• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ohio to Bimini-2019

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
isnt that right next by lake Erie?
Yup id been on that lake growing up, id go to bimini by myself at night with a half tank of gas before i go out on lake erie. That's one of the most unpredictable bodies of water there is. That shit can blow in on you in the blink of an eye.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DIRTYOAR I like the enthusiasm and the All Capital. I cannot wait to hear you on the VHF while going over 5 footers.
" GERONIM BAM"

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm interested in going this next year. We'd be leaving from Nashville, TN. I agree that caravanning down together is tough to do based on preferred speeds. I do think that if someone in this forum said that they'd be stopping at a certain hotel, it would be nice to meet up with other boaters to get to know people and make sure that we're prepared for the trip. So if someone starts making hotel reservations- let the rest of us know.
I think maybe when it gets closer we can all exchange phone numbers and kinda check in with each other to see where people are planning on staying that night and sort of coordinate-on-the-fly that way. I try to not let the naysayers (and there are a lot of them) dictate my actions here.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yup id been on that lake growing up, id go to bimini by myself at night with a half tank of gas before i go out on lake erie. That's one of the most unpredictable bodies of water there is. That shit can blow in on you in the blink of an eye.
So you need to visit shelbyville party, err i mean gathering!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@DIRTYOAR I like the enthusiasm and the All Capital. I cannot wait to hear you on the VHF while going over 5 footers.
" GERONIM BAM"
Betik, i can't get your voice out of my head when i read your messages here.
It's always "jet boaters jet boaters jet boaters!"
Not an insult, i loved every minute of the smooth crossing we had!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Speedling what I could not get of my mind was the 2017 crossing. So during the while time I had a constant fear that a storm will pop out of nowhere, LOL we have a awesome weather and that made all the difference in the world.

Note: no worries about insulating me. I am just surprised. Typically it is girls who usually cannot get my voice out of their minds. :)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sbrown we have been chatting for close to a year now, and I know that you know better than that, but I understand that coprolalia is involuntary. So I wont take this personally :(
Me being a "naysayer" when it comes to going to Bimini or "dictate" people what to do, it is kind of an oxymoron. For someone with your level of eloquence I expect something better.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I am moving to akron Ohio (fucking Army). But my wife and boat are staying in Tampa FL so ill be driving down without the boat a few days before this years trip.
Welcome to Ohio @Drift Away!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sbrown we have been chatting for close to a year now, and I know that you know better than that, but I understand that coprolalia is involuntary. So I wont take this personally :(
Me being a "naysayer" when it comes to going to Bimini or "dictate" people what to do, it is kind of an oxymoron. For someone with your level of eloquence I expect something better.
Interesting, but inappropriate, response. Sounds like you're taking it personally. My statement stands as is. I feel like I'm reading a lot of negativity and dissuasion coming in response to some of these posts and I think it's more than a little ridiculous. And, no your insult didn't slip by me.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting, but inappropriate, response. My statement stands as is. I feel like I'm reading a lot of negativity and dissuasion coming in response to some of these posts and I think it's more than a little ridiculous. Also, small suggestion, next time you try to use a big word to insult somebody, try using it correctly. Just a suggestion.
I appreciate you trying to help me with my english, but given coprolalia is Greek and it so happens to be my native language, I hope I have a better understanding than Webster or Wikipedia. Me calling you flat out that you are full of sh*t is an insult, but your subtle message that I am trying to dictate other jet-boaters what to is just an innocent statement of fact.

I very clearly said on post #13 that it will be good if people coordinate, but do not count on a caravan for 1,000 miles. I even volunteered to drive from Dallas to Nashville to look on some random dude's boat, but I somehow I am a naysayer with negativity.
It is no secret that someone who prefers the comfort of a caravan will most likely be comfortable to drive below the speed limit ( 60 to 65 range). By creating a caravan you are potentially forcing them to follow people doing 90+ mph. There have been more than one member joking how they forgot their InReach one and their mas mph was above 90mph. A very basic understanding of human psychology is adequate to draw the conclusion he or she will feel pressured to keep up, especially if the crossing day moves a day or 2 ( like in did on 2018 and 2016). As far as I am concerned, it will be irresponsible for me not to point up out reality. Take a poll and see how many 1,000 miles long caravans have worked either in 2018 or 2016? For the love of God, Bryan, JerseyYami and Marcus who are friends could not stay together and they have met before to arrange and were even supposed to be in the same group for the crossing. When I headed north to meet Bryan, I saw JerseyYami was about 60 minute ahead of Bryan, but we got at Publix about 30 minutes before he did. When you are planing 7 months in advance for Monday crossing and and on Wednesday night you are told, it is either a Saturday morning or NoGo, booked hotels and caravans are a bad idea. I would love nothing more than to see 30 jetboats following each other on I-95, but wishful thinking and reality are two separate worlds.

I don't understand why you tent to interpret "attempt to help" as "being told what to do" . This is forum its is not a boot camp. I have no authority over you or anyone. You want to go to Bimini with no passport more power to you, want to have party from PA to FL, even better, but you need to make sure people are aware of both positives and negatives.

Probably freaking everyone out on dry land and we are supposed to help them cross the stream on class D boats.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I appreciate you trying to help me with my english, but given coprolalia is Greek and it so happens to be my native language, I hope I have a better understanding than Webster or Wikipedia. Me calling you flat out that you are full of sh*t is an insult, but your subtle message that I am trying to dictate other jet-boaters what to is just an innocent statement of fact.

