• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not another subwoofer ? And stereo talk (sound video clips)

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Putting 8's in the bow will definitely do the trick....I might follow suite and run some MX770s up there, or just do a single woofer in the center of the locker and find a home for the other one somewhere which is likely the way I would lean.

@Lion that too was one of my dilemmas, as I wanted to try to run all the same brand/look if possible....although thats what I ended up doing in my personal opinion, I would say getting the best sound far outweighs the look.

Doesn't WS have subs that can be used to stay consistent?

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Putting 8's in the bow will definitely do the trick....I might follow suite and run some MX770s up there, or just do a single woofer in the center of the locker and find a home for the other one somewhere which is likely the way I would lean.

@Lion that too was one of my dilemmas, as I wanted to try to run all the same brand/look if possible....although thats what I ended up doing in my personal opinion, I would say getting the best sound far outweighs the look.

Doesn't WS have subs that can be used to stay consistent?
Wetsounds carries a cpl of 10” free air subs, but was talking with a buddy who had a set and switched to JLs. He said the JL sub in his opinion was a way better sub.
So I started leaning towards the JL...
Also reading comments from fellow boaters here, I have read kinda the same.

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wish I would have had a chance to hear how the Wetsounds sounded on his boat before he switched. I know the JLs that he has now sound awesome.
He is running 2 JL M10IB.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say that most people on here seem to run JLs, mostly the free air ones, and a few others run something diff, mostly in enclosures. I listen to mostly hip-hop so for me Bass was what I needed, hence opting for two JL 12w3's in a box, vs IB subs....if your having any reservation bout the contrasting styles, JL vs WS....I would say based on what others have gone with speaks volumes and the feeling of having the system you want will out weigh the aesthetics.

I have a buddy that runs a mixture of Kicker and JL... no one pays attention to the brands when your bumping, although I understand the dilemma. The opposite is having matching brands, and potentially not being happy about it on the water.

Why not just come on over to the JL family...

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would say that most people on here seem to run JLs, mostly the free air ones, and a few others run something diff, mostly in enclosures. I listen to mostly hip-hop so for me Bass was what I needed, hence opting for two JL 12w3's in a box, vs IB subs....if your having any reservation bout the contrasting styles, JL vs WS....I would say based on what others have gone with speaks volumes and the feeling of having the system you want will out weigh the aesthetics.

I have a buddy that runs a mixture of Kicker and JL... no one pays attention to the brands when your bumping, although I understand the dilemma. The opposite is having matching brands, and potentially not being happy about it on the water.

Lol, to tell you the truth, I was not even thinking about the look and more about having a great sounding system up until someone mentioned it looking stupid.....not mentioning any names....coughing..CraigAR...cough....lol

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The overall aggregated opinions point to JL being overall better than wetsounds for speakers and amps of each type except in one category. Wetsounds is the champion of the HCLD tower speaker with no one else in their weight class. Of course some will disagree but take it in aggregate and draw your own conclusion.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The overall aggregated opinions point to JL being overall better than wetsounds for speakers and amps of each type except in one category. Wetsounds is the champion of the HCLD tower speaker with no one else in their weight class. Of course some will disagree but take it in aggregate and draw your own conclusion.
I am curious what the Kicker new horn speakers will bring to the table. 11" Driver with 1" horn driver, doesn't look like specs are out yet but the WetSounds seem to be low on the efficency side at 92dB. Actually comparing the two, it looks like they directly going after WetSounds, as both their new offerings are 1" larger than the WS, and the 9" handling more power. Added in LEDs and 360 swivel.

Last edited:

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with this statement as well....Plenty of folks running WS Towers who can attest to their performance.

Im not sure how many people on here run the JL M880 towers, but from what I read those will work well for me.....picking them up today!

@adrianp89 WOW......11" drivers...wth, definitely trying to be king of the tower so to speak

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny @Lion. I think I'm ok with it now. For the sub grill cover on the JL I'm going with the classic grill to blend in with the battery storage wall and if it fits facing forward you won't see it.
Screenshot_20180223-153411.jpg
How is everyone wiring their sub amp? Just using the lp filter on the amp or getting a line out converter. Right now I have the 6 inboat speakers (htx-6 amp) wired to the front rca's and my towers (RF m400-4d) wired to the rear rca's.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My HU has sub outputs... that would be the best way to go. I would also filter at around 80hz with the subsonic on (if you have that option)

