• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ohio to Bimini-2019

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The one thing I was definitely not aware of was that due to the weather, the trip may leave a day or two early or late, which makes perfect sense to keep everybody safe. But, trying to plan on that is a little harder.
It also means you have to take 2-3 extra vacation days to accommodate the changes.
So the best thing you can do is plan the extra days into your vacation now. This trip is usually planed to leave on a Monday morning I would go ahead and plan on being in Florida no latter then Saturday with the availability to arrive Saturday morning if needed. The end is a little easier to figure out as if you need to leave a few days early you can or if you can't leave late you can always fly home and fly back down the next weekend and get the boat in an emergency. Planning for the worst way in advance will significantly improve the likely hood of you having a successful fun trip with as little stress as possible. You do have to roll into it knowing that the whole thing could fall apart last second though and be willing to except that.

Overall it really isn't that bad when the dates change as long as you planned for the time off up front for it. Shifting reservations can get a little tricky but we have pretty much all made it work each year. This year was the most difficult time we had on switching reservations as the sands was over booked but I know at least on the June trip we all banded together made sure everyone had a place to stay as many of us had to share a unit with others for one night to make it work. Nothing like crashing on a strangers couch for a night in paradise for a vacation ice breaker :cool:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one thing we've learned from that year's trip is over prepare over prepare over prepare. 2 is 1, 1 is none. 2 of everything. Primary and backup.
that is exactly what I have been trying to say, that we need over prepare even it looks like an overkill.
I think your adventure was a bit rougher than the average! Yet, she did have a nice time for the rest of the week right ?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that is exactly what I have been trying to say, that we need over prepare even it looks like an overkill.
I think your adventure was a bit rougher than the average! Yet, she did have a nice time for the rest of the week right ?
She did till about thurs and we started planning the ride back

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, was bored at lunch while at work today and decided to check out the prices, etc of the resorts in Bimini. Mainly check out the ones where most have stayed on past Bimini Trips.

So as I was plugging dates in on several sites to get the room prices etc. Several were already booked full most of the weeks in June-July (Bimini Sands) along with the smaller Condo's etc.

Read many reviews some of the other resorts and appears to me that if it were not for the fact that they kinda have a captive audience with limited choices, they would be out of business.

I know its all about the trip and running around on the boat, but not crazy about dropping $1500.00 for 5-6 nights and stay in a total shit hole.

I guess my point with all this (if there is one?) Who-ever is organizing the June / July trips should probably announce the dates sooner than later as the places are booking up quickly.

Maybe this is normal not sure?? Probably worrying about nothing.

I did notice that there is "Bahama Fling -Southern Boating" that has trips scheduled almost every weekend Thursday thru Sunday, leaving from Bahia Mar, to Bimini, looks open to all boats, styles.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, was bored at lunch while at work today and decided to check out the prices, etc of the resorts in Bimini. Mainly check out the ones where most have stayed on past Bimini Trips.

So as I was plugging dates in on several sites to get the room prices etc. Several were already booked full most of the weeks in June-July (Bimini Sands) along with the smaller Condo's etc.

Read many reviews some of the other resorts and appears to me that if it were not for the fact that they kinda have a captive audience with limited choices, they would be out of business.

I know its all about the trip and running around on the boat, but not crazy about dropping $1500.00 for 5-6 nights and stay in a total shit hole.

I guess my point with all this (if there is one?) Who-ever is organizing the June / July trips should probably announce the dates sooner than later as the places are booking up quickly.

Maybe this is normal not sure?? Probably worrying about nothing.

I did notice that there is "Bahama Fling -Southern Boating" that has trips scheduled almost every weekend Thursday thru Sunday, leaving from Bahia Mar, to Bimini, looks open to all boats, styles.
@Mike Clark yeah I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Dates have always been announced in January once we have worked things out with Bahia Mar and the Sands. The bad news is I have a feeling it could be later then normal that the dates get announced this year due to various reasons. $1500 for just ok accommodations is just about par for the course Unfortunately but there are some nicer options that are a little more expensive but to be honest you will be in condo so little I wouldn’t stress that to hard either.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mike Clark the organizers put a tremendous amount of effort to take care of pretty much all the details. If you want to keep an eye on the process our group is making you might want to monitor the progress on this link

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2019-bimini-trip-unofficial-thread-until-admin-puts-official-one-up.18897/

If you are getting bored during lunch , you might want to read the following link. I am fairly positive that there are one or 2 mods your boat will need prior to the the trip
https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/

PS. earlier today Bruce said that things are looking up at Bimini Sands

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I had two condos at sands due to the early arrival and can tell you, they were very different in quality, fit and finish.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mike Clark, work ethic and expectations are very different in the Bahamas than in the US.

If you want a luxury resort experience head to Sandals, Atlantis or something of that ilk.

Bimini is an adventure. Lodging is exactly that, a place to stay. Some will be quite sparse while others will have more features. If you stay for a week the power will most likely go out at some point regardless of where you stay.

Bimini Sands has the most features such as full kitchens, laundry, AC, multiple bathrooms in most units, floating docks. The quality of furnishings and maintenance varies greatly between condos which are primarily privately owned.

We had significant issues at Bimini Sands this year due to an aggressive “manager” “appointed” by the developer who wants to end events at Bimini Sands.

