• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Spark

Ian Howard

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey everyone, I've had my 2004 Sugar sand Mirage now for 12 years. Its been an awesome boat.
It has the 210 HP, I've added a wake tower, Speaker cans, Amps and underwater lights. Ive done regular Maintenance on her every year. Sometimes dealer, some times myself with some friends (one buddy has a 2005 Mirage with Opti 200).
This year I unwrap her, clean her lube her and turn the key - and she just turns...NO START
Check Kill switch first - still nothing.
We even removed grey wire from Tach, as a friend had his Tach short causing a no spark - no start situation for him,
Now we check for spark, check 4 plugs - 2 port side and 2 starboard side - no spark.
Did check Stator - use meter to read ohms - seems ok. (Didn't have manual and or internet)
Nope still no spark.

So I'm looking for some advice and or help.
We winterized boat our self last fall - fogged etc - I remember doing it and it started fine then.
Anything anyone can think of would be great. Thx in advance.

Oh I had to rejoin this site, I did join up back in 06 or 07 when I first got my Mirage.
I bought it new in 05 but took delivery in spring of 2006. I did post some pictures on the site back then.

Ian Howard

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There are 6 Ignition coils. Can't see all 6 going bad all at the same time.
I'm thinking I have a grounding issue or trigger issue.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have power to the coils? Most coils use a ground trigger and should have 12 on one pin when you measure to ground. If so, look at the crank / cam sensors and verify property kill switch operation. Is it getting fuel too?

Ian Howard

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
She is getting fuel.
When I turn the key gauges work - fuel and battery. Get single beep as usual.
Didn't have a volt meter till late in the day yesterday. So we didn't check 12v on coils.
Will do that next.
I do have the manual now and will trouble shoot following step by step from service manual.

Ian Howard

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So Update....

Heard from Marina today - seems I need (get ready for this)

1) Stator
2) Trigger
3) Voltage Regulator
4) ECU assembly
5) 2 Switch Box Assy

Just under $4000 includes labour and taxes....aaahhhh

Seems Voltage regulator fried - causing the whole electrical ignition system to fry.

Does that seem right?
I can understand Voltage regulator and Stator, or VR, Stator and Trigger.
But everything at once.
Any input any one can proved would br greatly appreciated...

Thx in advance

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC
Is this the electrical issue you always earn people about?
I can't find an old post at the moment

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He has the v6 mercury engine The one I warn people about is the 3 and 4 cylinder Force Mercury jet engines, however a bad rectifier can allow ac current to travel to electrical components like the brain although I would also be looking at the flywheel magnets on the v6 engine , they come unglued and move out of place.
I would be looking on line for the parts rather than going through the dealer and paying twice the price and check with napa auto parts in their small engine book if they still carry parts for some of those engines like brains coils etc. They did when I owned one of the older jet boats.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also be sure to closely check all ground wires for continuity they rot from the inside and look like they are ok but in reality there is no wire left inside the coating some older coils would do that and fail to work as would brain grounds etc