• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oh just pullin a 15 month old sbt engine

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had about 300 flawless hours on an MR1 SBT engine (and then sold the boat). It even had better annual oil analysis results than the factory engine.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had about 300 flawless hours on an MR1 SBT engine (and then sold the boat). It even had better annual oil analysis results than the factory engine.
Just curious, which engine option and warranty package did you buy?

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just curious, which engine option and warranty package did you buy?
The one that failed was SBT standard. This time around I order the premium

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took oil apart and cleaned/rebuild her. The screen did a good job of catching everything D346A7F7-8EB9-4CB3-808A-65B58C3ED306.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Back together Like brand new D158EA5C-CE72-406E-842C-1B201F719C33.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My new motor is due for delivery Monday so I completely pulled old engine apart. I do believe the problem was the timing chain guide. The part of the guide that broke is where the tensioner actually pushes on the guide. I think it was just a faulty part. The pieces of the guide blocked the oil passage just enough to starve the last valve which ended up sticking. Piston hits valve, piston explodes etc. 79A5D94E-05B8-43B6-A22B-A80471449A5A.jpeg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the premium/Yamaha version, with the 2 year warranty.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had the premium/Yamaha version, with the 2 year warranty.
That’s what I got this time. Let’s hope last longer than the last one

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jaycav Thanks for the continuous updates. I have some questions. I cannot see the smashed piston and broken lifter scenario without a broken timing chain. Is it possible that a plastic guide piece or whatever caused the guide to shred got between the cam and the lifter? Did the guide piece delaminate? What does the timing chain tensioner look like? Therefore, I do not see how you are responsible for this. Am I reasoning correctly?

Edit Second scenario: Delaminated chain guide allowed for loose chain leading to chain jump.

Last edited:

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jaycav Thanks for the continuous updates. I have some questions. I cannot see the smashed piston and broken lifter scenario without a broken timing chain. Is it possible that a plastic guide piece or whatever caused the guide to shred got between the cam and the lifter? Did the guide piece delaminate? What does the timing chain tensioner look like? Therefore, I do not see how you are responsible for this. Am I reasoning correctly?

Edit Second scenario: Delaminated chain guide allowed for loose chain leading to chain jump.
The timing chain was not broke. The tensioner looked fine and was still Functionable. The guide did look like it delaminated. The chain seemed tight but your theory of chain jump which would cause a valve to hit a piston is a possibility and it makes sense to me.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The timing chain was not broke. The tensioner looked fine and was still Functionable. The guide did look like it delaminated. The chain seemed tight but your theory of chain jump which would cause a valve to hit a piston is a possibility and it makes sense to me.
When I say delaminated I mean-the new guide looks like it has a thick curved wedge fused/plastic welded to it. That is the part that is missing from the failed guide. The chain tensioner pushes against that wedge. That should not have fallen apart. The slack created when that wedge came off the guide, could have allowed the chain to jump.

Last edited:

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When I say delaminated I mean-the new guide looks like it has a thick curved wedge fused/plastic welded to it. That is the part that is missing from the failed guide. The chain tensioner pushes against that wedge. That should not have fallen apart. The slack created when that wedge came off the guide, could have allowed the chain to jump.
I agree

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boo yah B2BE72CB-2683-4F3E-B1F9-56BBD0539106.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
She’s in 568F42C8-0E4D-4A32-8B6E-43C7BD8D5286.jpeg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Nicely done! Let us know your on-water results!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaycav , do you did this kind of work for a living or hobby? I’d bet the former because you seem to have all the skills and tools needed.

I hope the new engine has no gremlins and lasts as long as you own the boat.