• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oh just pullin a 15 month old sbt engine

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I may ask, was it a long block or a short block that you purchased from SBT? And if it was a long block, there appear to be 4 choices: SBT Premium; SBT Standard; Yamaha Premium; or Yamaha Standard. I think that is how it works.
SBT standard

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just broke down and ordered another sbt motor this time with a 2 yr warranty. We have a camping trip planned for 4th of july weekend. Already took vacation and paid for our spot. So sbt was really my only option for us to have the boat by then. I was really hoping to find a problem in the cooling or oiling system and fix it so I wont have this problem again. So far ive went thru everything expect the oil pump im going to tear it down tomorrow. I never got a overheat warning or a oil warning so idk.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, Jaycav. I do not see the screen in the oil tank. You removed it, right?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are garbage engines and a garbage company. Let me clarify that I was talking about 2 stroke engines, not an MR1 clone. But I doubt their customer service and product standard changes depending upon what type of engine you buy (lol rent until it fails).

I won't recount my exhaustive investigative history on this from 2006-2010, but the failures were routine, and dare I say, expected after about 50 hours. As for the warranty during my history? You were provided another garbage replacement engine. However, you paid for shipping both ways (had to pay to send one POS back for the replacement POS) and also had to pay the R&R for your own boat. Garbage for garbage, and you had to pay for the removal and re-install, which is expensive considering all the carbs had to be removed, the oil lines, etc and then re-installed - all not covered by the warranty. After mine failed after 40 hours use and about 14 months later (I didn't get out often and still do not) I kept the core and had it rebuilt by professionals for about 900 bucks. But it was done properly without crap overseas parts which they use. I was able to sell the boat in 2013 and as of 2 years ago, the guy still had it with no engine issues. Side note, you could just tell, when operating, how cheap their engine was in comparison to the Yamaha engine, on sound alone. I remember thinking "This just doesn't sound right. " On sound alone, you could tell it was manufactured with cheap parts.

In any event, if it were me I'd be looking at a jet ski to snag your replacement engine. This certainly won't cost you 15k as a new one would.

EDIT: Good luck with the new one, and at 22 months I would pay to have a mechanic go over the engine with a fine tooth comb, pick out any issues, and make a warranty claim before the two years runs out. So long as you give them notice of the issue in a timely manner, if the 2 years runs with no resolution, you have what you need to proceed with a breach of warranty case.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They are garbage engines and a garbage company. Let me clarify that I was talking about 2 stroke engines, not an MR1 clone. But I doubt their customer service and product standard changes depending upon what type of engine you buy (lol rent until it fails).

I won't recount my exhaustive investigative history on this from 2006-2010, but the failures were routine, and dare I say, expected after about 50 hours. As for the warranty during my history? You were provided another garbage replacement engine. However, you paid for shipping both ways (had to pay to send one POS back for the replacement POS) and also had to pay the R&R for your own boat. Garbage for garbage, and you had to pay for the removal and re-install, which is expensive considering all the carbs had to be removed, the oil lines, etc and then re-installed - all not covered by the warranty. After mine failed after 40 hours use and about 14 months later (I didn't get out often and still do not) I kept the core and had it rebuilt by professionals for about 900 bucks. But it was done properly without crap overseas parts which they use. I was able to sell the boat in 2013 and as of 2 years ago, the guy still had it with no engine issues. Side note, you could just tell, when operating, how cheap their engine was in comparison to the Yamaha engine, on sound alone. I remember thinking "This just doesn't sound right. " On sound alone, you could tell it was manufactured with cheap parts.

In any event, if it were me I'd be looking at a jet ski to snag your replacement engine. This certainly won't cost you 15k as a new one would.
The sbt engine used oil from day one. But if i can make it thru summer my plan is to fin one out of a jet ski have it rebuild and have it ready for next time.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am curious as to the new one cost with a 2 year warranty, and did they pay for the shipping and R&R? I applaud you if you are going to acomplpish this all by July 4! My dealer took 2 weeks to get my spring start done, and I know the owner! Good luck, and remember what I said to do in 22 months!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

EDIT: Good luck with the new one, and at 22 months I would pay to have a mechanic go over the engine with a fine tooth comb, pick out any issues, and make a warranty claim before the two years runs out. So long as you give them notice of the issue in a timely manner, if the 2 years runs with no resolution, you have what you need to proceed with a breach of warranty case.
What gives? SBT offers their engine and the Yamaha engine. Are they both questionable? In fact the yamaha is less expensive. It may be helpful to let all know who those professional rebuilders are.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You misunderstood. I found a local shop (the pre-cursor to Bayside Jet Drive) to rebuild my SBT. That is who the pro was.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am curious as to the new one cost with a 2 year warranty, and did they pay for the shipping and R&R? I applaud you if you are going to acomplpish this all by July 4! My dealer took 2 weeks to get my spring start done, and I know the owner! Good luck, and remember what I said to do in 22 months!
$2850 and 310 for shipping. They dont pay for crap.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You misunderstood. I found a local shop (the pre-cursor to Bayside Jet Drive) to rebuild my SBT. That is who the pro was.
Thanks @OCMD I was on the SBT website. The also sell Yamaha engines. I was wondering if those engines are questionable?

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks @OCMD I was on the SBT website. The also sell Yamaha engines. I was wondering if those engines are questionable?
The first time I bought the sbt version because i didnt have a reusable core. This time i ordered the yamaha version because my core is reusable.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would also think that, unlike all the other great vendors on this site, SBT doesn't seem to have a rep that checks in or that can be tagged in a post like this. His comment about the winter coat - I would've escalated that to the manager / owner. I would never let an employee of mine talk like that to a customer.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ouch. Sorry to hear this. Good luck going forward.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I found this little fella blocking a oil passageF54EA988-4A41-4331-8597-30674977EE80.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pretty sure it’s a piece of the the timing chain guide3CE49599-4E07-4D30-BD87-EEB7595146D3.jpeg
One on the left is in the sbt motor one on the right is out of my original Yamaha motor with 1000ish+ hours. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
image.jpg
thermostat works btw

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do you think happened? What happened to original engine? It had a good number of hours?

Last edited:

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do you think happened? What happened to original engine? It had a good number of hours?
I’m not sure why the back side of that guide would be broke off. The original engine broke a rod. 10 yr old boat that’s about 100 hrs a year

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good luck making it all happen by July 4th. If you are going to look for a better replacement in the off season you may as well buy a used waverunner and use it as is until you take the engine out of it and /or just swap the engines if necessary. This way you will have a waverunner in your fleet as well.