As for being sold out, most Bimini locations have poor online booking. I can assure you that Bimini lodging is mostly available at this point.

As for having big JetBoaters events in Bimini in 2019 that is dependent on whether or not Bimini Sands gets their shit together. The HOAs are making good noises but failure to act has already destroyed the existing rental business and poisoned many JetBoaters against staying at Bimini Sands again. I hear from various parties at Bimini Sands most weeks.

In December I will discuss the situation with other Bimini veterans and decide what to do for 2019. There is no benefit in doing so earlier as there is no reliable information to act upon. If Bimini Sands does not improve there likely will be a number of smaller trips to Bimini and beyond led by previous Bimini veterans.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Mike Clark, work ethic and expectations are very different in the Bahamas than in the US.

If you want a luxury resort experience head to Sandals, Atlantis or something of that ilk.

Bimini is an adventure. Lodging is exactly that, a place to stay. Some will be quite sparse while others will have more features. If you stay for a week the power will most likely go out at some point regardless of where you stay.

Bimini Sands has the most features such as full kitchens, laundry, AC, multiple bathrooms in most units, floating docks. The quality of furnishings and maintenance varies greatly between condos which are primarily privately owned.

We had significant issues at Bimini Sands this year due to an aggressive “manager” “appointed” by the developer who wants to end events at Bimini Sands.

As for being sold out, most Bimini locations have poor online booking. I can assure you that Bimini lodging is mostly available at this point.

As for having big JetBoaters events in Bimini in 2019 that is dependent on whether or not Bimini Sands gets their shit together. The HOAs are making good noises but failure to act has already destroyed the existing rental business and poisoned many JetBoaters against staying at Bimini Sands again. I hear from various parties at Bimini Sands most weeks.

In December I will discuss the situation with other Bimini veterans and decide what to do for 2019. There is no benefit in doing so earlier as there is no reliable information to act upon. If Bimini Sands does not improve there likely will be a number of smaller trips to Bimini and beyond led by previous Bimini veterans.
I don't plan on going 2019 but for clarification, when you say smaller groups are you thinking smaller groups will be ok at sands or going elsewhere to places that can't accommodate our always growing group?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't plan on going 2019 but for clarification, when you say smaller groups are you thinking smaller groups will be ok at sands or going elsewhere to places that can't accommodate our always growing group?
Other Bimini locations can not accommodate groups of our size.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since the sands is becoming a issue anyonr think anout a Key west trip?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Since the sands is becoming a issue anyonr think anout a Key west trip?
That was one of our backup plans this year. I am sure many think the same way. I mean, once in florida anyways.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was one of our backup plans this year. I am sure many think the same way. I mean, once in florida anyways.
I agree 100%. The water is just as nice and not As logistically challenging. And much much less wear and tear on the boats

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes.. 14 hours from me... but i guess it can be off set by not having the customs stuff to worry about. What are the cost comparisons like for the two? Bimini vs key west

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could also just trailer to Marco Island and boat to KW from there. ~90 miles?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes.. 14 hours from me... but i guess it can be off set by not having the customs stuff to worry about. What are the cost comparisons like for the two? Bimini vs key west

The Keyes are awesome and if you have never been with a boat it is worth doing. Costs of the trip would be similar as neither is cheap. The drive is several hours longer but there are no staging and make up days like in a Bimini trip so the extra drive hours are kind of made up in that you don’t have to spend a day staging in Ft Lauderdale before you go to Bimini or worrying if the weather will be suitable to cross or planing extra days Incase the trip gets moved up. Still a lot to do on the water and supplies are readily available so really the big difference is the Keyes would be easier. That being said they are still two very different experiences you won’t feel like you are on out island trip in the Bahamas you will feel like you are Florida with nice water. Bimini is an adventure the Keyes is more like a true vacation with a boat if you brought it. Not saying either is better as they are just different kind of like comparing apples and oranges and some days you want apples and sometimes you want an orange.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Keyes are awesome and if you have never been with a boat it is worth doing. Costs of the trip would be similar as neither is cheap. The drive is several hours longer but there are no staging and make up days like in a Bimini trip so the extra drive hours are kind of made up in that you don’t have to spend a day staging in Ft Lauderdale before you go to Bimini or worrying if the weather will be suitable to cross or planing extra days Incase the trip gets moved up. Still a lot to do on the water and supplies are readily available so really the big difference is the Keyes would be easier. That being said they are still two very different experiences you won’t feel like you are on out island trip in the Bahamas you will feel like you are Florida with nice water. Bimini is an adventure the Keyes is more like a true vacation with a boat if you brought it. Not saying either is better as they are just different kind of like comparing apples and oranges and some days you want apples and sometimes you want an orange.
Without the extra days built in at the start and end of the trip, might make it a little more eaiser for some people. This might be something i look into and see if i can find a nice place with a marina with docks they are affordable. I just dont see the Sands coming around with all the issues last years trip have to deal with.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We will be driving from lake Lanier area to fort Lauderdale. Planning on dropping kids off at my sister in laws Friday morning and getting into fort lauderdale Friday night. 10.5hr drive.

This is all dependent of week we have grandparents agreeing to watch kids line up.

On the note about kids... well my then 2 year old would be one best suited. All my kids love the boat, but he is fearless. He stands in bow holding the handrails yelling whoooo