plug. Nothing in there.

start motoring again and it does it again. Check again. No debris but find a metal shaving.

start engine and let it idle. Fine for a while then a big think noise.

pull both plugs and compare play on shafts. Port is solid with no movement. Starboard has noticeable play.

Idled back to dock with port engine.

I have never torn into the drives on these boats.

where do I need to start to understand what has succumb to 2020 now.

all guidance appreciated.

also welcome info on good boat mechanic in Chattanooga if anyone knows someone.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the sailboat come ungrounded easily or did you have to apply some power?

When i pulled a boat off the sandbar the suction the jet was making pulled some silicone loose from the pump causing cavitation, I'll find link in a minute

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, if i needed a mechanic I'd look for a jetski shop

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did the sailboat come ungrounded easily or did you have to apply some power?

When i pulled a boat off the sandbar the suction the jet was making pulled some silicone loose from the pump causing cavitation, I'll find link in a minute
pulled the sailboat in no-wake mode. No power required.

now that there is metal shaving in pump and play in shaft I figure I have a bigger issue.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry missed the metal shavings,
I'd start by pulling the impeller/shaft and seeing anything obvious

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pulling the pump is pretty simple and in the FAQ. Pull them both while you are there and inspect the impellers, shaft, etc.

Metal shavings is unusual coming from the pumps. Any shavings would be flushed away pretty quickly. Not that it is not possible.

My money is you have junk in your pumps.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
6 fasteners and 15 minutes to pull the pumps to give time to drink an adult beverage, on the best case, once you have all the tools you need next to you, and if the pump slides out easily.
Of course it goes up from there, but no reason you won't be very lucky and slide it out easy.

You probably have something small wedged in there and won't need to take the pump off. Examine impeller to wear ring area with a flashlight before pulling the pump. It might be a small bit of debris causing this. It's pretty common. Don't despair yet.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
6 fasteners and 15 minutes to pull the pumps to give time to drink an adult beverage, on the best case, once you have all the tools you need next to you, and if the pump slides out easily.
Of course it goes up from there, but no reason you won't be very lucky and slide it out easy.

You probably have something small wedged in there and won't need to take the pump off. Examine impeller to wear ring area with a flashlight before pulling the pump. It might be a small bit of debris causing this. It's pretty common. Don't despair yet.
I’m used to finding very small stuff that causes vibration.

play in the shaft is concerning to me since there is no play in the other side.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that you mention it, I missed that part of your earlier message...the shaft is pressed into the impeller and it normally doesn't move a whole lot (like nothing, does not move at all), so Shaft play, if true, is highly suspicious and concerning.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that you mention it, I missed that part of your earlier message...the shaft is pressed into the impeller and it normally doesn't move a whole lot (like nothing, does not move at all), so Shaft play, if true, is highly suspicious and concerning.
I got the pump off but the shaft is stuck in the drive.

Bearings in the cone are shot. That's where I assume the play and movement was coming from.

Need to identify the right part and get them on order.

Port side shaft pulled out fine but gonna replace bearings anyway seeing as one set blew after 14 years.

Any advice on what I'm about to do is appreciated as is guidance on how to get the shaft out and make sure I rebuild this thing properly.

Attachments

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found what I thought was gonna be a great thread on impeller bearing replacement but all the pics have been removed.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my first choice would be to wrap some sort of ratchet or tow strap around it and tie it off as parallel as possible so it comes "straight back", put some tension on it, then tap the housing to see if it will let go,
we've had members do everything from putting a 2x4 in through the grate and hit it with a hammer to attaching it to their car with a strap and pulling,

We've got couple of threads about bearings, I did mine last year, I'll try to find one in a few minutes,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
my first choice would be to wrap some sort of ratchet or tow strap around it and tie it off as parallel as possible so it comes "straight back", put some tension on it, then tap the housing to see if it will let go,
we've had members do everything from putting a 2x4 in through the grate and hit it with a hammer to attaching it to their car with a strap and pulling,

We've got couple of threads about bearings, I did mine last year, I'll try to find one in a few minutes,
This has me worried about what has happened on the other side of the shaft.

I crawled under and tried the 2x4, won't budge.

What the heck has it bound up in there? You reckon the splines bound up when the bearings blew?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
could be. Can you try turning the shaft the other way? maybe tapping in and rotating both ways?Like Scott said we have seen pulls with nylon straps by cars to get this off. Could be easy or it could be hard.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
could be. Can you try turning the shaft the other way? maybe tapping in and rotating both ways?Like Scott said we have seen pulls with nylon straps by cars to get this off. Could be easy or it could be hard.
I have banged on it with everything I have and it won't budge.

Guess I'll hook a strap up and try to pull her out with the truck.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do your best to cushion the blow once it does separate from the boat. God Speed and good luck!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do your best to cushion the blow once it does separate from the boat. God Speed and good luck!
She ain't budging, Clark. The Johnson Rod is Welded to Jane Clamp.

My truck is back in the shop, so I ain't got a yanker here.

Guess she'll have to sit and wait.

She is a good wood splitter though. I tried to find a better conduit for the sledgehammer, but the only things I could find that were optimal length were not optimally shaped to rest on the collar and make solid contact.

She wins today...but I will return.