I very clearly said on post #13 that it will be good if people coordinate, but do not count on a caravan for 1,000 miles. I even volunteered to drive from Dallas to Nashville to look on some random dude's boat, but I somehow I am a naysayer with negativity.
It is no secret that someone who prefers the comfort of a caravan will most likely be comfortable to drive below the speed limit ( 60 to 65 range). By creating a caravan you are potentially forcing them to follow people doing 90+ mph. There have been more than one member joking how they forgot their InReach one and their mas mph was above 90mph. A very basic understanding of human psychology is adequate to draw the conclusion he or she will feel pressured to keep up, especially if the crossing day moves a day or 2 ( like in did on 2018 and 2016). As far as I am concerned, it will be irresponsible for me not to point up out reality. Take a poll and see how many 1,000 miles long caravans have worked either in 2018 or 2016? For the love of God, Bryan, JerseyYami and Marcus who are friends could not stay together and they have met before to arrange and were even supposed to be in the same group for the crossing. When I headed north to meet Bryan, I saw JerseyYami was about 60 minute ahead of Bryan, but we got at Publix about 30 minutes before he did. When you are planing 7 months in advance for Monday crossing and and on Wednesday night you are told, it is either a Saturday morning or NoGo, booked hotels and caravans are a bad idea. I would love nothing more than to see 30 jetboats following each other on I-95, but wishful thinking and reality are two separate worlds.

I don't understand why you tent to interpret "attempt to help" as "being told what to do" . This is forum its is not a boot camp. I have no authority over you or anyone. You want to go to Bimini with no passport more power to you, want to have party from PA to FL, even better, but you need to make sure people are aware of both positives and negatives.

Probably freaking everyone out on dry land and we are supposed to help them cross the stream on class D boats.
Co-ordination is definitely key, no doubt. I've been part of many caravans that ran much farther than 1000 miles and all stayed together just fine. Just a matter of communication and coordination. One rule psychology classes should have taught you is not to project your own foibles on others.

DIRTYOAR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think maybe when it gets closer we can all exchange phone numbers and kinda check in with each other to see where people are planning on staying that night and sort of coordinate-on-the-fly that way. I try to not let the naysayers (and there are a lot of them) dictate my actions here.
YUUP I AGREE. exchange phone number and try and meetup on the drive down, but if not meet at hotel and go from there.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well everybody, I started this post and their has been allot of great comments, suggestions, constructive feedback and "things to consider and ponder".
My guess it will come down to combination of a little bit of all of them. The one thing I was definitely not aware of was that due to the weather, the trip may leave a day or two early or late, which makes perfect sense to keep everybody safe. But, trying to plan on that is a little harder. Since several of you have done this before and I imagine have had to deal with this scenario, how does it work out when you have set reservations both in Florida and in Bimini and you end up leaving early and arrive in Bimini before your reservation, or vise versa.
It also means you have to take 2-3 extra vacation days to accommodate the changes. AGH!!!! Telling the wife that are sleeping in the truck or boat would go over like lead balloon!

DIRTYOAR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yea that is a hard one to plan. But getting down 2 days before is fine. just plan to be down 2 days early and explore FL for 2days if needed and take a day to check over and recharge your own batteries. As far as staying a extra day or 2 later... yea not sure.. 3 hour cruise a 3 hour cruise..
lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Co-ordination is definitely key, no doubt. I've been part of many caravans that ran much farther than 1000 miles and all stayed together just fine. Just a matter of communication and coordination. One rule psychology classes should have taught you is not to project your own foibles on others.
How about this, we pick up this up over dinner at Big John's in north Bimini? We can talk about what you learn in PSY101 and what you learn in grad school. And if any 2 rigs make a 1,000 miles trip without loosing visual contact or feeling pressure to keep up or slow down; I will get dinner for both crews.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yea that is a hard one to plan. But getting down 2 days before is fine. just plan to be down 2 days early and explore FL for 2days if needed and take a day to check over and recharge your own batteries. As far as staying a extra day or 2 later... yea not sure.. 3 hour cruise a 3 hour cruise..
lol
at the risk of sounding negative and discouraging, I would say it is not that simple. I will take a 6 hour cruise with 1 footers over a 3 hour cruise with 5 footers. You and I have no control over the weather or surprise storms. There is also a point where turning around is not even an option. Please do not take the 2018 crossing as a representative sample of what we are expected to face during our crossing. We need to prepare ourself for 2017 type scenario.

If you do not have time to read all of this, at the very least please start reading from page 136 post # 2716.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/jetboaters-net-bimini-fling-july-10th-to-15th-2017.11966/page-136

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It also means you have to take 2-3 extra vacation days to accommodate the changes. AGH!!!! Telling the wife that are sleeping in the truck or boat would go over like lead balloon!
this trip on our boats is a logistical nightmare, but generally speaking spouses tent to forget about the all the hassle within hours of arriving at Binini.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
this trip on our boats is a logistical nightmare, but generally speaking spouses tent to forget about the all the hassle within hours of arriving at Binini.
I agree and disageree. My spouse still has PTSD from the 2017 disaster we experienced. The one thing we've learned from that year's trip is over prepare over prepare over prepare. 2 is 1, 1 is none. 2 of everything. Primary and backup.