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Damn, so I have jumped over to the dark side...lol
The estimate I just received was too good to pass up. I just purchased 2 sets of the JL M880 tower speakers, 2- 10” JL IB subs, 1- JL M1000/5v2, 1-M800/8v2

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Funny @Lion. I think I'm ok with it now. For the sub grill cover on the JL I'm going with the classic grill to blend in with the battery storage wall and if it fits facing forward you won't see it.
View attachment 69256
How is everyone wiring their sub amp? Just using the lp filter on the amp or getting a line out converter. Right now I have the 6 inboat speakers (htx-6 amp) wired to the front rca's and my towers (RF m400-4d) wired to the rear rca's.
Now my Wetsounds are really mismatched with my JLs..... thanks a lot Pal....lol

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lion you dont mess around I see....nice equipment choice....2 pair of M880s should sound soooo clean!!

Do you know how you plan on powering everything up.....running the 2 amps, or 3?

Hate to mention is but just send the WS stuff back, and get some JL MX650s, solves the issue of it all matching, lol...

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Lion you dont mess around I see....nice equipment choice....2 pair of M880s should sound soooo clean!!

Do you know how you plan on powering everything up.....running the 2 amps, or 3?

Hate to mention is but just send the WS stuff back, and get some JL MX650s, solves the issue of it all matching, lol...
Rt now I will be running the 2 amps. The guy at the place I purchased the equipment from said that’s plenty but we shall see....lol
As for me sending the wetsounds back..... lol. Don’t even want to go there rt now....lol

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll be sticking with the ws speakers and towers but I think jl makes a better subs and amps. My buddy has jl m650's in his boat with a jl600/6 amp. I had him power down the rest of his system so we could compare the ws650 (100rms) and the jl (75rms) and in both of our opinions the ws sounded better. Now if my ws speakers were all mounted up high that may make a difference. Mounted down low and the mids sound so full and clean at any level and they're loud. I just placed my ordered for the revo 8's, 10ib5, rev 8's and a ws syn-dx6 amp. I'll be keeping the htx-6 on the 6 in boat speakers, running the RF m400-4 bridged to the revo 8's and the ws syn-dx6 bridged for the rev 8's and bridged for to 10ib5. Should sound pretty good.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I love my MX650s so far. They sounded great with just the radio power. Need to get some time with them now that the amp is in, but just the four of them was pretty damn loud and they had a good amount of bass even with the HP set at around 80.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do wish JL amps were closer to 100w @ 4 ohms/channel vs the 75w, I imagine that extra headroom is nice, and likely why the WS sounded better overall....although I can crank my system up the whole way with ZERO distortion, the MX650s with 75w are def solid, but I heard the M650s needs AT LEAST 100w to really come alive...

I think its probably less of one thing or another and more about the whole of the system you put together, as long as you ruin quality stuff you should be happy at the end of the day.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also - just to throw it out there - many opinions suggest the JL M880s may still be the best tower speaker there is - for near distances.
Im not sure how many people on here run the JL M880 towers, but from what I read those will work well for me.....picking them up today!
I think those are the winner for tower speakers unless one wants wakeboarding range.

I chose ICON8s because when I showed pictures of those vs JL M880 the admiral picked the ICONs :rolleyes:. I was not going to argue!

But - I take @lashburn1 and @David Analog advice over most anything - and they seem to think the M880 is the cat's meow https://jetboaters.net/threads/need-help-with-picking-speakers.13190/page-3

--

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I hadn't seen that post, but I have seen @David Analog and 1 other person have solid things to say about it, in addition to the fact that I only got am AR to have a tower for speakers, wakeboarding is a bonus, lol...
And knowing hlcd tend to be a bit bright i figured keeping it 100% JL was just a convenient bonus.

My music is played near field, and sandbars so these should give me what I need.

I just need to fig out a way to add some sound to the bow and vent my subs and I'll be happy...

Oh and add some more lights

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski I hadn't seen that post, but I have seen @David Analog and 1 other person have solid things to say about it, in addition to the fact that I only got am AR to have a tower for speakers, wakeboarding is a bonus, lol...
And knowing hlcd tend to be a bit bright i figured keeping it 100% JL was just a convenient bonus.

My music is played near field, and sandbars so these should give me what I need.

I just need to fig out a way to add some sound to the bow and vent my subs and I'll be happy...

Oh and add some more lights
More lights inside or outside the boat? I was just looking at the drain plug LED light.
Do you know if they are any good? Just curious.... I just saw them for 19.99 obo rt now on eBay.
They even have cup holder light rings for 59.99 obo ...
They think of everything don’t they....lol