• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oh just pullin a 15 month old sbt engine

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My first sbt engine failure was because the timing chain guide failed. My problem with them is that they are noncaring a$$holes to deal with.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jaycav I agree. I think the chain may have been too tight, causing the guide to delaminate. If you did not overtighten the chain tensioner, then it came from the factory that way. Have you reported your findings to SBT. They should be aware of this potential problem. I know this is speculation on my part, but I think it is reasonable.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Jaycav I agree. I think the chain may have been too tight, causing the guide to delaminate. If you did not overtighten the chain tensioner, then it came from the factory that way. Have you reported your findings to SBT. They should be aware of this potential problem. I know this is speculation on my part, but I think it is reasonable.
Yea it was either to tight or bad material. I tried talking to them about it but the dude is a straight up dbag on the phone. Trying to tell that guy anything is like telling a woman to calm down.
The new one is in and running good so i got my fingers crossed that it last this time around.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Time for a update. New engine is using some oil. I ran a compression test all cylinders are right at 210-214ish.

Attachments

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope there is no problem. My '73 Harley loved oil.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Lilman573

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice update. Keep putting those hours on while the warranty is still there! haha

I have about 12 hours on mine and it seems to be pretty happy so far. I haven't noticed it using any oil, but I also have the non HO version.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice update. Keep putting those hours on while the warranty is still there! haha

I have about 12 hours on mine and it seems to be pretty happy so far. I haven't noticed it using any oil, but I also have the non HO version.
We have a poker run this weekend so itll have a few more on it this week.

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the midst of an SBT ordeal as well.click my thread and find out.i am on engine number 4 in two months.they are sending me shit out of the box.

Lilman573

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the midst of an SBT ordeal as well.click my thread and find out.i am on engine number 4 in two months.they are sending me shit out of the box.
Just read your thread. Sorry to see that man. So far my 1100 motor has been doing well. Were all replacements rebuilds? I got the SBT new long block. Which one did you end up with this last round?

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yup they suck. Im on my second engine from them and it’s using oil like crazy

Lilman573

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. All 1.8L rebuilds or SBT new?

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now you tell me. lol. I just learned (again) the hard way. I don’t remember it sucking that bad last time.
Do you have any tips that you learned doing it the hard way? I'm reinstalling my exhaust manifold and I'm 3 bloody knuckles into installing the downpipe that connects the 2 manifold pieces. If there was even a half inch of wiggle room I'd be done by now.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Doncore3000 By using a wooden beam as a gantry, an innovative member was able to span between the rear cupholders. With the front motor mounts loose, he was able to raise the engine enough to get the bolts back in. If you attempt this, take care not to damage the couplers. I think he just loosened the rear mounting bolts a little to let the engine move slightly.

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Doncore3000 By using a wooden beam as a gantry, an innovative member was able to span between the rear cupholders. With the front motor mounts loose, he was able to raise the engine enough to get the bolts back in. If you attempt this, take care not to damage the couplers. I think he just loosened the rear mounting bolts a little to let the engine move slightly.
I was able to get it on there through sheer determination. One of the alignment pins was just a little tight so it took a lot of wiggly pressure to set it in place. It's just hard to support your body in a comfortable position and generate enough upward pressure to connect. I torqued on it from side to side even though it felt like it wasn't moving, and it finally settled in place.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Doncore3000 I On 2007 SX230HO, I had to loosen , part 3, the Exhaust Pipe Stay in order to wiggle the Exhaust Pipe into place. Those bolts are hard to reach. Hope all goes well!
1624974924738.png

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys think it's safe to add a little more oil than what it recommends for a 2010?

Lilman573

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys think it's safe to add a little more oil than what it recommends for a 2010?
You are checking the oil once the motor is at running temp. Oil should be between the lines. Why would you want to fill it past the full line? If you overfill it, it will puke oil into the intake tract and ruin the filters.

Is your boat using oil?

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Doncore3000 I On 2007 SX230HO, I had to loosen , part 3, the Exhaust Pipe Stay in order to wiggle the Exhaust Pipe into place. Those bolts are hard to reach. Hope all goes well!
View attachment 155171
Thanks for reaching out. We finally got a break in the rain long enough to take the boat cover off so I could continue working and I got everything together right back to the long muffler piece that attaches to the "UP" piece. Unfortunately, I didn't do a great job of inspecting the hardware when it came off and two of the bolts that connect the muffler to the engine were not reusable so I'm waiting for new ones.